Maxxis Minion DHF 3C in the front with crappy tires in the rear?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Maxxis Minion DHF 3C in the front with crappy tires in the rear?

I'm running a crappy Kenda Nevengal in the rear and a crappy Kenda Blue Groove up front (came stock on the bike) and I want to switch to Maxxis Minion DHF front and rear to increase traction.

I was thinking about running a 3C in the front and a 60A in the rear, but I was wondering if my traction would still improve if I just went to the Minion in front and ran the Kenda's out back until I wore them out? Or should I upgrade both front and rear?

Stand back
    Depends on whether you want to stop or not. I like swapping front and rear at the same time so the front is always at least as grippy as the rear.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Minions in front will change your life.
    Do it.
    Run the Kenda in back till it dies.
    DHF front and rear is a good way to go for many soil conditions and riding styles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah, the Kenda's still have a lot of life on them...prob 75% tread, they just don't hook up well in corners. I'm all over the place. I've read some pretty bad reviews on them so I'm ready to ditch them asap...and so many people recommend upgrades to DHF's.

Thanks Norman, I'll start with the DHF's up front and see how much of a difference it makes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The best place for the Kendas is in the trash. You will not regret running Minions. High Rollers are pretty good for the rear as well.

mtbr member
    The new Kendra Nevengals are good tires. That said they are not as good as Maxxis DHF. Run the Minion DHF in front and the Nevengal in the rear. I ran a Minion DHF front 42 and it lasted the whole year fro me. If I ran Minion DHF 42 front as a rear tire; it would have lasted a few weekends.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Do it.
    DHF front and rear is a good way to go for many soil conditions and riding styles.
    This! And do the Peaty cut for the Nev on the rear for better corner bite. Doesn't really matter much what you use for a rear when you run a DHF up front.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by kazlx View Post
    The best place for the Kendas is in the trash. You will not regret running Minions. High Rollers are pretty good for the rear as well.
    +1 on th above! I'm running a DHF on th ft & a high roller in th bk & I love it.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Do it.
    def agree

I run my freeride bike with DHF 2ply 3C front 60A rear and it is awesome.

I run my trailbike with the DHF 1ply Front with different tires on the rear. Also great

really helps cornering.

mtbr member
    If you can afford a new rear tire too, I'd recommend you replace the nevegal with a High Roller II in 60 compound (maxxpro).

Not a fan of the Nevegals in general, although they work for some people.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
    If you can afford a new rear tire too, I'd recommend you replace the nevegal with a High Roller II in 60 compound (maxxpro).

Yeah, I def can, I'd just hate to throw away a tire with so much life left on it. But these things ride so poorly that it looks like that'll be the only way to go.

I guess the question is now whether to go with the High Roller II's or DH 60a's in the rear?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I would prefer the HRII but the regular ones are fine because I can usually get them cheap on sale. Definitely not as picky on the rear tire, but still hate Kendas. For the exact reason you found out. I tried them a couple times when I started riding because they were cheap, but turns out they are always cheap and just suck. Worst tires I have ever ridden.

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post

Exactly what I did. After a month of riding the Nevy's look like they have been through hell AND bk. Don't think I'll buy anymore of the Nevy's - unless they up their efforts.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I ended up with 4 or 5 in the garage that I got on special. I ended up giving then away because I couldn't even sell them.

mtbr member
    I run a Minion Supertacky 2.35 in the front and a near bald Schwalbe Table Top in the back, great fun and good for my skills having a really grippy front tire, means I use the front brake more and drift about on the rear.

Waiting for Maxxis to get some tubless/tr Minions sorted.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lew242 View Post
    I run a Minion Supertacky 2.35 in the front and a near bald Schwalbe Table Top in the back, great fun and good for my skills having a really grippy front tire, means I use the front brake more and drift about on the rear.

Waiting for Maxxis to get some tubless/tr Minions sorted.
    Yeah that's what I"m saying. I only ride park so I don't mind drifting in corners as long as the front bites. I've seen guys at Highland running DH tires and a Holy Roller in the rear. I'm assuming because it rolls faster in the jump lines.