mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Good job! More Stunt Pics of "Monster Park Challenge"--Update 2

Click here http://www.upmtb.com/?sectionid=4

BIKEMAG.COM NEWS

Bike Magazine Monster Park Slopestyle Invitational
    by Sarah Smith
    posted June 18, 2004

John Cowan sits at the seat of a tractor on Marquette Mountain in Michigan. It's raining, but that doesn't stop the legendary dirt-jump and freeride athlete because, armed with two tractors and a crew of 11, he's got 15 days to build the one-of-a-kind course for the first ever Bike Magazine Monster Park Slopestyle Invitational.

On July 7 and 8, the world's best gravity riders will descend on Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Among the 15 invited athletes are Cedric Gracia, Richie Schley, Wade Simmons and Darren Berrecloth, who will all try to impress head-judge Dave Watson for the $10,000 prize purse.

Kona Clump rider Cowan is tasked with designing and building the course. His plan is to create a 220-foot-long halfpipe in the middle of the course, which will be surrounded by technical features and jumps to allow for multiple line selection and provide a better showcase for rider talent. "So often riders will stick to the one line that the judges like," Cowan said. "But on this course, there are tons of options that will all be pretty equal in the eyes of the judges. We'll have eight lines that could be gnarly enough to win it."

Richie Schley, who will compete at Monster Park, at last summer's Joyride Expression Session.

The home of this unique event is Marquette Mountain, which now offers lift service to mountain bikers through October, a rarity in the Midwest. Named one of "America's Five Best Mountain Biking Towns" by Bike in 2001, Marquette is a burgeoning destination for riders. Dave Ollila, founder and president of Viosport Camera Systems, a sponsor of the event, has been riding the Upper Peninsula since 1975. "People don't realize that the Midwest has this much terrain," he said. "Everyone expects that you'll pull into the Midwest and that it will be flat--but that's just not the case when you get into the U.P."

Freeride Entertainment will also be on hand with cameras rolling to document the Monster Park event for their next film, New World Disorder V. Check www.bikemag.com and www.elementroadtrip.com/np for coverage of Monster Park as well as stories from the road-trip leading to the event, the Northern Passage.

The Bike Magazine Monster Park Slopestyle Invitational is supported by Kona USA, Marzocchi, Red Bull, Freeride Entertainment, Sombrio, Viosport Camera Systems, Hayes Brake, Oakley, Race Face and the Nordic Bay Lodge

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Sweet pics

Where is Marquette mountain?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Never mind what I said, it's in Michigan. I guess I should have read the post rather than just looking at the pictures.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks for the pics

i'll be up in marquette for 4th of july week end, then i'm coming home. Unfortunatly I'll be missing all of this

can't wait til school starts, and be back in MQT

where's the kick stand?
    Mar 2004
    Sic pics, that drop is crazy.
    live to ride, ride to live

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

Riding a bike
    100's of pics of the event can/will be seen here http://www.killerasp.com/gallery/album15
    I have right around 300 or so to still post from the actual event today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew45454545454
    100's of pics of the event can/will be seen here http://www.killerasp.com/gallery/album15
    I have right around 300 or so to still post from the actual event today.

Great pix.... thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0