mono6ti(wheres the power)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

mono6ti(wheres the power)

recently bought a set of hope mono6ti brakes. There is good modulation but not much power(yes they have been rebled). I noticed that the mini lever is used with all the hope brakes and was wondering if maybe its simply not pushing enough fluid as I noticed that my old hayes lever has a larger billows(or whatever they call the rubber seal the lever pushes in)than the mini lever. Was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and if maybe it might be possible to switch to a hayes lever to push more fluid(they can both use dot 4 brake fluid. Any input would be nice.

/dev/null
    Quote Originally Posted by kinesis
    recently bought a set of hope mono6ti brakes. There is good modulation but not much power(yes they have been rebled). I noticed that the mini lever is used with all the hope brakes and was wondering if maybe its simply not pushing enough fluid as I noticed that my old hayes lever has a larger billows(or whatever they call the rubber seal the lever pushes in)than the mini lever. Was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and if maybe it might be possible to switch to a hayes lever to push more fluid(they can both use dot 4 brake fluid. Any input would be nice.
    Do a search.. This has been discussed and discussed..

The end result, I believe, is that even with 6 pistons, the total surface area of the pistons doesn't equal the total surface area of the two huge Hayes pistons, hence their lack of power. Doesn't have anything to do with how much fluid you're pushing - the fluid doesn't compress, so it doesn't matter.

i should be working
    Quote Originally Posted by binary visions
    Do a search.. This has been discussed and discussed..

The end result, I believe, is that even with 6 pistons, the total surface area of the pistons doesn't equal the total surface area of the two huge Hayes pistons, hence their lack of power. Doesn't have anything to do with how much fluid you're pushing - the fluid doesn't compress, so it doesn't matter.

might have something to do with the leverage ratio at the lever though.

Pro Crastinator
    exactly why i never buy a product in it's first year... all you have base judgement on is hype and speculation.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    exactly why i never buy a product in it's first year... all you have base judgement on is hype and speculation.....
    Keep in mind that all MONO6Ti were initially shipped with sintered pads. Long life but less power and overheating. I suggest you try your hands on some organic pads. DH pad are still unavailable in the US. Good luck. My Mono6 seems to work fine, but as previously stated by others, not that much better than Hayes.....hate to have to say that, but true.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Get "dry conditions" pads from Hope

Call Hope in California and ask them to send (sell) you some of the "dry conditions" pads. They help considerably.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by rpl3000
    might have something to do with the leverage ratio at the lever though.
    that and the piston area ratios...but in the end if your pads are crappy it doesnt really matter. A past poster had the wrong pads (kinda funny that they have that option )
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumo-class Rider
    Call Hope in California and ask them to send (sell) you some of the "dry conditions" pads. They help considerably.
    Exactly! My 205 front came with them as standard and its amazing. Back hads the 'wet' pads and its about half as good, definitely worth the 10 it cost to swap them.

One thing i've noticed though is you US guys love the hayes for ease of parts etc, whereas we love the hopes for the same reasons.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Not good...

I have a Ventana El Conq FS tandem with early Hope Enduro 4s. One of the pistons on the rear brake has siezed. I am looking for a new brake, and was hoping to go with the Mono 6Ti, but if you feel there is a lack of power on a single, they aren't going to work on a tandem.

Other than the power issue (assuming I can fix that with pads), how is the brake? Have you ever overheated it?

I am limited to a 185 rotor on the rear because of the swingarm geometry. Anyone have a suggestion for a brake? Don't say Hayes, because they void the warrantee if mounted on a tandem, or at least they used to.

I've been told Magura Gustavs are the best choice for a tandem(they actually use these on hopped up XR50s!), but they are really, really pricey and really hard to get parts/pads. Mono 6Ti was $150.

Quote Originally Posted by kinesis

mtbr member

Gustav it is...

They are the only disc brake certified for tandem use.

Yes, they are pricey, but they'll stop you quickly!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member

oops.

The end result, I believe, is that even with 6 pistons, the total surface area of the pistons doesn't equal the total surface area of the two huge Hayes pistons, hence their lack of power.
    Actually, measuring the piston area is not an accurate way to gauge brake force. (If that were the case you would see (2) 6" diameter brake pistons on motorcycles instead of multiple 1" ones. Same goes for any "high end" brake system.) Brake PAD area is what you measure and in that respect the Hope Mono6Ti has nearly double.

The reason manufactures use multiple differential bore pistons is so that when applied, the front section of the pads contact the rotor first followed by the rear. (different size pistons are "pushed out" at a different rate, think toe-in adjustment on rim brakes) it provides a more progressive brake feel.

Not to mention the benefit of having a larger "clamping area" through multiple pistons.

In closing though I'm the first to admit that I do not notice a huge improvement in braking from my old Hayes HFX MAG HD's. However they're certainly no worse when it comes to performance and they look the business.

BTW, Have you seen the new Hayes El Camino? Hmm. I wonder where they got that design from???

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    nover gonna buy a disk break with 6 pistons. You just don't need that. Its not like F1 racing or somthing like that. Its all about the Brand name you fools fall for on the new release. Its new so its in, wow... I still run my 2001 Purple DH hayes and they kick but considering every thing else is new on my 05 Dh bike but with certain changes. Don't care about the 1st year stuff so much because look at the tripple 8 fork it had flaws big time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Would be interested to see a test between brakes

It would be interesting if the side by side test of brakes was undertaken ie: roll down a hill at the same speed and see which brake pulled up first. I think that greater modulation can translate to a percived feeling of less power. I ride Hope M4's and a mate just got Mono 4's and I find them to have little modulation compared to the older M4's so they feel on or off. This is most noticable if you are trying to control a wheelie using the back brake. On his bike no matter how gently you apply the lever the front slams down. The new ones feel so much more powerful at low speed however when riding on a trail they don't actually feel any better ie: like I need to apply less braking force to control my speed.