Monster install questions.- Mtbr.com
    TNC
    noMAD man

Monster install questions.

Got that '02 Monster T installed last night on the Bullit. I went ahead and serviced it, and it was basically just like my Super T in that respect. This fork was used, barely, but it didn't have any stanchion/frame bumpers. We haven't had any of these forks in our shop or in town to see what others have done. I didn't know if there were OEM bumpers or just a roll-yer-own method only--didn't see any in the QBP catalog. I went ahead and cut a section of knobby tire for each leg, but I was curious if there any better pimpin' bumpers for the Monster--maybe dayglow orange...LOL! I sure noticed one thing on that top crown. It sure could do a nasty number on your top tube if it's not spaced upwards appropriately. This thing has an amazing turn radius because of that wide stanchion spacing. I'm taking a more serious off road ride later today, but pedaling around the house wasn't near as bad as I would have thought. The bike still wheelies fairly easily with this fork. This thing doesn't have a bad axle to crown height, either. It's only about a 1/2" longer than my Super T, and that'll probably go into sag. You know, I think maybe an old man might be able to ride this thing without having a heart attack. After the ride today, if you don't here from me anymore, you'll know what happened... LOL!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Authority is dead!
    Old tire is the most pimpin' one. Woodman makes some too I think...
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm

Makes the rear end look small... I have some growth hormones here at the shop for the rear end... ya know the stuff J-Low uses... we can get the back end pumped up a little!
    I will ride trail sweep in the morning to check for you! LOL!

"I sure hope you find a place to ride that thing!"

Looks cool!

Pro Crastinator
    9 out of 10 huckers choose old tires and zipties......

after uncountable stacks that have sent my stanchions into my frame i have never had a problem in over 4 years......

TNC
    noMAD man

Well, WCH, with you as a test dummy...

Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    9 out of 10 huckers choose old tires and zipties......

after uncountable stacks that have sent my stanchions into my frame i have never had a problem in over 4 years......
    The old tire deal should definitely pass muster...LOL! I cut up a used but still very "knobbly" IRC Missle. Remember when those 2.25 babies were called DH tires?

LT1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

...Monster T's CANNOT be installed...

...on silver Bullits. Only scuba yellow and trans gold Bullits can accept Monster T's.

TNC
    noMAD man

Cool it, Tex "Hickler"...

Quote Originally Posted by texheckler
    Makes the rear end look small... I have some growth hormones here at the shop for the rear end... ya know the stuff J-Low uses... we can get the back end pumped up a little!
    I will ride trail sweep in the morning to check for you! LOL!

"I sure hope you find a place to ride that thing!"

Looks cool!
    I know where you work, and I can throw a Wrench Force pedal wrench and smack you upside the head from where I sit...LOL! As far as that rear end goes, I wonder if I can still find any of those 9" X 3" shocks to stuff in that hole to kinda "beef it up"? Talk about some saddle/tire rub on that Azonic barcalounger!!!

Former Noob Herder
    just throwin on an old tire/grip and zip-ties ISN'T PIMP...sorry, everyone does it, and lazy obvious solutions does dont make the pimp factor. Someting pimp will look seemless and will cause someone to ask 'what is that?'

I've tried a few different things, my current setup is using an inner tube that is left intact and pulled over the tube like a condom. Stuff a little pad in there and voila, no zip ties, no split in the bumper. The hard part is finding the right tube size so it can fit without being loose....has to fit like designer jeans on a big rump.

Then theres RC car tires, plumbing pipe gaskets, etc...but you gotta get creative to earn ya chains fashizzle?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

TNC
    noMAD man

Doh!!! I knew something was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by LT1
    ...on silver Bullits. Only scuba yellow and trans gold Bullits can accept Monster T's.
    Yeah, I was suspicious of a fitment problem when the 1&1/8 steerer on the Monster had to be hammered into the 1" head tube of my silver Bullit with a 4lb. hand sledge--don't even need a headset!...LOL. I'd heard that those scuba yellow models had the more modern 1&1/8 head tubes...dangit!

TNC
    noMAD man

Hey, Zedro...on those "pads"...

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    just throwin on an old tire/grip and zip-ties ISN'T PIMP...sorry, everyone does it, and lazy obvious solutions does dont make the pimp factor. Someting pimp will look seemless and will cause someone to ask 'what is that?'

I've tried a few different things, my current setup is using an inner tube that is left intact and pulled over the tube like a condom. Stuff a little pad in there and voila, no zip ties, no split in the bumper. The hard part is finding the right tube size so it can fit without being loose....has to fit like designer jeans on a big rump.

Then theres RC car tires, plumbing pipe gaskets, etc...but you gotta get creative to earn ya chains fashizzle?
    Are those pads you're installing in those uncut inner tubes Maxi's or the ones with "Wings" types? And do you have to buy them yourself at the grocery store, or do you have a wife or girlfriend to help you out...LOL! PRICE CHECK AT REGISTER 4 FOR ZEDRO ON MAXIPADS WITH WINGS!!! Seriously, though, maybe the pimpin' factor does apply for MTB tire strips if you use collector items like the famous but defunct IRC Missles

[email protected] NYC Freerider
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro

het zedro....you are right...using old cut up tires is cheap easy and fast, and it does not look pimp at all...but, you are wrong about one thing...the first thing people ask me about my bike is "what are those 2 black things (old cut up tire wraped around the whole tube with socks in the inside) for?"....hehe.... im going to try you inner tude idea.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... MOnSTeR bumper solution

pipe insullation and zip ties from the local Home Depot made my bullit look like something out of "Mad Max"

too bad I sold her....

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Jako
    het zedro....you are right...using old cut up tires is cheap easy and fast, and it does not look pimp at all...but, you are wrong about one thing...the first thing people ask me about my bike is "what are those 2 black things (old cut up tire wraped around the whole tube with socks in the inside) for?"....hehe.... im going to try you inner tude idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images