Minion's- Mtbr.com

Thread: Minion's

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Minion's

Just bought a pair of Minions for the DH bike, but did not realize I ordered the Maxxis Minion DHF EXO 26x2.5 Single-Ply Tire instead of the dual ply downhill model, has anyone run these on their downhill bikes?

This is my first year owning a DH bike, also first year racing, so acquiring different tires for all the varying conditions and tracks is probably not a bad idea unless everyone thinks these tires just won't hold up on a DH track.

Also open to hearing what tires people are running, I ride mainly at Highlands in NH for reference.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've been running those set up Ghetto-tubeless, and havent had a flat in 2 years! They work well for me and I'm not a smooth(I'm a hack) rider. Since you're in the NorthEast, you might want to pick up a set of Swamp Things for those muddy races. Universal Cycles has them for 25 bucks.

2010 Glory custom FR
    EXO is no single ply. It's rather 1,5ply. They have anti snake bike inserts in the walls.

Which compound did you buy? MaxxPro or 3C?
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The 3c

Shred...it's the new drug
    those never hold up here in AZ...the rocks chew through them like paper. for nice loamy tracks they're good. for gnar...not so good. hell I even run double walls on my trail bike

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpeteinsc
    I've been running those set up Ghetto-tubeless, and havent had a flat in 2 years! They work well for me and I'm not a smooth(I'm a hack) rider. Since you're in the NorthEast, you might want to pick up a set of Swamp Things for those muddy races. Universal Cycles has them for 25 bucks.
    2 years? They've only had the EXO models for a year at the most...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    those never hold up here in AZ...the rocks chew through them like paper. for nice loamy tracks they're good. for gnar...not so good. hell I even run double walls on my trail bike
    What kind of tires do you run?

Shred...it's the new drug
    Quote Originally Posted by colin1
    What kind of tires do you run?
    double wall minion dhf front and rear or a double wall set of ardents 3c that I got a good deal on...maxxis all the time nothing else will do

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Bob is still angry with me for my recent Minion DHF Exo 3C failure on a shuttle run. I told everyone else to go ahead while I put a tube in and my pump then fell apart in my hands so I had to walk back to the van.

I really like the Exo 3C overall for its grip and light weight. I still run it on the front of both my trail and DH bikes. I can't, however, keep it alive on the rear and had to go to a two-ply Minion.

For reference, I'm about 205 in gear and ride Arizona chunk.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    the EXO's suck for the rocky dh east coast riding

Members who have read this thread: 0