Mother F KHS bikes - buyer beware- Mtbr.com
    Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

Mother F KHS bikes - buyer beware

For all those in the market for a reasonably priced Freeride frame (or any frame for that matter), steer clear of any frame/bike made by KHS or you will be screwed.

After looking around for a cheap XC/FR ride I decided to get a KHS FR2000. I have a friedn that rides for KHS who had an 03 frame from last year that was sitting arround so I bought. When I get it home I discover that the shock mounting hardware is jacked and I will need to get new hardware. So I call KHS and was told to contact the shock mfg. So I call FOX and Romic, both tell me that the hardware is supplied by the bike mfg. So I call KHS again and this time ask for Customer Service Mgr, she informs me that I
    "Cannot order direct from KHS and have to use my LBS."
    Sure I say, can I get the part #?
    "We don't have that info."
    What do you mean, how do I order the part then?
    "Just take it to them and they'll find something to fit"
    (me starting to get aggrivated) I tell the lady that will not work, I would like the actual bolt not some makeshift part. The bike is still in mfg and parts should be available.
    "Just take it to the LBS that is all the help I can offer".
    Frustrated I hang up. Still 5 days now without shock hardware and no resolution in site.

People please, I beg you, do not do business with these [email protected] Save your money and spend it elsewhere wisely.

if anyone has a suggestion on where to find parts please let me know. I spent 3 hours last evening at 2 different HW stores trying to find something that would work with no luck. Thanks, just wanted to vent and hopefully save someone else this frustration.

LT1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

...can you post some pics ?...

...can you post some pics, Red ? You offered me some tires (it was you, right ?) so I'll try to help you out...I'll check my shock mounting junk at home. If you just need the bolts, are they metric, like 8mm ?

Post some pics of the mounting system, like I said, I'll help you as much as I can...if I can...

Born of Fire
    Where did you buy the bike? Was it still in the box when you got it home? Why didn't you look at the bike before you bought it?

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pufdup
    Where did you buy the bike? Was it still in the box when you got it home? Why didn't you look at the bike before you bought it?
    Bike was purchased from one of the KHS Semi-Pro MTX/DS riders. I didn't honestly think I need to check it, since the gentleman I bought it from is my bud. After speaking with him about this later, he told me that the original bolt got broke and he just replaced it with what he had since he needed the bike. He never thought to replace it stock, since he was going to sell it. I though no big deal I'll call KHS, I was wrong!!

It's looking like he's getting the bike back, since I cannot get parts for it this is not good.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1
    ...can you post some pics, Red ? You offered me some tires (it was you, right ?) so I'll try to help you out...I'll check my shock mounting junk at home. If you just need the bolts, are they metric, like 8mm ?

Post some pics of the mounting system, like I said, I'll help you as much as I can...if I can...
    LT1, honestly I'm not sure if it was you or not. But I do offer people help with tires from time to time so either way your help would be appreciated. However I will tell you this is not normal mounting hardware, at least not from what I've seen on most bikes. I will try to post pics later. Thanks

Born of Fire
    Have you tried any of the mail order shops that sell KHS?

Removed at birth
    Red, I noticed that you removed KHS from your "friends" list. Nice move. How does Evil feel about this situation? Can't he do anything to hook you up? Ride tomorrow at the Oaks?
    Peace out! War In!

Pro Crastinator
    this baby lasted thru 4 years of my abuse..... (and i still have it)
    Last edited by .WestCoastHucker.; 01-23-2007 at 10:02 AM.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pufdup
    Have you tried any of the mail order shops that sell KHS?

Yes several online shops and local dealers and they all get the same response " call the shock mfg". Their just full of BS. I called the BBB and filed a complaint, even though it will do no good in the end.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Weyvoless
    Red, I noticed that you removed KHS from your "friends" list. Nice move. How does Evil feel about this situation? Can't he do anything to hook you up? Ride tomorrow at the Oaks?
    Yeah, I don't hold allot of regard for them. Their team riders are cool, but as a company they s*ck!!! Sadly, Evil is racing in Idaho and then Colorado for the next few weeks so I cannot bother him. Unfortunately, I doubt there is anything he can do since the team riders I guess couldn't get them either. At least that was the feeling I got from Evil. Nice company!!! What time at Oaks?? Shuttle??

New project, TBA shortly
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Yes several online shops and local dealers and they all get the same response " call the shock mfg". Their just full of BS. I called the BBB and filed a complaint, even though it will do no good in the end.
    to the best of my knowledge it is the shock manufacturer who provides the hardware.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by dante
    to the best of my knowledge it is the shock manufacturer who provides the hardware.
    another reason to buy a FOES ........

Removed at birth
    7:30 Albertson's parking lot, and we can shuttle if you'd like. I'll bring the 67 if you are gonna be there. Let me know....(949)294-9633.
    Peace out! War In!

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dante
    Only the bushings and reducers, not the bolts, at least according to Fox and Romic. And I'm more inclined to beleive them since KHS didn't even want or care to help me.

Broken and dizzy
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    another reason to buy a FOES ........
    Amen brother! Foes rocks!

Red, I feel your pain man. Personally, I'd call Fox or Romic back and explian to them what's going on. Don't be aggressive, just be truthful and sob it up a little. Hopefully, things will get straightened out. Good luck.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfinguru

Red, I feel your pain man. Personally, I'd call Fox or Romic back and explian to them what's going on. Don't be aggressive, just be truthful and sob it up a little. Hopefully, things will get straightened out. Good luck.
    I'd tried all that with Fox and Romic. Beleive me I was being very humble with Fox, Romic and even KHS (in the beginning). But when KHS started telling me that basically they cannot help and weren't even willing to try, I pretty much started to develop an attitude with them.

Romic did offer up a nut/bolt supplier in my area that might ba able to help, so tomorrow I'm taking my frame and shock over to them and keeping my fingers crossed. I hope this works out, I really like the frame and don't expect any further problems after this so once this gets sorted I should be good. Thanks for the tip.

user-created
    There are stores around the specialize in weird bolts... that is, if you can't find something at the hardware store....

Anyways, check the yellow pages for "bolts". Most towns of decent size will have such a place, it's usually right next to the bearing store and three doors down from the guy who does powdercoating.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    There are stores around the specialize in weird bolts... that is, if you can't find something at the hardware store....

Anyways, check the yellow pages for "bolts". Most towns of decent size will have such a place, it's usually right next to the bearing store and three doors down from the guy who does powdercoating.
    Yeah I tried the LHS, nothing. Anyhow, I wouldn't be so upset except the fact is that this is not an average run of the mill fastner. It's really trick check my f*d up pic..
    Attached Images Attached Images

user-created
    Yeah I tried the LHS, nothing. Anyhow, I wouldn't be so upset except the fact is that this is not an average run of the mill fastner. It's really trick check my f*d up pic..
    Nice illustration....

Hey my buddies KHS 504 broke and we cut out the bb to send back... but the shock hardware is still laying around somewhwere. Possibly the same... they look similar to your drawing, probably the same length/diameter. You got a caliper or something you can get a real measurment with? If they're the same you're welcome to the hardware. PM if you want.

I gotta go to work now, wont be back for a while...

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    Nice illustration....

Hey my buddies KHS 504 broke and we cut out the bb to send back... but the shock hardware is still laying around somewhwere. Possibly the same... they look similar to your drawing, probably the same length/diameter. You got a caliper or something you can get a real measurment with? If they're the same you're welcome to the hardware. PM if you want.

I gotta go to work now, wont be back for a while...

PM sent. Thanks.

jrm
    mtbr member

Alot of time

For all those in the market for a reasonably priced Freeride frame (or any frame for that matter), steer clear of any frame/bike made by KHS or you will be screwed.

After looking around for a cheap XC/FR ride I decided to get a KHS FR2000. I have a friedn that rides for KHS who had an 03 frame from last year that was sitting arround so I bought. When I get it home I discover that the shock mounting hardware is jacked and I will need to get new hardware. So I call KHS and was told to contact the shock mfg. So I call FOX and Romic, both tell me that the hardware is supplied by the bike mfg. So I call KHS again and this time ask for Customer Service Mgr, she informs me that I
    "Cannot order direct from KHS and have to use my LBS."
    Sure I say, can I get the part #?
    "We don't have that info."
    What do you mean, how do I order the part then?
    "Just take it to them and they'll find something to fit"
    (me starting to get aggrivated) I tell the lady that will not work, I would like the actual bolt not some makeshift part. The bike is still in mfg and parts should be available.
    "Just take it to the LBS that is all the help I can offer".
    Frustrated I hang up. Still 5 days now without shock hardware and no resolution in site.

People please, I beg you, do not do business with these [email protected] Save your money and spend it elsewhere wisely.

if anyone has a suggestion on where to find parts please let me know. I spent 3 hours last evening at 2 different HW stores trying to find something that would work with no luck. Thanks, just wanted to vent and hopefully save someone else this frustration.

You can buy the same bolt at the hardware store or marine hardware store.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    You can buy the same bolt at the hardware store or marine hardware store.
    Hey thanks Jrm, never thought about a marine supply store, I'll give that a try if the place Romic suggested to me doesn't pan out.

TNC
    noMAD man

Yeah, a KHS part not the shock company.

That hardware looks a lot like the pivot axle parts in a BETD or MRP Specialized bearing conversion kit, so it will definitely be a KHS proprietary item. I guess about the only thing the shock manufacturers normally provide are the bushings and the appropriate bushing spacers for the head and tail eyelets. I wonder what the KHS headquarters actually looks like here in the U.S.--a broom closet? Maybe they just get frames or complete bikes sent to a warehouse and don't really even offer any support in terms of parts. Here's something really weird that I've seen while working at a shop. We all know those Motiv, Next, and other assorted pieces of department store junk sold in every WalMart from coast to coast. I have been flabergasted to see a customer come into the shop with a particular part on their Brand X bikes broken--and I don't mean a generic part like wheels, cranks, pedals, etc. I've seen links, derailleur dropouts, and some pivot parts on the FS models that were toast. I've also seen that same customer contact someone at one of these cheapo companies and actually receive this proprietary part at no charge as a warranty issue. We fix the bike, and the customer leaves happier than a dead hog in the sunshine. This doesn't change the fact that their pride-and-joy is still a POS, but by gosh they actually got the parts to fix the thing. I was amazed there was a person somewhere to actually talk to. It's plain criminal that a company like KHS can't do the same thing.

Dec 2003
    Screw that screw! Is there any fit/interference issues preventing you from using one of these?
    Attached Images Attached Images

BJ-

Jan 2004
    i must admit thats the first time ive actually heard of someone getting a KHS...

maby theres a reason for it...

(its a shame KHS has nuttin going for em...sh>it customer service and sh>it bikes...poor bastards)

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Slack
    Screw that screw! Is there any fit/interference issues preventing you from using one of these?
    Length. I have yet to actually find one long enough to fit. The ones at my LHS were about a 1/4'' too short.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I've also seen that same customer contact someone at one of these cheapo companies and actually receive this proprietary part at no charge as a warranty issue. We fix the bike, and the customer leaves happier than a dead hog in the sunshine. This doesn't change the fact that their pride-and-joy is still a POS, but by gosh they actually got the parts to fix the thing. I was amazed there was a person somewhere to actually talk to. It's plain criminal that a company like KHS can't do the same thing.
    Well isn't that great! Thanks that makes me feel better!!!!

Yeah, I'm really not impressed with KHS and I honestly expected more. Looks like monday morning I'm gonna have to take this up a notch and talk to the head honcho of KHS USA. In the mean time, still looking for hardware and it looks like I have a good lead thanks to Romic.

Dec 2003
    Length. I have yet to actually find one long enough to fit. The ones at my LHS were about a 1/4'' too short.

Dude, that's the easy part...

http://tinyurl.com/6gvsv

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Slack
    Dude, that's the easy part...

http://tinyurl.com/6gvsv
    Thanks but I hate to tell you the longest one listed on their site has less than a 2" shoulder. I need at least a 2.25" shoulder. Thanks though, I appreciate it.

Dec 2003
    Thanks but I hate to tell you the longest one listed on their site has less than a 2" shoulder. I need at least a 2.25" shoulder. Thanks though, I appreciate it.

Try http://www.mscdirect.com/PDF.process...ion_Id=2006749 and the following page too.

Jul 2004

or a santa cruz...

Quote Originally Posted by Surfinguru

They rock too.

Damn straight I have pride in my v10.

mtbr member
    hey i have an iron horse sgs and the swing link uses bolts just like the ones you refer to in your drawing. i replaced them with m8 x 90mm bolts with locknuts. yours may be 80, 90 or 100 mm but a fully threaded bolt like the m8 will replace bike specific hardware and using the locknuts, loctite and washers makes it stronger than stock hardware. no lhs will have the bolt you drew. they do have the proper equal in fully threaded bolts with nut fasteners. go to the store with your bike. ask the hardware guy to try various size bolts. i bet its a m8 but not sure of the length. the diameter of bolts is always by stock sizes. the custom fasteners from bike manufacterers usually offer allen key heads and dont have protruding threads to damage the rider in a crash. but they are easily replaced by "normal" hardware. if ANY bolt on your bike breaks the lhs has a replacement, it just may not have an allen bolt head one in that size..
    Divide Bike Bags

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Try MSC Industrial Supply Co.

Hey thanks Jrm, never thought about a marine supply store, I'll give that a try if the place Romic suggested to me doesn't pan out.
    I buy most of my metric bolts from MSC Industrial Supply, they have a wide selection of bolts, they even have many bolt brands and grades to choose from like Holo Krome (made in USA), Unbrako, Camcar or import bolts. I would recommend class 12.9 Holo Krome bolts, that is what I use for my shock bolt and my Marzocchi integrated stem riser blocks. For a shock bolt you want to get a Class 8.8 or 12.9 for strength. Here is their web site www.mscdirect.com phone number 1-800-645-7270. On some sizes you have to buy a whole box so you may want to also check with Mcmaster-carr
    Erik,
    Balle Racing
    www.balleracing.com

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dream4est
    hey i have an iron horse sgs and the swing link uses bolts just like the ones you refer to in your drawing. i replaced them with m8 x 90mm bolts with locknuts. yours may be 80, 90 or 100 mm but a fully threaded bolt like the m8 will replace bike specific hardware and using the locknuts, loctite and washers makes it stronger than stock hardware. no lhs will have the bolt you drew. they do have the proper equal in fully threaded bolts with nut fasteners. go to the store with your bike. ask the hardware guy to try various size bolts. i bet its a m8 but not sure of the length. the diameter of bolts is always by stock sizes. the custom fasteners from bike manufacterers usually offer allen key heads and dont have protruding threads to damage the rider in a crash. but they are easily replaced by "normal" hardware. if ANY bolt on your bike breaks the lhs has a replacement, it just may not have an allen bolt head one in that size..
    Problem is, and I'm not sure how the Iron Horse is setup, the bolt are recessed into the swingarm so using any ole bolt won't work since I need someway to tighten it. If I got a bolt big enough to fit, I could get a socket in the recess area onto the head to tighten it down.

Though it seems that one of the posters on here may have found the exact bolt I'm looking for. So they're going to ship it to me to try, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for you help.

Jul 2004
    send me the exact dimmentions, and I'll machine one out for you. I need the pitch also for the screw side. I'll just make it out of steel.

mtbr member
    Ace hardware also sells metric fasteners. You want a high-strength bolt, it will say "10.9" on the head. This bolt is much stronger than a standard metric bolt. I agree, MSC is a good source if you can't find it local.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 65Matt
    Ace hardware also sells metric fasteners. You want a high-strength bolt, it will say "10.9" on the head. This bolt is much stronger than a standard metric bolt. I agree, MSC is a good source if you can't find it local.

Again beautiful thought in theory. While I appreciate your suggestion, as I stated before the rocker arm into which the hardware mounts is recessed, keeping me from using a standard bolt for a couple of reasons. One of which is that the nut to fit the bolt that would work doesn't fit into the recess and another even if it did, I'd have no way to tighten it since you cannot fit a socket in there. Thank you though if you have any other ideas please keep me posted.

mtbr member

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 65Matt
    Tried that. The shoulder screw would work sadly the size I need only comes in a 2" long shoulder and the shoulder length I need is between 2 1/4 - 2 1/2" long.

A gentleman who shall remain namelees at the moment is sending me a bolt out of his friends old broken KHS that I'm fairly cetain will work. Thanks.

All show all the time
    Jan 2004

try McMaster-Carr

Tried that. The shoulder screw would work sadly the size I need only comes in a 2" long shoulder and the shoulder length I need is between 2 1/4 - 2 1/2" long.

A gentleman who shall remain namelees at the moment is sending me a bolt out of his friends old broken KHS that I'm fairly cetain will work. Thanks.

Hey, if that falls thru, check here: http://www.mcmaster.com/ McMaster-Carr

They seem to have just about everything under the sun for hardware, maybe you can find something there. Good luck!

Feb 2004
    Damn, that sucks....I've had 3 KHS bikes now and have always gotten great support from them. I broke a KHS FXT Team in 2001 and they sent me a replacement in a couple of weeks...then they helped me out by selling me a shock for $50. Now I have that and a DH50 and it is super squishy. Sounds like you just got a retarted receptionist or something...try emailing their tech support, they have always helped me out.

Good luck!

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gigamanx
    Sounds like you just got a retarted receptionist or something...try emailing their tech support, they have always helped me out.

Good luck!
    I wish that were the case. I spoke to one CS guy and his Supervisor, both of whom kept telling me all the hardware comes from the shock mfg. Even had 3 KHS shops call and they were told the same. Too me it just sounds like they don't care. If it wasn't for the fact I payed next to nothing for the frame, I'd be even more pissed. I definitely wouldn't buy another KHS bike.

Jan 2004
    I've been through 3 Dominatrax frames in as many years. I'm waiting for a warranty replacement on the warranty replacement I had for only a couple months. All of my frame had numerous mods done to them with my Dremmel and handfulls of Ace Hardware parts. It's easier to make your own parts for those things than it is to get parts from KHS. You can get better quality hardware from your local hardware store.

Pro Crastinator
    i only have one, but you can have it if you haven't figured out your solution by now....