Michigan DHers; Boyne Highlands trip- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Michigan DHers; Boyne Highlands trip

Got a small group planning on heading to Highlands for July 6-8.
    Camping at Petosky SP.
    Anyone want to hook up for a little lift served, midwest style?
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jurichar View Post
    im from michigan but didnt get into the bike scene until moving to colorado. How is the terrain at boyne? Is it worth bringing a rig when i make to trip to visit the family?
    This will be my first trip there but the video looks promising and I've heard good things

Michigan Summer & Fall Vacations | Summer Vacation Resorts in Michigan | BOYNE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    Got a small group planning on heading to Highlands for July 6-8.
    Camping at Petosky SP.
    Anyone want to hook up for a little lift served, midwest style?
    im from michigan but didnt get into the bike scene until moving to colorado. How is the terrain at boyne? Is it worth bringing a rig when i make to trip to visit the family?
    -=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 Demo 8.II Highlighter Yellow
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

mtbr member
    Now THAT is weird.
    How could I quote your post and get it in before you?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    bring your enduro. The lift served is worth it because it's lift served, but some of the best trail riding I've ever done is within 10 miles of Boyne. The trail network off the back of boyne is worth it in and of itself. With 2.5 tires a 5-6" bike does great on the lift served stuff. It's mostly sand and loam, so no worries about rock gardens or needing the double clamp. That being said, the trails are pretty fast, and an 8" bike doesn't feel out of place either. I ride the 8" bike when I can bring two rigs up with me, and the 6" bike when I can just bring one. I should be in harbor springs when you guys will be up, and will be happy to show you around the local trails.
    H

mtbr member
    That'd be very cool. I was planning on bringing the 7" Opus Nelson and the Uzzi.
    Unless I'm in the mood for serious uphill work (Naa, don't think so) that should get me as multi-purpose as I need.

mtbr member
    Hmm, always wanted to check that out since my parents live there. May have to make the pilgrimage back home and ride with you guys, especially since my dad's b-day is the 7th so good reason to go visit! Probably rent a bike tho, cost $$'s to fly your bike these days! High Gear renting any good bikes?

Cheers,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    I've heard it's best to not list it as a bike. Hell, break it down, box it up, and say it's a tuba.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    high gear may or may not have good bikes, but they had plenty of attitude last time I was there....

Boyne rents out a full sized run fleet of Cannondale motos 160mm float rp3 in teh back, 160mm domain in the front, for like 30 a day or something? Good, reliable bikes for the terrain up there, lift or pedal access. If you are under 190lb and come up on a weekend in the summer, I can probably get you on a bike. I have just as much fun there on my remedy as on my Sunday. You could ride one of my rigs. I should also have my micro DH loaner rig pieced back together by then...trailking SS, set up single speed, 120mm travel, 65-66ha, you are welcome to ride.

mtbr member
    Don't camp you can stay at the resort for cheep (around $100 a night in the Bartley House) then your lift tickets are included w/ the room. The rooms are big enough to fit 3-4 guys so it ends up being around $25-$35 a night. Where are you coming from? theirs a group of us coming up at the beginning of June from Chicago.
    1ST RATE Earnest Borgnine-Ethel Merman erotic nudes!óDANGó Ethel was WAY hairier

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dankist4x4 View Post
    Don't camp you can stay at the resort for cheep (around $100 a night in the Bartley House) then your lift tickets are included w/ the room. The rooms are big enough to fit 3-4 guys so it ends up being around $25-$35 a night. Where are you coming from? theirs a group of us coming up at the beginning of June from Chicago.
    NW Indiana. Will def check out the lodging.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
    high gear may or may not have good bikes, but they had plenty of attitude last time I was there....

Boyne rents out a full sized run fleet of Cannondale motos 160mm float rp3 in teh back, 160mm domain in the front, for like 30 a day or something? Good, reliable bikes for the terrain up there, lift or pedal access. If you are under 190lb and come up on a weekend in the summer, I can probably get you on a bike. I have just as much fun there on my remedy as on my Sunday. You could ride one of my rigs. I should also have my micro DH loaner rig pieced back together by then...trailking SS, set up single speed, 120mm travel, 65-66ha, you are welcome to ride.
    That would be sweet!

Thanks,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Stand back
    Dunno if it's worth the trip if you're mostly going for resort riding, but there is some great trail riding on the North Country Trail, which runs all the way through the west side of the state. I've been in CO for 15 years now, but one of my favorite trails is still the stretch of the NCT by White Cloud (an hour or so northwest of Grand Rapids). That section is definitely not dh/ fr, but it is 9 miles of roller coaster-y singletrack goodness through tight trees. Ridden as an out and back, 18 miles total, done in 1.5 hours. The sections near Boyne have more climbing and more roots, but still pretty smooth by CO standards.

Which reminds me, I gotta figure out my bike situation for our trip to NW MI this summer, too. Please report back on rental options if any of you ending up going that route.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    dbauser,

Depends where you are in NW MI. My buddy is running the currently-in-development bike park at crystal mountain. He is a die hard rider who will do literally anything in his power for you to have fun. I know they are getting kona rentals at crystal, will be running the chairlifts, and are cutting as many new runs as they speak. While the resort stuff won't be much to start, the trails around Arcadia are some of the best, and Chris will help you sort things out. Check him out at BikelabTC for contact info.
    Lemme know if you need anything else
    Hunter

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've been looking forward to Boyne all winter! Me and a friend are planning on going at some point this summer but he's more into XC and don't think he wants to do it as much as I do. I'd like to at least meet up with some people who know what they're doing. I just built my first real bike, 2008 Enduro, love it but never rode it on anything like Boyne. I'm real interested in when this trip is.

mtbr member
    Dates are nailed down; July 6-8.

mtbr member
    A couple of us have booked rooms at the Bartley House.
    Great prices, $260 for two nights. By staying at Boyne you also get free lift tickets ($25/day/person)
    Rooms are still avail but that IS the weekend after the fourth so you might want to book soon if interested.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Sorry to jump into this thread but I wanted to know how Boyne is to ride? Feature and trail style wise.

mtbr member
    Those that have ridden it can chime in but there is a video on the page linked on post #2 above.

mtbr member
    Cool, I know it's still early but was hoping to get an idea of how many are planning to come.
    Not looking for commitments but if you're planning/hoping to come out for this, post up.
    So far we have four riders (2 DHers/2 XCers) 100% committed (lodging reserved).
    Anyone else?

mtbr member
    Well, it's a couple weeks away.
    Who's in?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Couple quick self-shot clips from last season to show ya what the terrain was like.

The trail edit is pretty representative of the all mountain riding...nice long descents like that, and pretty mellow slogs up. IMHO, some of the most fun trails in the midwest are in this area.

The mortician and last run clips were from boyne highlands. The trails are much faster now, with bigger holes, rocks and braking bumps. I had a totem on my bike at the time with a medium spring and the compression about a quarter in and I used alot of the travel. I'm 170lb. At that pace, the runs are 4-5 minutes long, and the ride up is about twice that. It's really not a bad ratio, and gives you plenty of time to chat, slam a beer, or get safe on the way up. Following my friend who is a gravity east racer, the runs are about 3 minutes at race pace. Fast is really the name of the game up here. There is nothing gnar, since it's all glacial sand deposits, they're isn't much in the way of rocks. The trees are widely spaced, and you can let go of the brakes and let'er go. The soil is really loose, so expect full on two-wheel drifting and roost. If you are lucky enough to ride it the day after a hard rain, it's like a totally different place since you can actually get some traction in the turns, and it gets real fast. I'm trying everything I can to get up there and show you guys around.
    H

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/26142743" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/26142743">4th of July trail bike edit</a>

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/28090374" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/28090374">

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/27033406" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/27033406">Last Run Of The Day at Highlands DH</a>

mtbr member
    Thanks 300, nice vids

BTW, is anyone planning to bring wives/gfs?
    My wife is coming. She's a beginner rider so will be staying on the XC trails.

mtbr member
    Couldn't pull it off that weekend but hope to ride later in the summer. I'll be in touch 300hp!

Have FUN!

G

mtbr member
    Wow, epic riding this weekend. Weather was perfect and trails were soft but fast.
    One glitch; you know how the last ski run is the one you get hurt on? Well, this was like blowing out your knee when skidding to a stop at the bottom of the last run.

Last run of the weekend; Taking Shock down to Isis, feeling good, just railing it. Get set up for the exit drop to the ramp and...

...clipped a tree with the bars, hit the next tree, pounded into the ground, tossed over the edge and dropped on my back on the corner of the ramp.

Going for X-rays in 20 minutes.

Got POV video, though

mtbr member
    Ouch, hope you're okay - healing vibes sent! Glad you guys had a good time.

G

Stand back
    Ditto that. I clipped a tree with my bars once while in the air, and I think it's the hardest and fastest I've ever gone down.
    I didn't make it to Highlands on this trip, but on a borrowed Cannondale hardtail circa 1998, it's probably just as well. Boyne Mtn was closer, and has some fun trails, but only once did I want for more than 2.5" of travel that the headshock offered. I was surprised that we ended up with nearly 1300 vert feet of climb by the time we were done.
    Golden Bike Park

mtbr member
    X-rays were negative, nothing broken so my season goes on (painfully, but on).
    Here is the video of the last run:
    Crash at the exit of ISIS at Boyn Highlands Video - Pinkbike

Now edited
    I've got a couple more videos of these trails in my Pinkbike Video section.
    Last edited by roxtar; 08-07-2012 at 09:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm staying in the Traverse City area for business until Thursday. I will be going to the vasa trail; can anyone recommend other area trails? I wouldnt be able to get to Boyne Mtn until 5, not sure if they are open that late.

If anyone can chime in, any recommendations would be much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by havoc531 View Post
    I'm staying in the Traverse City area for business until Thursday. I will be going to the vasa trail; can anyone recommend other area trails? I wouldnt be able to get to Boyne Mtn until 5, not sure if they are open that late.

Pretty sure the lifts are only running Friday through Sunday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It just so happens there is a great dh/fr trail network and a crew of dedicated riders in traverse city. check your PMs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by havoc531 View Post

One other thing. If it's the lift served FR trails you want, you have to go to Boyne Highlands, not Boyne Mountain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the info 300hp. I will check out copper ridge. Between the beer (I am also a home brewer) and the biking... not sure if I want to go back to Chicago. If you happen to be at right brain tonight, it would be my pleasure to buy you a beer! PM me if that owuld work

TC rocks

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    haha I feel you man. I'm in grad school in Ann Arbor right now, so I don't have as much fun as I used to. I spent the last two seasons doing a joint NPS/EPA fisheries study on the sleeping bear lakeshore....it was awesome. Check out Shorts brew in bellaire if you have a car up there, if beer is what you are into. It's probably my favorite place to chill and have a beer, such a good feel to it, and awesome product.

I know what you mean about TC. It's actually my top place to try and live/raise a family after I take the bar.

The local in town ski hill does a 7 race tuesday night downhill or grass slalom beer league. It's 5 bucks a session, how cool is that?

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
    Check out Shorts brew in bellaire if you have a car up there, if beer is what you are into. It's probably my favorite place to chill and have a beer, such a good feel to it, and awesome product.
    +1 on Short's brewery - well worth the drive.
    Golden Bike Park

Members who have read this thread: 0