Mid weight FR UST tire- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Mid weight FR UST tire

I am switching over to tubeless for the first time. I will be running Mavic 823's. For regular DH/FR riding I will use Minion DHF UST and High Roller UST 2.5's.

But, I do occasionally trail ride (AM/XC) with the same bike, a Turner Highline. I am looking for a good mid weight UST FR tire that can hold up to a heavy bike (40 lb) and rider (200lb). Looking for a 2.3 - 2.4 and hoping to keep the tire weight around 1000g. Any suggestions?

Any opinions on the following:

Schwalbe Big Betty or Muddy Mary UST?
    Continental Mountain King, Rubber Queen, Rain King?
    Michelins?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have the big betty up front. I have a 38 lb 7point, mostly pedal up style FR/DH with equal part DJ. The tire is awesome. sidewall is single ply but very thick. tire is a 2.4. plenty of traction in varying conditions. the clincher is it is ~850-880 grams. the sh*t part is they seem to be expensive. i was looking for a light weight all around tire that wasn't some half assed single ply glorified xc knobby. this was it. i love this f'n tire, or it may be the IPA talkin', or the fact I am still in lab working.

mtbr member
    Conti Rubber Queens!!!

squish is good
    Have you considered a set of 2.5 single ply DHF's? I just ordered a pair of these based on recommendations so I can't offer direct experience but supposedly they roll fast, corner like their 2-ply brothers (which I have LOTS of experience on) and take to a UST rim with a little sealant really well. I usually don't shoot from the hip with tire recommendations but the things I've heard about these tires sound exactly like what you, and I are looking for. They aren't available in North America so if you want to get some you gotta order from Europe. Chain Reaction Cycles is where I ordered mine but they can't keep them in stock, you gotta check in periodically if you want to catch a pair.

Otherwise you really can't go wrong with a set of 2.35 UST Nevegals. Those are my keep coming back to tire setup when I'm let down by over-hyped setups.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    I've just put some Conti Rubber Queen 2.4" UST tyres on Crossmax SX wheels. I have Mtn Kings on my xc bike too. The MK are a much lower profile than the RQ. The RQ compound feels similiar to the 2.5" UST Minions i've run in the past but they are a bit lighter. I haven't ridden them yet though and i do have the 2.2" UST RQ coming in the next few days. So far the 2.4"s look like a nice, large volume, soft compound tyre.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    Otherwise you really can't go wrong with a set of 2.35 UST Nevegals. Those are my keep coming back to tire setup when I'm let down by over-hyped setups.
    I've had pretty good luck with these except for a couple strange punctures on my rear tire. the rubber is soft that I think they're prone to it... Good all-round tire otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Get the Maxxis LUST High Rollers. They are about 850 grams and are more stiff than foldable but not full DH casing. I have even ridden these at Whislter for a week with no problems.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i haven't had luck with the single ply Minion's like the above poster, i have a set worked fine for slower trails but as soon as i took it to my local DH style hill they were far to flexy even at 50PSI you could feel the flex in the sidewalls, aswell as the regular compound tire not providing as much grip as the sticky counterparts of the dual ply UST's, 1/2 way through the day after giving them an honest shot, i took em off and put back on an old set of Dual ply Minion UST super tacky's and difference is night and day. although with the single ply's my Perp was a lowly 37 pounds now it's a fatty at 39 lol.

i'd check out the continental's if your looking to drop a bit of weight MM BB style.

Members who have read this thread: 0