Mongoose Black Diamond 2007 frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Mongoose Black Diamond 2007 frame

Just bought this frame, thought I'd give DH a bit of a go, have n't got it yet should come in a few days, how do thy perform is there any thing to lookout for, its just to try and get a feel for DH see if its my thing,

I have a 06 170mm Marz 66's, 07 Saints, Race face D2 stem 50mm, Easton high rise monkey bars, E-13 drs , xt short cage mech and Avid Code brakes, 2.5 Nevegal DH tyres,
    and Mongoose hub with wtb dh rim and a giant hub 20mm with a mavic 721 rim,

does this sound ok for a first DH rig build, any help feedback would be very much appreciated, I will be a complete newbie to the DH sport, had a go in the French Alps on my Heckler , scared me to death but loved it, felt like I needed more bike.

Cheers

Capricious youth...
    You should love the bike with that part spec. I hear that they actually ride really well, and if you factor in how cheap they are, they ride especially well!

Maybe check the Schwinn/Mongoose forum for more details. I used to sell these bikes, but I never rode one.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i have a 2008 black diamond triple its a great bike its my freeride bike as a i a full on dh bike but i have taken it to diablo and plattekill plenty of times holds up great you'll love it i thought it was a mistake buying it but i was wrong. its a great bike if you want it to feel better through rock gardens throw a triple crown fork on it.
    great bike you wont regret it and the good thing is you can pedal it in the trails also...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the input , I'm hoping it will give me some confidence to have a go, a triple crown would be my next upgrade, but for now just going with what I've got, I didn't realise they still pedal ok that's a real bonus, means I can ride it up my local trail where there are some jumps to play on. I was thinking of Boxxers if I live that long trying to find my feet
    The guys thrown in two shocks a DHX-3 coil and a DHX-3 Air.

small pic from the advert seems to be in good condition, and a maxle QR on the rear sounds good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

excellent first DH bike

it will be worth upgrading also if you decide you get into it. I would 2nd the boxxer option as they are same weight as your 66 and very, very nice.

I would suggest running the coil shock and keeping the air as backup. One day, you will blow the coil and ship it off to PUSH to get rebuilt and tuned for you. While you wait you use the air as a backup. You will get the PUSH'd shock back and will have a whole new, amazing bike to ride. You will love DH and you will love your bike.

Trying a little
    on those frames check the bolts for all the linkage pivots are tight before every ride

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

For The Win
    Isn't it pretty much a giant single pivot?
    Slow is cool too, right?

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by StinkyFTW
    No.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    No........Kinda.........Ya.......not really.......pretty much.....YES
    2011 Santa Cruz V-10

2008 Giant Reign X

2007 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm a fan of Push, my Heckler has a DHX-5 coil Push'd made a big difference, thanks for the input guys, probably need a fork around 180mm , can you fit spacers in the boxxer fork to reduce travel from 200 to 180? or is it best left at 200, sorry I'm a newbie to this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    just use the fork at 200 it'll be ok and feel better

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks DEST, 200 sounds good, may go for the Boxxer race sound a good spec for a beginner like my self. Spending more money before I even ride the bike
    may have a look on ebay see if any bargains about.

Ideas Above My Station...
    In no way is it 'pretty much a Giant single pivot'.

Its quite a clever, complicated way of moving the main-frame, BB and rear triangle independantly to minimise pedal-feedback and give fully active suspension.
    Its All Downhill From Here....!

For The Win
    Ahhh, ok, I was (and still am) dumbfounded by all the pivots on that thing, I mean, I've ridden them and still can't figure out how those bikes work. As for my reasoning, I was thinking somehow the whole assembly moved as one from that relatively central pivot above the BB...
    Slow is cool too, right?

mtbr member
    I have an EC-X the Black Diamonds little brother and love it the way the linkage is they pedal great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I read some where the suspension is based around the I drive system from GT their sister company, the few reviews I've found are all fairly positive, so should hopefully be a good starting point, seems you can spend thousands on DH bikes.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    It does have the same axle path as a high single pivot (like BMW not santa cruz), but because of all the exta linkages/moving bottom bracket, it doesn't need an idler pulley, and shouldn't have much pedal feedback. God only knows what that braking performance is like, but rearward axle paths sure feel nice.

mtbr member
    That is gonna be a great first DH/FR bike mate!
    Definatly post some pics up when shes done

Card-carrying wotmeister
    Ahhh, ok, I was (and still am) dumbfounded by all the pivots on that thing, I mean, I've ridden them and still can't figure out how those bikes work. As for my reasoning, I was thinking somehow the whole assembly moved as one from that relatively central pivot above the BB...
    Cased that one, did you?

For The Win
    Quote Originally Posted by rabidweasel999
    Cased that one, did you?
    Yeahhhh, that I did.
    Slow is cool too, right?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    my bikes are single pivot Heckler , Orange patriot 66, so I'm used to not having fancy linkages and lots of pivots so this frame looks like the bearings will cost more than 8 for a service

mtbr member
    No glam shots of the bike, but you can see it in this one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    nice jump trail bait, looks like your having a good time

Members who have read this thread: 0