More flats with bigger tires?- Mtbr.com
    Waiting for Godot........
    Jul 2006

More flats with bigger tires?

I'm running 2.5's right now and want to try going to a larger tire. But I don't want to increase my bow-out rate(still pretty high due to my agressive style). Riding parks and dh.

Curenntly running tubes again, but could change depending on tires.

Watta you think?

mtbr member
    you wont get more flats with bigger tires.
    22Pride

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Try riding DH with 1.95's and let us know how many flats you get.

mtbr member
    I recon the bigger the better. but size wont save ur tires from getting a flat. So if your thinking about what tires to get i say get wahateva suites you and your bike better. If you dont have a tubeless tires, you should get the slime tubes for the trail. as they reapir themselves if it gets punctured or somthing.

Glad to Be Alive
    more air pressure = less pinch flats
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Jul 2006
    Yeah its mostly pinch flats due to hitting rocks and running too low air pressure.

just figured more tire = more tire flex and more speed = more flats.

wondering if thats what others were doing. I rarley flated on smaller tires, but i was going half as fast and not aiming for rocks.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by unclegreaser
    Yeah its mostly pinch flats due to hitting rocks and running too low air pressure.

just figured more tire = more tire flex and more speed = more flats.

wondering if thats what others were doing. I rarley flated on smaller tires, but i was going half as fast and not aiming for rocks.
    anytime you are doing rockgardens you have to up the pressure.......37 to 42 what I would run......I never understood people running 20 pounds in the tire....when you do that and the tire suddnely gives .........it just washes doesn't hold lines...... just plain sucks
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 07-01-2007 at 09:04 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

ride hard take risks
    Baby powder in the tire prevents the tube from sticking to the tire. This allows the 2 to not stick & be independent & if you do square a hit it may prevent snake bike. DH tubes will also be beneficial that way you can still run the lower PSI.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    anytime you are doing rockgardens you have to up the pressure.......37 to 42 what I would run......I never understood people running 20 pounds in the tire....when you do that and the tire suddnely gives .........it just washes doesn't hold lines...... just plain sucks
    37-42 is for 2.1 XC tires

20lbs is a good starting point for 2.5-2.7 DH tires w/ DH tubes.

edit: the larger volume the tire, the less pressure you need to run to achieve the same results.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Baby powder in the tire prevents the tube from sticking to the tire. This allows the 2 to not stick & be independent & if you do square a hit it may prevent snake bike. DH tubes will also be beneficial that way you can still run the lower PSI.
    I baby powder all my tubes/tires. Helps installation too. Plus, it smells nice

Jul 2006
    wow baby powder, now thats a good tip

i switch from regular thickness to dh tubes depending on the trails that day. the thicker ones do work alot better, but i feel the lag in the corners and throwing the bike around.

would be cool if i could air up and down like some 4x4's on the fly. see a rock, push a button, hard tires. then air it down and get grippy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical

edit: the larger volume the tire, the less pressure you need to run to achieve the same results.
    Sorry guys, may I ask 20lbs=?PSI?

N* Bomber Crew

Well I dunno what the PSI conversion is, but I know you rolled Northstar and you GOTTA have it around 40 PSI to be flat free for the day.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    I usually run 60psi front and rear. And I use Maxxix minion DH 2.35.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by foxracing
    I usually run 60psi front and rear. And I use Maxxix minion DH 2.35.
    Thats fine for the rear, put a 2.5 in front. Run front 37, rear 40 PSI for rocks otherwise drop down to 28 front & 30 rear.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    I'm always running high presure on my tires. I do have a little harsher ride but I'm getting down the mountain with no problem whatsoever.
    (I run Michelins DH-32s 26 x 2.8 on my Perp and Maxxis High Rollers 26 X 2.7s on my Judge)

Equal opportunity meanie
    Stay the fvck away from slime tubes.....whoever suggested that needs to get his fingers removed.

Use baby powder with DH tubes and run whatever pressure you want. Michi Comp 32 2.8 front and any 2.5 rear I run 29 psi rear and vary the front. If I'm running dual 2.3's or 2.5's during the winter when it is hardpacked I run 28-32 psi. I figure out what pressure will make the tire case out against the rim on fast square edges and squirm/roll in corners and run 2psi - 5psi above that.

I put about 250 miles of pretty fast rocky descending before flatting out on my 6" bike with single ply tires and XC tubes by just using a TON of baby powder and consistently running 25-30 psi and feeling the rim tag more frequently than I would like. It helps a lot to clean the inside of the tire with Plexus (plastics cleaner).

mtbr member
    I was running 2.35 Minions on the front with regular tubes at a high pressure and they were invincible to pinch flats. High Volume tires+high pressure is quite sturdy. I say I 'was' running them because I did a harsh 5ft drop to flat and I popped a hole in the tire in between the tread. I doubt they would hold up long to sharp rocks.
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by foxracing
    Sorry guys, may I ask 20lbs=?PSI?
    ughh.....yeah, that's what I meant.

Jul 2006
    sometimes running too high a pressure in the tires causes me to slip off of rocks sideways and then I see the ground rusing up to meet me. but the knobbys act like spikes in loose stuff.

are you guys seeing any more flats(with bigger tires) going tubless or with tubes?

Glad to Be Alive

Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    I know you rolled Northstar and you GOTTA have it around 40 PSI to be flat free for the day.
    can you run lower pressure with bigger tires yeah....but when you start riding a lot and at speeds you won't like a 20 psi tire.....the tires roll over in the corners and make for sketchy riding....minium pressure I run on a 2.8 is 32psi in the front and I am tubeless where I could be really low.....back is 37 to 42....again at speeds you don't want the tire rolling side to side and there are less chance for pinch flats like Raptor said. Some trails like tunnell(continues rock garden) are a must for higher pressure

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by unclegreaser
    sometimes running too high a pressure in the tires causes me to slip off of rocks sideways and then I see the ground rusing up to meet me. but the knobbys act like spikes in loose stuff.

are you guys seeing any more flats(with bigger tires) going tubless or with tubes?
    if you are slipping then you are using your brakes too much....I am strait tubeless....had 2 flats in 4 years......one was a stick bigger then your finger (stans was old too)...I superglued and reinflated and went back to riding......the other was a one in a million shot where the rim got dented by a rock...produced a sharp edge and cut the tire at the bead....definately love tubeless

Members who have read this thread: 0