Maxxis Ardents- Mtbr.com

Thread: Maxxis Ardents

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Maxxis Ardents

Any of you have any ride time on maxxis ardents? They've been out long enough that I feel like somebody should have some time on them at this point, any takers? wondering about the dual ply 2.4 version for rocky/fast DH use. Fast rolling and slightly loose over hardpack is what I'm looking for. I just picked up some high rollers (been running minions, but they roll too slow) and I'm a huge maxxis fan, but if I don't like the high rollers I may pick up some ardents.

Any reviewers? I'm wondering how they compare to minions in terms of cornering in some slightly lose over hardpack and rolling speed. My main complaint with the minions is they roll too slow. I think the high rollers should do the trick, but still interested to see what people think.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Myself and three of my riding buddies all rock the 2.4 Advantages. Those are sweet tires. They hook up real well and roll fast. They are supposedly aggressive cross country tires, but we use them for dh/fr type stuff on a Coiler, Stinky, and Turner 6-Pack respectively.

I love the Ardents...run the 2.6 front and 3C 2.4 on the rear. They are pretty light for a DH tire and they roll very well.

My Ardent Review
    Last edited by RSutton1223; 10-23-2008 at 01:08 PM.

Urban Ninja

My review

Long version: I bought an Ardent at Whistler this year when my tire got cut cause they were out of High Rollers. It hooks up at Whistler just as good as the High Roller but then again so does most tires in that soil. I also used it at Northstar and it worked good there too. I was using it on the front though. Looks like it would roll better than the High Roller because it has closer knobs in the center. Smaller and more knobs on the side should hook up because there are more working edges but they will also fold over easier and come off easier.

Short version: They seem to work.

sixsixtysix
    I have been running them for the last couple months. Hands down my favorite tire at the moment.

Couple words of advice. Don't ride them like any other tire you have ever ridden, if you do, you will end up on your a$$. You basically have to ride them "moto style".

•The center knobs are very very very fast rolling. Let go of the brakes and they take off.
    •The mid/transitional knobs, well, they are non-existent and they are about where a Minion "bites" at. So if you think thats where your traction is, you're screwed.
    •The outter knobs will bite, as long as you have the bike laid over far enough for them too.

The profile of the tire is much more round than the Minion or High Roller.

They ride great on rocks and hardpack, but in the sandy loose stuff they can be a little tricky until you get used to them. That being said, I ride them in Arizona where all we really have is rocks and sand and I love them. They force you to ride more aggressive and reward you with what is basically velcro for traction.

FYI, the 2.6 is the same as a 2.7 Minion, the 2.4 is the same as a 2.5 Minion. Maxxis is finally measuring their casing, rather than the knobs.

mtbr member
    test ride only. was thinking about getting them myself.
    very fast rolling---

not so good on the braking but it may have been the bike and the way it was set up.
    Maybe l should have given them more ride time, fiddle with air pressure and whatnot.

l know l can l can stop on a dime with Kenda NavEgals (ok, they are sticky)

no doubt - fast rolling

my 2 cents
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker662
    Myself and three of my riding buddies all rock the 2.4 Advantages. Those are sweet tires. They hook up real well and roll fast. They are supposedly aggressive cross country tires, but we use them for dh/fr type stuff on a Coiler, Stinky, and Turner 6-Pack respectively.
    thanks, but i'm not really very interested in the advantages. I have two sets of them already. Mostly worried about the ardents :-P

thanks for the feedback guys, very interesting to know, we'll have to see how I like these minions, I'm a well known tire whore.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    thanks, but i'm not really very interested in the advantages. I have two sets of them already. Mostly worried about the ardents :-P

thanks for the feedback guys, very interesting to know, we'll have to see how I like these minions, I'm a well known tire whore.
    I have ridden many many tires, and am pretty finicky about my setup, basically I can break Maxxis tires down like:

Maxxis High Roller: Slow rolling, but good all around tire, first tire I recommend to lazy riders. Very predictable, hook up in most situations. No real "dead spot" where they get squirrelly. Transitions well from center to side without rider commitment.

Maxxis Minion: Good rolling, good tread pattern, great DH tire, require a little more finesse, but are still predictable once you find their sweet spot. Transitional knobs are a little smaller than the High Roller, but still ample enough to save you late into a corner.

Maxxis Ardent: Scary fast, minimal tread pattern, great racing tire. Require you to drift your turns or turn early. These tires will not save you if you are late into a corner. Center knobs grip and roll well, transition point is scary and the tire will drift until you make the commitment to get over on the side where it will grab and shoot you out of the corner.

Pick your poison, if you ride aggressive you will love the Ardent, but don't make your judgements about them after the first ride coming off a pair of Minions. I would recommend running them both front and rear, they seem to feel much more matched that way.

Its got what plants crave
    I wish they'd make a tubeless Ardent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I wish they'd make a tubeless Ardent.
    X2!!!

toby

sixsixtysix
    I have run my Ardents tubeless on 823's since day one. Just use 2 cups of Stans with them and you're golden, never had a problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    I have ridden many many tires, and am pretty finicky about my setup, basically I can break Maxxis tires down like:

Maxxis High Roller: Slow rolling, but good all around tire, first tire I recommend to lazy riders. Very predictable, hook up in most situations. No real "dead spot" where they get squirrelly. Transitions well from center to side without rider commitment.

Maxxis Minion: Good rolling, good tread pattern, great DH tire, require a little more finesse, but are still predictable once you find their sweet spot. Transitional knobs are a little smaller than the High Roller, but still ample enough to save you late into a corner.

Maxxis Ardent: Scary fast, minimal tread pattern, great racing tire. Require you to drift your turns or turn early. These tires will not save you if you are late into a corner. Center knobs grip and roll well, transition point is scary and the tire will drift until you make the commitment to get over on the side where it will grab and shoot you out of the corner.

Pick your poison, if you ride aggressive you will love the Ardent, but don't make your judgements about them after the first ride coming off a pair of Minions. I would recommend running them both front and rear, they seem to feel much more matched that way.

crap, so you're saying the high rollers ride slower then minions? based on your description, I guess I'll be picking up a set of ardents :-P

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    crap, so you're saying the high rollers ride slower then minions? based on your description, I guess I'll be picking up a set of ardents :-P
    Yeah, High Rollers feel like Nevegals to me, they grip great, but feel like it takes extra work to get them rolling.

mtbr member
    I have run my Ardents tubeless on 823's since day one. Just use 2 cups of Stans with them and you're golden, never had a problem.
    That's good to know. Anyone run them on DT Swiss EX 5.1D with rim strips tubless?

I've had the 2.6/2.4 dual ply 3C combo on my new bike for 3-4 weeks now and would agree with the assessment given by the others. Quiet and fast rolling on slick rock and hard pack, good corning... although I didn't notice any sketchiness in the transition to the outer knobs like some. They don't dig in on loose climbs like a Nev or Kenda Kinetics but considering the tall closely spaced center knobs they hook up for climbing and braking better than I would expect just looking at them.

They also have a nice strong sidewall that feels bomb-proof in the rocks and loose chunder at speed and the rebound/durometer of the sidewall rubber is just right for absorbing but not bouncing off/deflecting over square rocks/roots at slower speeds. For instance the Kenda Blue Groove almost feels too dead and the Schwalbe Big Betty is too bouncy/lively.... Ardents = just right. This is a really important characteristic in the slow tech that I love.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

N/A
    Feb 2004

Hey 666, any time on an Advantage 2.4? I think it has great cornering grip as a front tire and also rolls fast, but the angled center knobs tend to break traction and spin out for me on techy Somo climbs. I'm thinking of picking up an Ardent for the rear and keeping the Advantage up front.

mtbr member
    Couple words of advice. Don't ride them like any other tire you have ever ridden, if you do, you will end up on your a$$. You basically have to ride them "moto style".
    This is so true.

I came off Minions, tried the Ardent's - hated them.
    Sixty convinced me to give them another shot.
    After a few more runs, I fell in love with them. You can't get lazy or they will wash out. They need to be leaned waaay over to get them to hook up, but they drift very predictably. I rode a local trail way faster on these than on my Minions, especially through berms.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkaz
    Hey 666, any time on an Advantage 2.4? I think it has great cornering grip as a front tire and also rolls fast, but the angled center knobs tend to break traction and spin out for me on techy Somo climbs. I'm thinking of picking up an Ardent for the rear and keeping the Advantage up front.

No, I don't have any time on the Advantage. I was interested in them when they came out, but they only make a single ply casing and I don't have very good luck on SoMo with single ply's as they tend to get cuts in the sidewalls pretty easily out there.

mtbr member
    did anyone try the Ardents and also had a pair of the Kenda Telonix(Hans Rey version)???

I have the telonix right now and i think i wanna try the ardents next.

mtbr member
    Ardents are great in soft dirt/wetish soil but I didn't life them that much in really dry stuff as I did my old DH16's. They roll WAY better though.

Pivotal figure
    I really dig the Ardent 2.4 as a front tire, haven't gotten much ride time with one on back though (tried a 3C when they first came out; worked great but got shredded pretty quickly). The cool thing I like is that they really suit my cornering style; somewhat aggressive vs finesse. They even manage to hookup in really scrabbly sections where you have broken shale on top of larger unbroken pieces. Not sure how they do it but it's cool. Also in AZ BTW
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    (tried a 3C when they first came out; worked great but got shredded pretty quickly).
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the 3C Ardents on my bike, especially the rear, seem to be wearing pretty fast. The center row of knobs is already worn down quite a bit and some of the side knobs are starting to chunk. Kinda disappointing for just 3 weeks...... The 2.4 Big Betty triple comps, on the other hand, hardly look any different from new even after 3 months. Granted, they haven't spent a week at Boulder City and Moab like the Ardents did.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Members who have read this thread: 0