Mike Vandeman Arrested- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mike Vandeman Arrested

Little cross post here, but great news for the MTB community.

If you have spent any time at all on mountain biking forums you probably know the name Mike Vandeman. On his Web site, Mr. Vandeman lists 'Fighting Mountain Biking' as one of his current interests. Recently he took this a too literally and as a result he's been charged with assault with a deadly weapon. Below is the posting on the UC Berkeley Police Dept. Web site.

East-West Fire Trail
    June 1, 2010

On Friday, May 28, 2010 UCPD received a report of an assault with a deadly weapon which had occurred around 6 weeks earlier. The assault occurred on a Sunday on the East-West Fire Trail located in the hills above campus. The victims, two non-affiliated White males, reported the crime after hearing of similar incidents occurring to bicyclists on the fire trail. The victims were riding their bicycles westbound on the trail when they encountered the suspect walking in the opposite direction. The suspect was holding a handsaw and cut one of the victims across the chest with the saw. The victims asked the suspect why he had attacked them. He told them they should not be riding their bicycles on the trail. The victims positively identified the suspect from a photograph. UCPD contacted the suspect who admitted to holding a saw in front of some bicyclists on a trail and contacting one of them with the saw. The suspect was subsequently taken into custody. One of the victims suffered minor injuries during the assault. Additional charges may be filed from similar incidences on the fire trail including one reported in a crime alert on May 6, 2010.

The suspect is described as:

VANDEMAN, Michael J., a White non-affiliated male, 67 years of age.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UzwYMn7fDrI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UzwYMn7fDrI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzwYM...layer_embedded
    Voice your support for Timberline Bike Park
    http://www.timberlinelodge.com/mountainbike/

Capricious youth...
    Fry that @sshole..
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    WTF??? I still can't get used to all the mt bike haters out there. Almost all the trails I ride aren't used for any other activity and still there's plenty of people trying to shutdown bike access to trails or prevent new ones from being built. Why are people so bothered by something that seemingly has little direct impact on their lives? It's not like we're riding through the woods setting crap on fire. Hope he stays in jail til he's too old to try and hurt people anymore.

mtbr member
    Death Penalty!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    What is the background story on this guy?

mtbr member
    Lucky that was in Commieforina because he could have got his ass whooped in other states. What a giant DB.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ccspecialized
    What is the background story on this guy?
    Looking at his website it sounds like he's a hardcore environmentalist. He believes nature should be left alone and hikers and bikers alike are destroying the forests and killing animals. If you're bored might be worth checking out.

His website:
    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/

Interesting info about him here:
    http://evergreenmtb.org/php/show_page.php?page_id=32

Jackalope Hunter
    Holy crap what a nut job. I read through some of his stuff... complete horsesh!t.
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

Its got what plants crave
    Everyone should bring mountain bikes to his trial.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Everyone should bring mountain bikes to his trial.
    they have to be carpet fibre
    Alu and steel set off the metal detectors
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hahaha, I hope they give him wireless in jail so he can see me take a [email protected] on his local trails and then post about how mtb'ers did it!

From his website"

Favorite People:

"I prefer people (like some of those I found in Synanon) who want to make the world better. It amazes me how many people think that life consists of simply building their own nest, & then sitting in it. Where do they think the tree came from?"

****Hey, lets all donate our assest towards his jail bond!

(to join Synanon's cult you had to give them all your "assets")
    2020 Santa Cruz Megatower

2019 Chromag Rootdown

2019 Specialized Stump-jumper EVO 29er

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If cycling REALLY was his passion he wouldn't do stupid things like that! Sounds like he is trying to gain sympathy from other non cyclists.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by genemk
    Looking at his website it sounds like he's a hardcore environmentalist. He believes nature should be left alone and hikers and bikers alike are destroying the forests and killing animals. If you're bored might be worth checking out.

His website:
    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/

Interesting info about him here:
    http://evergreenmtb.org/php/show_page.php?page_id=32

just did a half hour of reading his stuff (check the fan mail!)

its.... intresting.
    Out, out, brief candle!
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage

Pivotal figure
    He also has an "interesting" FB page. Of course it's been overrun by unruly bikers but that's how it goes sometimes

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mounta...599?ref=search
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Freetard.
    Quote Originally Posted by sikocycles
    Lucky that was in Commieforina because he could have got his ass whooped in other states. What a giant DB.
    Yeah, come visit California with that attitude. If someone came near me with a saw, it would be a whole different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Those cables on the Socom look flexy

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    when hippies gone mad.... the sequel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    they have to be carpet fibre
    Alu and steel set off the metal detectors
    Carpet fibre?

Best part of his site: http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/overview

Old man on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by AmirBernard
    when hippies gone mad.... the sequel
    Hippie? Mike Vandeman? You're deranged!
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Nut!
    . If someone came near me with a saw, it would be a whole different story.
    principle for me....I act irrationally a lot when backed in a corner....be a sad day and lots of blood
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

helmetcrusher
    Jan 2009
    So , according to this idiot , bikers and hikers are destroying the nature? He s just another
    deranged person hiding behind the mask of the hard core environmentalists...
    Hope he ll get some jail time...like 5 years or so

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iridemtb
    Hahahaha. A total LOL. That's just awesome. If one didn't think he was being serious..

One of my favourites from there:

Christs sakes, that could be from anywhere, inside city limits included.
    What a wacko.

Also can't stop laughing at the poor squirrel. Yea, look at that!! That's what the bikers do just for fun!!! O' boy..

In Armor We Trust
    What a psycho.
    DH: Pivot Phoenix
    AM: Pivot Mach 6
    FG: KHS Flite 100

bike rider
    According to his website he's also against rafting, country roads, and girls in pigtails.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    According to his website he's also against rafting, country roads, and girls in pigtails.
    That's understandable. You'd have to hurt a pig to get its tail...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    principle for me....I act irrationally a lot when backed in a corner....be a sad day and lots of blood
    I dont know Bob I think even at your age youd stand a chance, give yourself a little credit!

Besides you dont bleed blood just beer!
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew
    Besides you dont bleed blood just beer!
    that's when we give him a TQ transfusion!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    Watch out for jcdill on this forum too, but she usually keeps her trolling limited to the NorCal board. She's another hater who hijacked the NorCal thread on Mike V being arrested.
    Talk about trolling and hijacking, Anne - here you went and did just that yourself.

You just can't help yourself can you?

I work hard to be inclusive, to respect everyone's rights to enjoy the trails and to help my fellow mountain bikers do the right things (both on- and off-trail) to gain more trail access. You don't agree with my approach, and you don't respect that I have a right to advocate a different approach than you do. But you can't make your points politely and respectfully. When I've called you on it, instead of admitting your mistakes (or agreeing to disagree, a perfectly valid response) you launch into a vendetta against me, spread lies about me, attack me. I've never done any of these things to you.

I'm not the hater around here. I'm definitely not the one providing ever more fodder for the Mike V's out there to hate MTBers.

Capricious youth...
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdill
    Talk about trolling and hijacking, Anne - here you went and did just that yourself.

You just can't help yourself can you?

I work hard to be inclusive, to respect everyone's rights to enjoy the trails and to help my fellow mountain bikers do the right things (both on- and off-trail) to gain more trail access. You don't agree with my approach, and you don't respect that I have a right to advocate a different approach than you do. But you can't make your points politely and respectfully. When I've called you on it, instead of admitting your mistakes (or agreeing to disagree, a perfectly valid response) you launch into a vendetta against me, spread lies about me, attack me. I've never done any of these things to you.

I'm not the hater around here. I'm definitely not the one providing ever more fodder for the Mike V's out there to hate MTBers.
    Here's the problem. People like you come into a forum like this expecting to be heard. No matter how rational you, as a person, may be, when you walk into a room, or log into a forum, of thousands of people who all have a very similar perspective. A perspective that we, as mountain bikers are limited to what we love to do (and we all pay taxes just like everyone else) because of trail closures that are often only closed to bikers, and the unfair image that is placed on ALL mountain bikers, you're asking for trouble.

When you enter into this realm, you invite people to give you crap... why? Because of where you placed yourself. If I walked into a meeting full of equestrians, or hikers, and I was basically the ONLY mountain bikers, I'd go into it knowing full well that:

#1 - It was going to be a difficult fight.
    #2 - I'd probably not be heard at all.
    #3 - I'd probably leave more upset than when I walked in in the first place.

I don't go into certain parts of town... why? Because I don't belong. You may want to avoid certain parts of the web.

I, for one, respect your freedom to speak your mind. I also enjoy my freedom to think that certain people's perspectives are often way off base. And moreso, I enjoy the freedom to tell you that you don't belong here, and that your opinions will continue to fall on deaf ears.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    Here's the problem. People like you come into a forum like this expecting to be heard. No matter how rational you, as a person, may be, when you walk into a room, or log into a forum, of thousands of people who all have a very similar perspective. A perspective that we, as mountain bikers are limited to what we love to do (and we all pay taxes just like everyone else) because of trail closures that are often only closed to bikers, and the unfair image that is placed on ALL mountain bikers, you're asking for trouble.

When you enter into this realm, you invite people to give you crap... why? Because of where you placed yourself. If I walked into a meeting full of equestrians, or hikers, and I was basically the ONLY mountain bikers, I'd go into it knowing full well that:

#1 - It was going to be a difficult fight.
    #2 - I'd probably not be heard at all.
    #3 - I'd probably leave more upset than when I walked in in the first place.

I don't go into certain parts of town... why? Because I don't belong. You may want to avoid certain parts of the web.

I, for one, respect your freedom to speak your mind. I also enjoy my freedom to think that certain people's perspectives are often way off base. And moreso, I enjoy the freedom to tell you that you don't belong here, and that your opinions will continue to fall on deaf ears.
    I appreciate your opinion, and especially how you share it in a respectful way. Thank you!

However, I find a few things here that are alarming. First, you say "people like you" but you don't know what "people like me" are really like! You are making some big assumptions about me, apparently based in large part on what other people say about me instead of what I say, what I do. Second, you claim that I don't belong here. Funny, I thought this was a forum for mountain bikers, and I'm definitely a mountain biker. Are you saying this is really only a forum for mountain bikers who think exactly like you do? It's supposed to be a mutual admiration party, with no dissenting views ever expressed? Because this goes contrary to your respect for my freedom to speak my mind as well as opposing the stated purpose of the MTBR forum as a place for all mountain bikers to discuss mountain biking topics. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

I'd also like to address many of your other points but someone will certainly jump in and say I'm hijacking the thread. If you want to have a conversation on those topics elsewhere, let me know.

dirt rules

Update!

http://peterfrickwright.com/2011/03/...t/#more-600%27

The jury could not reach a verdict on the felony. For the misdemeanors,
    there were three guilty and two not-guilty verdicts. The defendant is
    free until sentencing.
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...ef6d2c0311fa1#

P-51 Crew Chief #38
    F**k Mike V. Hope he get's a human booster shot from a guy named Mollie in jail. We had a guy like that in Truckee. Let's just say he never made it to trial. Best part of the trial coverage. When it came to the the weapons charge. The article said "One of the elements of assault with a deadly weapon is whether or not the accused meant to cause bodily harm with their action". WTF???!!! If you strike someone with a handsaw what did you intend with that action. A rub down and a shiatsu?!
    Balls to the wall until you see god. Turn Left!

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by dhtahoe
    When it came to the the weapons charge. The article said "One of the elements of assault with a deadly weapon is whether or not the accused meant to cause bodily harm with their action". WTF???!!! If you strike someone with a handsaw what did you intend with that action. A rub down and a shiatsu?!
    it is more a matter of the intent of having said handsaw, and that is where lawyers come in. did he intend to hurt someone, or was it merely a matter of circumstance? .001% doubt = not guilty.

J:
    Wack job needs carbon knuckle sandwich, did the rider get cut with the saw edge or hit on the other side?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJDOG
    Wack job needs carbon knuckle sandwich, did the rider get cut with the saw edge or hit on the other side?
    Does someone make carbon knuckles?

dirt rules

mtbr member
    I'm not understanding this at all, really How could he approach any biker with a saw and not get his head bashed in with said bikers bike and be left for who ever to find him. Glad I've never come across this sort of crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

J:
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjosedre
    Does someone make carbon knuckles?
    Those are crazy knuckles. . the one's I've seen are just on the last two fingers

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    I'm not understanding this at all, really How could he approach any biker with a saw and not get his head bashed in with said bikers bike and be left for who ever to find him. Glad I've never come across this sort of crap.

Have not read anything about this but sounds like this guy was pushed with the saw if they let him go.

Still completely wrong but much diff than having the f'n buisness end of a saw cut across your chest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If someone came at me on a trail like that they would find an 18" mongoose, wheels and all stuck firmly where the sun don't shine, followed by a severe telling off from my hands and feet. Bloody psycho, most bikers I know really respect nature

Members who have read this thread: 1