Mmmmm....canfield pedals- Mtbr.com
    biking is fun

Mmmmm....canfield pedals (new review and more pics!!!!)

well guys, heard they were in so i took the 30 min drive to pick them up. thought i would go all out and get 2 pair. i mean you can't ride different pedals or it would feel weird right?

they will get a good beating this weekend up in jackson hole. ill try to get out tonight for a pedal around the neighborhood to get a feel for them.

i got a pic of all of them together so you can compare an also got some weights to compare to the other pedals i have here

Canfield crampons = 390 grams
    Corsair flat pedals = 470 grams
    Atomlab trailkings = 540 grams

out of all of them the canfields are the lightest, thinnest, has the most pins, and have the largest platform.
    we'll see how they ride. ill post pics and a ride report on monday when i get back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by climbingbubba; 08-18-2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: updated content

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    gnar. I'm very interested in a set. Will be looking forward to your review.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    well guys, heard they were in so i took the 30 min drive to pick them up. thought i would go all out and get 2 pair. i mean you can't ride different pedals or it would feel weird right?
    Sir, you are a legend

Ahahaha
    Oct 2007
    You got a scale shot of those?

mtbr member
    I thought they were supposed to be black and gold? Now I need to rethink my whole color scheme.....

Capricious youth...
    I have Twenty6 pedals, and they're great! Super light, super grippy, but they don't offer any concave, which is something I kinda' want. The new ones supposedly offer some concave, so I might try those, but these Canfield pedals look SICK.

I'm also curious... when you step on the pedal, can you feel the axle through your shoe? If you can, I'm going to write these pedals off altogether. That would drive me insane.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Those pedals look like they are convex not concave or is it just the pic?
    Go BIG or Go HOME

biking is fun
    i have been wanting them for a longtime. i bought Chris canfields 08 jedi frame off him and when i went to look at it back in february i saw the prototype pedals. I knew then i wanted some. it took a while to finally get them so i hope its worth it.

as for the pedals, its not the most accurate weights im sure. i weighed it on a hang scale. its probably within 5 grams give or take. its just an idea of how they compare.

they are definately not concave. The pins are all the same length. they are just really long pins that start from one side and when you get half way through then there is the same pin sticking out each side. so if you are talking strictly pins then they are completely flat pedals.

Glad to Be Alive
    one word

jealousy
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Definately a cool design but I'm not digging the bulges in material at the bearing areas. I'm sure they're the bee's knees but that just doesn't look like it would be conducive to my sasquatch feet being to happy on them.

Petty and weak
    Interesting. Different and interesting. I've got my doubts too with the bearing bulk and flat profile, but man they look rad! Be good to hear how they perform.
    ~ Downride and Freehill, nothing else ~

biking is fun
    ok guys, a little update.

i just rode around the neighborhood for 10 minutes with flat sole skate shoes and my wife rode it with flip flops on that are really thin. neither of us felt the bulk of the bearings. we couldn't feel the spindle either. the felt like really really grippy flat pedals. no concave or convex feel to them.

im pretty stoked. if i can get out tomorrow night ill go do some riding, if not then ill have a full ride report with pics on monday.

Pivotal figure
    Did you get to chose the color of spindle?
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Did you get to chose the color of spindle?
    no i didn't. i never heard that was an option.

now i need to start saving again for a new rear shock and cranks, and eventually ust tires and the bike will be done. thinking Elka, Atlas FR, and unsure which tires.

man i need a wife who is more strict with my spending.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Those corsairs look fresh I want them.

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by frikka
    Those corsairs look fresh I want them.
    they are also great pedals. one pair went on my wifes bike and replaced the atomlab trailkings. the other pair are going to be back ups for the three bikes. not that i doubt any of them but its good to have back ups.

im not sure if corsair has started selling them, you could email them. i am friends with one of the corsair testers so he scored me 2 pair last fall. been beating the crap out of them ever since.

im pretty sure that most of these pedals are made in the same factory in taiwan. from what i understand, corsairs, deity, kona's, and now canfields are all made their. not %100 sure though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Ok.

mtbr member
    now i need to start saving again for a new rear shock and cranks, and eventually ust tires and the bike will be done. thinking Elka, Atlas FR, and unsure which tires.
    You are about to pimp your ride

check your six
    Wow-Wow-We-Wow!~~~

Those look amazing!! I must have a set. Can ya give a brotha an estimated retail price???
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak06
    Wow-Wow-We-Wow!~~~

Those look amazing!! I must have a set. Can ya give a brotha an estimated retail price???
    Says $150 on their site.

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Helheim
    Says $150 on their site.
    that is correct. $150. they only have about 10 more in stock right now. alot of people pre ordered them. they will be getting another shipment in a few weeks i hear. if you order now im sure you could get them shipped out ASAP.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    In my opinion, they're not very pretty. But they sure are skinny!

Reminds me of every contestant on "America's Next Top Model".

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    In my opinion, they're not very pretty. But they sure are skinny!

Reminds me of every contestant on "America's Next Top Model".
    yeah it seems either people love them or hate them. definately didn't buy them for looks (although i think they look sweet) its more about function.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I think they look sweet too. I'm curious to hear what you think of them after some trail time. The only things that concern me are the spindle/bearing bulges and the fact that they actually appear to be slightly convex. Not only is it thicker in the spindle area, but it gets thinner as you move further away from the spindle. I guess if you are only contacting the pins, than it really is just a flat platform versus concave or convex. I can't wait to hear more.

mtbr member
    Possibly only 1 set left if my order goes through

mtbr member
    i have been wanting them for a longtime. i bought Chris canfields 08 jedi frame off him and when i went to look at it back in february i saw the prototype pedals. I knew then i wanted some. it took a while to finally get them so i hope its worth it.

as for the pedals, its not the most accurate weights im sure. i weighed it on a hang scale. its probably within 5 grams give or take. its just an idea of how they compare.

they are definately not concave. The pins are all the same length. they are just really long pins that start from one side and when you get half way through then there is the same pin sticking out each side. so if you are talking strictly pins then they are completely flat pedals.
    What are the dimensions of the pedal platform? I'd like to know how big they really are and the guys from Canfield are on the road traveling to BC and couldn't give me a measurement. Thanks.

biking is fun

Riding REVIEW!!!!!!

ok, i skipped work today so i could get a ride in before i left for jackson this weekend. here are my thoughts.

Looks - they look sick

Feel - These things are very comfortable. with all of the pins it helped support my foot and didn't get any fatigue in my feet. it feel like the entire bottom of your foot that is touching the pedal is supported. The are definately flat pedals. they do not feel convex or concave. just flat.

Feel 2 - This is the hardest part to put in words. Do you know the feeling when you switched from the old school 1.5 inch thick pedals to kona wahwah's or deity decoy's or any other flat pedal? how it felt like you just gained a ton of stability and that you didn't feel like your foot was on a teeter totter? well thats how these feel again compared to the 17mm flat pedals. the feel stable!! it is the weirdest feeling at first. it feels like your cranks are attached straight into your shoe or something. like i said, its hard to explain. the main point is it would be hard to roll your foot off the pedal.

lack of feel - didn't notice the spindle rotating or the bulges on either side. just felt like a solid flat pedal.

grip - they are grippy, no suprise there. i have fiveten shoes and my foot didn't move.

durability - not much to say yet, clipped one rock going pretty fast with no signs of impact and i didn't crash so all in all they pass so far.

Overview - awesome pedals, not only does it put you 1/8th of an inch lower but it also gives you that much more clearance on the bottom. They took no getting used to and my feet stuck to them like i was clipped in. The support felt great as well.
    all in all im pretty happy with my purchase. now this is only one ride so ill give more thoughts next monday after a weekend of freeriding.

and here is two pics of the ride just for a little stoke.

my wife rolling a rock, steep up and steep down.
    then me hitting a little 10 footer. i ended up blowing out my tire hitting it the second time and since my wife had blew her tire out earlier i ended up walking down while she rode down with my spare tube happily in her rear tire.

Build More = Ride More
    Did you call to order? Web site still not selling them.

I'm 100% set on getting a pair in the next month or two.

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn
    Did you call to order? Web site still not selling them.

I'm 100% set on getting a pair in the next month or two.
    no i emailed him for the last 5 months bugging him. when they showed up i drove over and picked them. i live 30 min away.

i would say either call or email him. they might not start selling them online until the next shipment comes in. they were popular enough to sell almost all if not all of the first batch through internet hype.

its worth it

Petty and weak
    i ended up walking down while she rode down with my spare tube happily in her rear tire.
    You're very kind, I would have said "Sorry Honey, I need your tube so I can ride down and play with my new pedals, see you at the bottom."

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntled
    You're very kind, I would have said "Sorry Honey, I need your tube so I can ride down and play with my new pedals, see you at the bottom."
    im guessing your either not married or your wife doesn't bike

mtbr member
    They're here! They're here! Mine showed up in the mail box today. I'm calling in sick tomorrow!

Petty and weak
    im guessing your either not married or your wife doesn't bike
    The latter. Well, she did come for a ride, once

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntled
    The latter. Well, she did come for a ride, once
    did she get a flat and you made her walk down???

mtbr member
    So just got back from a trip around the hood with the new pedals.
    My feelings are up in the air right now. I can definitely feel the bearings on the outside of my foot and the spindle was squeaking under my shoes. I'm riding w/ the old version Sam Hill 5.10's and have a standard 10.5 size foot. Now I'm not complaining, I think feeling the bump on the outside of my foot might become reassuring in the fact that I will always know where my foot is in relation to the pedal. As for the squeaking....I need to get my shoes dirty.
    On the plus they do grip like mad (I'm trying the short pins first) and they do give you the sensation of your foot being connected directly to the cranks. Crazy I know.
    Time will tell. I'm a bit of an expert at bashing my pedals into things so this will be interesting.
    josie 050.JPG

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by murd
    So just got back from a trip around the hood with the new pedals.
    My feelings are up in the air right now. I can definitely feel the bearings on the outside of my foot and the spindle was squeaking under my shoes. I'm riding w/ the old version Sam Hill 5.10's and have a standard 10.5 size foot. Now I'm not complaining, I think feeling the bump on the outside of my foot might become reassuring in the fact that I will always know where my foot is in relation to the pedal. As for the squeaking....I need to get my shoes dirty.
    On the plus they do grip like mad (I'm trying the short pins first) and they do give you the sensation of you foot being connected directly to the cranks. Crazy I know.
    Time will tell. I'm a bit of an expert at bashing my pedals into things so this will be interesting.
    hmm. maybe its cause you used the short pins. also i don't know if you did but it came with 8 even longer pins that are supposed to go next to the bulges.

it would be interesting to see if you used the long pins if you would still feel the bulge and have the squeek. i spent about an hour on mine today with neither of the problems you mentioned.

mtbr member
    I did use the 8mm pins next to the bulges but I did not put pins in the 4 inner holes closest to the spindle. Maybe that's the next move. Anyway I'm going to roll with the shorts for a real ride tomorrow and then maybe start messing with lengths and placement. I'll let you know on Monday. I'm heading for the hills!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You might be able to run longer pins at the front an rear with shorter pins near the middle to get a concave feel out of the pedal too.

not a forum admin

out of all of them the canfields are the lightest, thinnest, has the most pins, and have the largest platform.
    we'll see how they ride. ill post pics and a ride report on monday when i get back.
    I can just tell you know how they will ride. You will never want to ride another brand of pedals again. It was painful to give the test pair back to chris. very very painful.

Glad to Be Alive
    thanks for letting us know about the hump
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

not a forum admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    I have Twenty6 pedals, and they're great! Super light, super grippy, but they don't offer any concave, which is something I kinda' want. .
    I think that is in the works.

not a forum admin
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness
    Definately a cool design but I'm not digging the bulges in material at the bearing areas. I'm sure they're the bee's knees but that just doesn't look like it would be conducive to my sasquatch feet being to happy on them.
    i wear size 13 - i had no issues. sometimes on the 3 mile road up to the dh trails i could feel the side slightly because i stand and pedal the whole thing. and only if i thought about it. on a 20+ all mtn ride, ever an issue while sitting. never an issue while riding, never an issue really.

not a forum admin
    Quote Originally Posted by murd
    I can definitely feel the bearings on the outside of my foot and the spindle was squeaking under my shoes. I'm riding w/ the old version Sam Hill 5.10's and have a standard 10.5 size foot.
    josie 050.JPG

I felt the outer bearing only in hard corners and it helped keep my foot from rolling. that when when i thought it when pedaling up the hill. i'd have to say the fact that my foot didn't want to roll is reason enough to have that feeling. + if your trails are so tame you can think about your feet... well... nah, just playin. but seriously, did you really feel them when you were riding, or just pedaling up, or messing around? oh yeah - i'm 235lbs and wear size 13.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I must say I think the po1nt racing pedals have the cake on this one.
    11-13mm thickness AND concave. lighter. axle doesn't rub on or foot (or hit rocks from the underside?!?!?). they are not ugly. the overall pedal thickness is thinner (because of the bulge). sealed bearings instead of bushings.
    And it seems to me that if you shoe is on the bulges then you are riding on a pedal that is that is as thick as the bulges. I dunno.
    www.pointoneracing.com
    rumor has it they are developing an axel-less pedal as well...not sure how true that is though

not a forum admin
    Quote Originally Posted by DH_Racer
    I must say I think the po1nt racing pedals have the cake on this one.
    11-13mm thickness AND concave. lighter. axle doesn't rub on or foot (or hit rocks from the underside?!?!?). they are not ugly. the overall pedal thickness is thinner (because of the bulge). sealed bearings instead of bushings.
    And it seems to me that if you shoe is on the bulges then you are riding on a pedal that is that is as thick as the bulges. I dunno.
    www.pointoneracing.com
    rumor has it they are developing an axel-less pedal as well...not sure how true that is though

Jimmy and co. are smart guys who make great stuff. Though with that being said I am still interested to see how long that bearing will last and how much leverage it can take. If it holds up and the pedal works well, more power to them. It is good to have 3 to 4 great pedal makers out there right now. We all can only benefit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Mine have just arrived! Anyone played around with the Pin lengths and locations yet?

mtbr member
    I had to install pins in all the holes (long on the outside, short in the middle) to get ride of the bulge and stop the axle from squeaking on the bottom of my shoe. It is kind of like riding on a bed of nails but they still feel solid under my feet. I'm happy with them but they won't be the last pair of pedals I ever buy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I was interested when i first saw these awhile ago but i was worried that it would cause some sore foot arches even in 5.10s but it seems that you guys who have them arent noticing that problem too much.
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

biking is fun

Review part 2

ok, back from jackson hole and had a good mix of freeride and XC/AM riding.

the pedals still rock. they held up well to all the abuse and even a good crash so durability is definately not an issue.

The feel - again it feels like your foot is attached to the crank arm. you get no teeter totter feel like you sometimes do with taller pedals.

jumping - the felt stable on take off and landing. this is good cause i have had a few times in the past where i land bad and my foot comes spinning off the pedal. it felt like the extra thinness combined with the many pins made it more stable. also there was a few times i was coming into a 25 foot jump and i wan pedaling as fast as i could and the der jumped gears. usually when that happens your foot can slip and its not good but it didn't really affect me with these pedals.

pedaling - i actually spent a really long day pedaling uphill with these. we did an xc trail that climbed to the top of a ski resort, down the backside, went 8 miles down in the valley, then climbed up to the top of the mountain range thats next to the resort and back down singletrack to the start. a very big long uphill nast loop, which if you know me its not my usual trail.
    i have to say that when you are pedaling up a trail that is switchbacking up a run thats usually a double black diamond run you have alot of time to think. i really tried to notice the problems that others have mentioned with the bulges and the spindle. i did feel the bulge on the outside of my foot but only when i was really really thinking about it. i never once noticed the spindle squeeking on my shoe. it did however pedal like a champ. just like the canfield brothers had said. you don't feel the dead spot at the top of your stroke like you do with taller pedals. this means you can push all the way over the top and keep good momentum.
    the trail also had some very tech, rocky climbs. i very much enjoyed the little bit of extra clearance. there were a few times on the way up and down that i was pedaling and heard a rock scrape on the pins. if i had taller pedals it might have only scrapped some more bot it might have also stopped me or knocked me out of control. hard to say but you can notice a little difference.

ok time for work. don't knock my spelling. i know i suck and especially in the morning.

and now some pics to help make it through the day.

ill try and put them in order but it sometimes mixes them up so.

1. step down from a boulder (about 15 feet, the one with all the flowers)
    2. step up onto a boulder (super tech cause its only about 3 feet wide and you have to make a turn before the drop)
    3. drop off the boulder
    4. almost failed drop off the boulder, one of those "this is going to hurt" moments but somehow you are ok and ride it out.
    5. shopping cart jump (really fast run it and it just throws you long, skimming over the top
    6. 25 foot jump (biggest i have ever hit, has a nice case pad though)
    7. gully gap!!! really really fun but 30 feet after the landing i blew the corner and ate it good.

enjoy

biking is fun
    and the rest of the pics

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Great pics and good info on the pedals. A very thorough review. The first image in the second sequence wasn't coming up though. Anyway, stoked to hear some more details from others about their new pedals. Let's hear it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    After refreshing the page that first pic came up. Nice work, and nice save on that boulder drop. It looks like things are going to get ugly, so I can only imagine how it felt.

Commit or eat sh!t
    4. almost failed drop off the boulder, one of those "this is going to hurt" moments but somehow you are ok and ride it out.
    Don't know how you survived this one. The front wheel looks like it is about to get taco'ed. Good pictures!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Nice pics dude! Stoked to see you hit the rock and the gap after it. That's such a fun line, love it...

Glad to hear the pedals are working out, they sure look promising.

biking is fun
    thanks for the comments guys, i have been doing ride alongs at the fire station during the days and paramedic school at nights so no time to ride. planning on getting 2 more good days this weekend and ill update about them.

im also getting a new fork to test and hopefully something else to go with it so i can do another review.

updates to come and of coarse more pics.

Glad to Be Alive
    way cool pics and write up

Now with More Wood
    Cool pics. Close call on the drop, eh? Coulda been scary - good save!

mtbr member
    received mine today in the mail.

w pins 382g. That is only 2g heavier then the wellgo mags that I have laying around.

All mounted up on the bike for a test ride tomorrow - parking lot test I do not feel the bulge of the bearing around my foot. Will be interesting to see if the exposed axle squeaks/squaks on the bottom of my fivetens.

biking is fun
    rode them on the pedal catcher trail and hit them a few times. held up great.

Follow up report on the squeek.

so about 25% of the time when im pedalling uphill i hear the squeek. Its only on my left foot though. my cranks make noises too so its no big deal to me.

im still in love with the pedals though.

mtbr member
    K, have ~ 12hours of time on them now, am quite pleased overall.

Axle squeak - was present for the first hour or so, but found placing foot as centered as possible keeps the sole of the shoe off the exposed axle. Todays adventure I didnt hear a peep.

ground clearance - with other pedals I normally clip things a minimum 6-8 times a ride. with these I honestly do not remember more then twice. I am very pleased with this result.

The couple times I did clip them on a rock, they showed very little sign of contact, so I am really looking forward to the long term durability.

The only "negative" thing I noticed today, was some of the pins are starting to work themselves out (I can actually turn some of them by hand now). The pins did come w blue loctite on them, but I intend to remove all of the pins and secure them in w red loctite. I also need to check if the loose pins are the ones that made contact w misc objects......

Members who have read this thread: 0