Mondraker and dw.- Mtbr.com

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Nope. Since the shock mounts to the lower link and is in effect; "floating," it is not DW link. Very cool design though...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    ok floating dw,but very similar none the less,although isnt the patent for the link length and such not where the shock is mounted.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by konut
    ok floating dw,but very similar none the less,although isnt the patent for the link length and such not where the shock is mounted.
    Good question. I've tried to read the entire patent before, but I was starting to get scrambled after about 10 minutes...

If it is DW designed, this is the first design I've seen with a floating damper, but I'm pretty sure Dave didn't work on this bike. Sick frame though...

Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Good question. I've tried to read the entire patent before, but I was starting to get scrambled after about 10 minutes...

If it is DW designed, this is the first design I've seen with a floating damper, but I'm pretty sure Dave didn't work on this bike. Sick frame though...
    Wrong again the Independent Fab bike that is yet to make it into production has DW and a floater link.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by swash
    Wrong again the Independent Fab bike that is yet to make it into production has DW and a floater link.
    Yup. I stand corrected. As you posted this, I did a google and found a page that describes the entire patent in full. (I wont quote it here since it's pretty long...) It has a section that basicly states the damper can mount to the top link, or the bottom link, or both...

Read here: http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/71...scription.html

The I.F. bike seems like it should be dropping on the shock looking at it. What's stopping it?

moaaar shimz
    Dave explained that he did it like that in the Independent Fabrication model because it saves you from having to weld more titanium (lower shock mount is eliminated).

Jan 2008
    What do you mean? I'm confused. That IF is set up the same way trek sets up their full floaters, upper link compressing the shock, lower link extending the shot. Obviously the upper link is doing more to compress the shock then the lower link is doing to extend it. That mondraker is set up with both links compressing the shock, both are perfectly good systems. full floaters are nothing new and DW always does a good job calling out all possible shock mounting positions in his patents.

moaaar shimz
    The front triangle looks VERY similar to a Sunday...

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by swash
    What do you mean? I'm confused. That IF is set up the same way trek sets up their full floaters, upper link compressing the shock, lower link extending the shot. Obviously the upper link is doing more to compress the shock then the lower link is doing to extend it. That mondraker is set up with both links compressing the shock, both are perfectly good systems. full floaters are nothing new and DW always does a good job calling out all possible shock mounting positions in his patents.
    That wasn't the main point... he later realized that the floater shock mount allowed a bit of extension, but not considerable.

moaaar shimz
    Okay I've been reading the thread in Foromtb and it seems the creator of the bike checked the DW patent and does not infringe it... he says it's a patented system called Zero Link made by Mondraker and that the IC, wheel path and rocker angles are very different than the DW link's.

StraightOuttaCompton
    looks sweet.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Dave Weagle weighs in on the bike here:

N* Bomber Crew
    WTF is that? A e13 G2?....
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Would that be Barel's bike next year? A replacement for the Kaiser?

Ooops, checked the link and it was meant for 2010 and beyond, Barel's contract with Subaru and Mondraker will be for two years.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

Members who have read this thread: 0