Minion 27.5x2.5 on DT fr570... No go. Why?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Minion 27.5x2.5 on DT fr570... No go. Why?

I bought Maxxis Minions in 27.5 last year when they were available in the fall. I wanted the DT Swiss fr570 rims to go with them. I waited 8 months for these rims. I built up the wheel myself (not my first btw) and loved it.

The issues:
    -There still aren't 27.5 DH specific tubes.

-The tires fit WAY too tight.

-There aren't any long stems on DH tubes, despite rims getting deeper.

The tire was a bit of a pain to get even the first side on, but not nearly as hard as the second side. Since no one makes a 27.5 DH tube, I took a 26" DH tube and over inflated it to stretch it out. I obviously left all the air out before trying to mount it. This was a Continental tube with an unthreadad Presta valve. It seemed thinner than some DH tubes, but still good. I couldn't get the tire on to save my life. 2 of us fought to wrestle this thing on (without levers). We kept making sure the tube wasn't between the tire and rim. Finally, after 10 minutes it was on all the way. I went to inflate it with the floor pump but it wouldn't. We had to dismount the tire! There were 6 pinches in the tube, 2 of which caused the flat.

Next, I set the tire mounted on one side, out in the sun for several hours and an over inflated tube also. After 2 hours I deflated the tube and put it in. I started at the stem as always, but these rims aren't deep at all. The stem was in the way, so I had to push the stem into the rim to get the tire to seat right. I finally got the entire thing mounted by myself in about 20 minutes! I needed to use these massive nuts (like that?) that IRC sends with there tubes just to pull the stem thru so it sticks out 8mm. After inflating to 40psi. I'm still not seated about 10% on both sides.

Why the F do they make this schitt so hard? Due to the stem lengths alone, you pretty much have to go tubeless. The Light-bicycle rims are 35mm deep and only do Presta. That's mandatory tubeless and the reason I avoided them... Besides their cracking issues too.

WTF you F'ing idiots! Make schitt to standards so everything fits from the factory!

F. U., Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post
    I bought Maxxis Minions in 27.5 last year when they were available in the fall. I wanted the DT Swiss fr570 rims to go with them. I waited 8 months for these rims. I built up the wheel myself (not my first btw) and loved it.

The issues:
    -There still aren't 27.5 DH specific tubes.

-The tires fit WAY too tight.

-There aren't any long stems on DH tubes, despite rims getting deeper.

The tire was a bit of a pain to get even the first side on, but not nearly as hard as the second side. Since no one makes a 27.5 DH tube, I took a 26" DH tube and over inflated it to stretch it out. I obviously left all the air out before trying to mount it. This was a Continental tube with an unthreadad Presta valve. It seemed thinner than some DH tubes, but still good. I couldn't get the tire on to save my life. 2 of us fought to wrestle this thing on (without levers). We kept making sure the tube wasn't between the tire and rim. Finally, after 10 minutes it was on all the way. I went to inflate it with the floor pump but it wouldn't. We had to dismount the tire! There were 6 pinches in the tube, 2 of which caused the flat.

Next, I set the tire mounted on one side, out in the sun for several hours and an over inflated tube also. After 2 hours I deflated the tube and put it in. I started at the stem as always, but these rims aren't deep at all. The stem was in the way, so I had to push the stem into the rim to get the tire to seat right. I finally got the entire thing mounted by myself in about 20 minutes! I needed to use these massive nuts (like that?) that IRC sends with there tubes just to pull the stem thru so it sticks out 8mm. After inflating to 40psi. I'm still not seated about 10% on both sides.

Why the F do they make this schitt so hard? Due to the stem lengths alone, you pretty much have to go tubeless. The Light-bicycle rims are 35mm deep and only do Presta. That's mandatory tubeless and the reason I avoided them... Besides their cracking issues too.

WTF you F'ing idiots! Make schitt to standards so everything fits from the factory!

F. U., Fahn
    I tubeless'd my FR570s w/ 2 layers of gaffer's tape, Stans valve stem, and some Bontrager G5 Team Issue tires (2.5). It went together seamlessly.

J:
    I almost posted something similar OP... like to hear your thoughts on how those rims hold up after some abuse.
    video=youtube;][/video]...

Glad to Be Alive
    Not sure if you tried, but I use a heavy concentration of dish soap on the bead of tire and a little on edge of rim....helps alot ??

Furthermore tubes???? Really??? Convert it to tubeless....been doing that since 2004...works awesome
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Not for DH, boys. I'll keep my tubes and confidence. I had 2 holes @ Whistler that no tubeless stuff would help. Instead, I installed 2 sidewall patches I made and ran them for the next year without any issues.

I also did Panaracer Rampage 2.3 tires on my Remedy. Worst. Idea. Evar! The first blew off in the shop with about 15psi. Then it blew off on the trail a week later. The rear one blew off within a month.

My other example of tubeless, Gwinn.

I'll have to see what Maxxis says about the fit.

Why is the Panaracer loose, Maxxis tight and Kenda just right?

My buddy had the same issue with WTB Bronson tires on his 29'er carbon Roval rims. WTB sent him 2 new tires that we're still way too tight to fit those rims. WHY?
    Hubbard Bike Club

brake later, pedal sooner
    I've had tubeless on my Maxxis DH tires for 6 years now and only TWICE have I ever had a problem with punctures....and both were my fault doing dumb stuff in an area I shouldn't have been in. Tubes are a joke. BTW Maxxis does not make a 27.5" x 2.5" tire (it is 2.4" width).

The tires are tight fit, but there is a method to putting them on and it makes it quite simple. I just mounted a 27.5" DHR II downhill tire to my Enve (deep dished) wheels.... took about 20 minutes start to finish (including taking the old tire off). You need two levers sometimes. I use the black Park Tool steel core levers for the carbon rims. Keep one lever in place, then use the other lever to work the bead on every 1-2" apart...so you end up shimmying the lever over 9-10 times or more to put it on...it'll go on.

In my past, I would have written a story like yours above...which as harsh as it may sound, is just a bunch of user error I know it is difficult to put them on, but there is a technique and it just takes a while to learn.

mtbr member
    16 years in a shop, I think I've done this before. Ever work with mustangs? Enough said.

And yes, they do make the minion in 2.5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Minion 27.5x2.5 on DT fr570... No go. Why?-20150504_161055_resized_1.jpg  

Last edited by LarryFahn; 05-04-2015 at 06:30 PM.
    Hubbard Bike Club

J:
    [QUOTE=ustemuf;5"

In my past, I would have written a story like yours above...which as harsh as it may sound, is just a bunch of user error I know it is difficult to put them on, but there is a technique and it just takes a while to learn.[/QUOTE]

Having to install with tight/ new tubes that are too small for the rim now is different.. trick is to air them up inside the tire ( before installing 2nd bead ) so they grow up away from the rim..
    video=youtube;][/video]...

brake later, pedal sooner
    Oops, I was thinking of the DHR II not the DHF. They do make DHF in 2.5. I don't run DHF's anymore since release of the DHR II so I haven't kept up since the 650B release.

16 years in a shop doesn't mean anything. I know people that can do something their whole life and still not be good at it. If ya put the tire on and ended up with 6 pinch flats, it is safe to say you might be part of that club.

It's tight, but they go on without too much of a problem when you do it right.

Also, they make tubes with longer valves which are required for carbon rims, at least for the Enves. You can also get a valve extender if you want, but why are you running tubes in the first place?

Failure all around with an attitude! Good luck putting on a tire...see ya on the trails?? maybe? Enough said.

mtbr member
    If a tire change took you 20 minutes in a shop, you'd be fired.

If there are DH tubes with longer valve stems on them in Presta or Schrader, then please show me where. The only things i found were shorter valves on DH tubes.

Again, why do some tires fall on the rim and others take 20 minutes? Why can't they make them to a specific standard? Who wants to argue with a rim and tire?

Why are we even arguing about this? Too tight (like these) is never any good. What's the point of a super tight fit that can damage a tire or rim when you have to remove it?

Ttyl, Fahn

Ps. The tire appropriately seated over night.
    Hubbard Bike Club