mod totem oil seals?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

mod totem oil seals?

I was wondering if anyone has tried either removing the springs in the oil seal lips or loosened them up a bit to reduce the amount of STIKTCHION the coil version has?

I already tried cutting down some fox 40 foam rings and stuffing them in there but I wasn't very successful. What about running just the fox seals? I know the OD is different but out of desperation comes...

Locs on Spokez
    It has stiction because you don't know how to take care of it properly
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

doh..

Quote Originally Posted by Iggz
    It has stiction because you don't know how to take care of it properly
    you're so right and what six?

mtbr member
    I'm running a Totem coil and it's very plush.

Just replaced the seals and did the basic service and the new seals felt really good after the first ride.

The new stock seals were really tight. more so than I've seen with Enduros or Fox, but they did not cause a problem or chage the feel of the fork.

No issues with stiction on mine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ok here's the deal. I'm a bike shop mech and work on forks all day. I've overhauled plenty of Totems over the years and can say that Totems aren't exactly the plushest forks out there do primarily to the large diameter of the forks' stanchions and hence the oil seals contact area. I had one of the original Totems that sucked huge rats due to reliability issues. I got a new bike and wanted to try out a newer totem on it though I would have preferred to go with a Zocchi rc3. I didn't go with the zocchi because the a2c is 15mm more than the Totems' and I wanted the slightly shorter fork. OK so long dumb story short when you lube the top of the oil seal ( i inject the lube with a needle) it is super buttery for about an hour, but then it dries out and becomes stiffer. When I rebuild Totems I always add a good glob of red rum to the seals or slick honey. The customers are always happy but honestly it dries out pretty quickly. So... my original question still remains.

Locs on Spokez
    moar slickoleum

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggz
    moar slickoleum
    Tthanks for your help. I just ordered some.

mtbr member
    There is nothing specific to the Totem that makes it prone to stiction from what I have seen. It just benefits from more frequent service.

Yes, when Totems start running dry, they don't run like they do after a fresh service, but that's standard for many forks. Easy to lube the top seal and change the bath oil if you need that "always fresh" feeling. Yes, there is a lot of surface area contact between the 40mm stanchions and the seals and it pays to keep the fork lubed.

Sounds like you should do the mod and let us know if it produces the results you want.

You have the skills to answer your own question in a few minutes and it's an easy fix if it doesn't do the trick.

I pack gobs of suspension lube into the space between the top and bottom seals in each leg on forks that don't run foam wipers. It lasts to the next service and helps to keep the top seal lubed.

Ex wrench and suspension tech myself.

Locs on Spokez
    I cut out the top oil seal as well btw

don't need it

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Maybe you need to get a 66 RC3. They are 3mm higher A2C than a Totem, not 15mm.

Members who have read this thread: 0