Medium or Large 2011 Specialized SX Trail 1?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Medium or Large 2011 Specialized SX Trail 1?

So I've got a bit of a dillemma. I ordered a size large 2011 SX trail 1 from my local shop, however it appears they may not be able to get it for me after all, because Specialized is soo competent at producing what they sell. As it turns out my shop has a size medium in stock though. I'm 5' 11 1/2", so I'm right on the brink of their recommended sizing for the bike. Large is recommended for people 6'0 and above. The Medium doesn't feel exactly small by any means. However I felt like the extra 23mm of wheelbase on the large would make it that much more downhill capable, also the 550lb spring it comes with would make it be able to handle a little gnarlier terrain. Also the seat post area being a little higher on the large would make it pedal a little better. Seeing as this will be my one bike to do it all, I I felt like a large would be better for downhill due to the wheelbase and spring. Also it would be better for trails because it would sit a little higher, and pedal better. I guess the medium would be a little better for urban riding, and jumping, but I don't do tricks, so in a sense wouldn't a bigger wheelbase be better for jumps? I'm not too sure how important this is but I only weigh roughly 155lbs, so maybe a 550lb spring would be too much for me? The medium comes with a 500lb one. Let me know which one you think I should go for. Here is a link to the geometry. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

troubled economist
    IMO, if you're really gonna pedal it, and not just shuttle it, get the Large.

If not, get the Medium.
    dig...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I do plan on riding plenty of trails without lift access, and even just using it as transportation around town. So with that in mind, I agree with you. The large just makes more sense because it will be more comfortable to pedal. In effect it's pedaling efficiency would even be higher, because my legs have more room to extend. Also, I wouldn't have to crank the seat up so high to have it feel comfortable to pedal either.

mtbr member
    I have and 09 Med and it fits me well i think (I am 5 10"). It does have a slightly smaller feel to it and that is what I wanted. I would get exactly what you want if you are going to spend that much $$. Fox springs are not very expensive ($40.00 from Fox) and you could have an extra to swap from DH to street/DJ. I run a 600LB spring on mine and I am 190Lbs W/O gear which feels pretty plush. If you really want a large then thats what I would get and you will be very happy. The SX trail is a great bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have an 09 medium and I'm the same height as you. I use it for shuttling and pedaling and it's a good size for both.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the input guys. I beleive the 09's are actually smaller on the whole because they no longer run an XL in 2011. In this sense it seems like the medium wouldn't be a bad choice. I really wonder what spring rate is correct for downhill/ but also a lot of freeride considering I'm only 155lbs.

Capricious youth...
    I had a 2010 SX Trail. I'm 6 feet tall, and the Large almost seemed cramped on longer than 20-30 minute climbs. I did a few rides on it where the climbing was mostly fire road, but into the 1 hour range. My back hurt, and the bike wandered with the short stem.

But that's just me. Just know that the cockpits run really small on those frames.
    Meh.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    I have a Large 2010. I am 6'3", and it fits me like a glove.
    It certainly isn't a climbing bike, so any uphill is going to come at a cost, but with a proper-length post and good leg extension you can climb on it, albeit much slower than the lycra-clad animals. It all comes down to how much you're willing to suffer, to get a very capable downhill bike to the top of that rad trail.

At 155, you will certainly need a spring that is much lighter than what comes stock on the Large. I am about 195, and the 550lbs spring works pretty well for rocky DH stuff, for smoother jumpy stuff i have a 600.

T.W.O
    Medium for sure.

Now with More Wood
    When I recently switched frames on my do-it-all bike, I effectively went up one size in TT length (also slacker HA at the same time, those 2 factors combined made for a significant increase in wheelbase)). I was after better DH performance, and something slightly more comfortable to pedal around. I was a bit worried about loosing out on the fun factor on tighter FR trails and jumps. Turns out it was a really good move. I did love the short TT on my previous bike, it made jumps/drops very easy to deal with, but adjusting to a longer frame was not problematic at all. And I'm loving the extra stability for DH (and pedalling around trails).

So that would suggest you should stick with your original idea, for they way you describe your riding it is the right thing to do.

However, checking the numbers, my size L frame for this year has geo numbers very close to the MEDIUM SX T ...and I'm 6.0...soooooo......

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm the same height as you and have a medium sx trail and it is great for downhill for me. I put a 550 spring on it (i'm 180lbs).

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Word, I feel like with my weight 500lb spring would do it. Although a little stiffer spring I feel like could handle harder bigger drops, ie it wont bottom out, and pedal better? ^Prettym, what do you mean by wandered? Also, ^iceman, just curious what kind of bike do you have? One other thing to consider may be leg length? Is there a general measurement for inseam or something that I could partially base my decision on? According to one website the 2011 M is a 17-19inch frame, and the large is considered 19-21inch frame...It doesn't make much sense to me how one frame could have a range like that. And I know this is a dumb question, but what exactly does that # mean?

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamato
    ...Also, ^iceman, just curious what kind of bike do you have?...
    Morewood Zama, more info here (and pics! ):

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=697819

Members who have read this thread: 0