Mongoose EC-D/Blindside/Stab for Resort riding- Mtbr.com
    StraightOuttaCompton

New question here. Mongoose EC-D/Blindside/Stab for Resort riding

Hey all,

i have been looking into buying a new bike because my Yakuza is on its way out. It just doesnt have the bump absorbance, pedal abilities, or any means of nimble. It is also a bit heavy too. I am now looking at the Mongoose EC-D, TBC Blindside, or Kona Stab. I would like to know which one is the most nimble, best in turns, most lively, which one pedals the best, and whih one absorbs stuff the best(big and small hits.) I ride mostly at N*, and take an occasional trip to Mammoth. Oh, and just for fun, which is the lightest??Thanks in advance
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

N* Bomber Crew
    Those are some weird choices you have there for Northstar riding. In my opinion, the best bike for Northstar is a simple design with a low center of gravity. I would throw the Blindside out pretty fast because its center of gravity is rather high. I'm not a fan of the Stab either, Four Bar locks up quite a bit on bigger hits.

I know you didn't have them in your decision pool but you should look at possibly a Santa Cruz V10. I used to not be down with them but the new 08's are pretty sick. The bike's geo is dialed for nimble handling in corners and berms thanks to a not-so-long wheelbase. VPP feels killa on rocks so you can plow stuff all the time. V10's are bank though, and the wait time is even more sky high.

A Turner DHR, Commencal, and the new Morewood coming out have promising designs. I ride a DHR at Northstar and so far its really responsive, nimble, and handles great. The wheelbase is pretty long so berms don't feel so awesome, but the suspension design is pretty dialed for the mountain.

I think you should go back to the drawing table and expand your options. Neither three of those bikes is going to be prime for Northstar.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

StraightOuttaCompton
    okay, well some of us can't afford to go and spend 5000 dollars on a bike. i want a good bike, but at a good price, not a full-on dh racer, or something i will pay 2500-3000 dollars for a frame. and how about a bullit??

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    okay, well some of us can't afford to go and spend 5000 dollars on a bike. i want a good bike, but at a good price, not a full-on dh racer, or something i will pay 2500-3000 dollars for a frame. and how about a bullit??
    Who says I got scrill? I built my DHR for 3,000 complete with a legit build. Deals are out there. I'm just giving you my input. You could possibly get a older DHR or older V10 used to save money. I believe either of those will ride better than your current choices.

StraightOuttaCompton
    that is true, but isnt the DHR just a single pivot too?? and the V-10 would for sure but but im not sure that i want 10 inches of travel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I am really impressed with what mongoose has been doing recently and the parts spec for the money is the best value in DH mountain biking. Sicklines did a review of it here http://www.sicklines.com/reviews/2007-mongoose-ec-d/ I am going to be buying one or possibly the new Mongoose Boot'r coming out next year.
    2011 Santa Cruz V-10

2008 Giant Reign X

2007 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Raptordude, How is a V-10 a simple design compared to a Blindside. I think a blindside would be the perfect bike for resort riding(part dh, part fr). Try thinking things through better bud!
    Go BIG or Go HOME

StraightOuttaCompton
    Raptordude, How is a V-10 a simple design compared to a Blindside. I think a blindside would be the perfect bike for resort riding(part dh, part fr). Try thinking things through better bud!
    what do u think of the ec-d??

EastBaySteez
    Blindside with a floater, it'll rock N* like a champ but at the same time still be able to pedal and ride non lift assisted riding.

Good luck trying to get a new V10, theres a long waiting list.

Check the local craigslist here in the Bay, tons of legit DH bikes.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The ec-d is alright. If you are going to buy just a frame I would get the blindside.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy
    That's what I was thinking... Why not Kona Stab? Just curious

hmmmm
    stabs are bombproof but pretty heavy and sluggish (loooong wheel base from what i remember) and all konas have trouble with brake jack.

stab is a good bike but you can get a lot better for the same or even cheaper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalis12
    stabs are bombproof but pretty heavy and sluggish (loooong wheel base from what i remember) and all konas have trouble with brake jack.

stab is a good bike but you can get a lot better for the same or even cheaper.
    Would a Sunday Expert or Team be a good choice for djponee?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    In my opinion, the best bike for Northstar is a simple design
    you should look at possibly a Santa Cruz V10.

Out of curiosity, have you ridden a Blindside at N*?

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy
    I guess I worded it wrong, fits the bill for me: low center of gravity and dialed geometry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    any of those bikes would be great for N*. best build for the money comes with the EC-D IMO, and definitely the most active. Nice low COG, everybody who rides/has one loves the linkage setup, i'd pull the trigger on the EC-D

mtbr member
    The goose is awesome for sure really slack though. I have a Blindside now and its really a great bike. COG blah blah, the Blindside has a low BB so you really feel like you're in the bike.

Now the V10 and DHR are cream of the crop and probably better choices thank the three you listed but unless you buy an older used DHR you could buy two bikes for the cost.

You might consider a Banshee Scythe too. The frame is only slightly more expensive than the Blindside and it is very adjustable (HA, BB height and travel). That frame paired with an 888 ATA would be a super versatile rig.

StraightOuttaCompton
    thanks for all the replies, and keep them coming. an if u do suggest frames, try and make them 12X150 rear axle and 83mm BB

mtbr member
    Seriously if you need 12x150 go with the Scythe, it's megabadass. It's a 73mm BB but getting new cranks is fun too!

Seriously, get it.

You do know the Blindside is 12x135 and 73mm right?

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by combatkimura
    I have a Blindside now and its really a great bike. COG blah blah, the Blindside has a low BB so you really feel like you're in the bike.
    The low bottom bracket is hit or miss at Northstar. I ride a DHR with a SUPER low bottom bracket and sometimes its good, sometimes its bad. Good on Livewire when you can haul ass. Bad on Dogbone with huge rocks scraping pedals all day.

Have you considered a Glory yet?

Capricious youth...
    Cheap and effective:

Iron Horse 7point.

Go to town on that bad boy.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    The low bottom bracket is hit or miss at Northstar. I ride a DHR with a SUPER low bottom bracket and sometimes its good, sometimes its bad. Good on Livewire when you can haul ass. Bad on Dogbone with huge rocks scraping pedals all day.

Have you considered a Glory yet?
    I hear ya on the good/bad on the low BB. It's so nice when you're flying and railing berms but in the really rough tech stuff banging a pedal or bashguard gets sketchy. I'm running 170mm crank arms too. I have to always be aware of my pedal placement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    A 7 point doesn't realy compare to the other in this thread.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

The Beaver
    What is the current build up on your Kumicho?

If you swap the suspension out for a 888/boxxer and a CCDB/DHX 5.0... you would completely change you current rig.

I used to own one and I still would if I hadn't gotten the deal (and I mean DEAL) that I got on my Demo 8
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

mtbr member
    I rode a blindside last weekend and I was very impressed.

StraightOuttaCompton
    well my kumicho still has the super Ts, which work fine and require no maintenace whatsoever, and i have a swinger 4 way that is shitty as hell.

but i would rather get a new frame and then buy forks with it, because most of the parts on my bike are pretty nice other than the back shock and forks. when i say nice,i mean durable, not lightweight, my bike is far from lightweight

The Beaver
    Like I said I owned the same bike... and I loved it.

For about $1500 you could put a lot nicer rear shock and fork on it and with the left over money, upgrade other parts...

but if you really want a new frame I can only suggest the Demo 8... awesome frame. $2400 with DHX 5.0 not to expensive... considering the amount of technology that you are getting in a frame.
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

StraightOuttaCompton
    hey, whoever said that the scythe had a 83mm BB, it doesnt, it has a 68mm BB.

Members who have read this thread: 0