Mavic XC 717 for light freeride?- Mtbr.com
    I live to bike

New question here. Mavic XC 717 for light freeride?

I am looking into getting some lighter wheels for XC racing, but want to still do a little freeriding. Biggest drop would be 4-6 feet. Would these rims do okay? Thanks

Jm.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle
    I am looking into getting some lighter wheels for XC racing, but want to still do a little freeriding. Biggest drop would be 4-6 feet. Would these rims do okay? Thanks
    no, see my post in wheels.

TNC
    noMAD man

Yeah, Mavic's new designations are interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    no, see my post in wheels.
    At our shop, we hadn't received our dealer package yet with the new numbers. I needed to order a pre-built wheel from QBP, so I contacted Mavic. At least for these 3 popular rims, here are some numbers. The old 517 XC rim is now an XC717. The old F219 freeride rim is now an XM321. The old 321 DH rim is now an EX729. I thought the 321 and F219 switch was kind of dumb by using the previous 321 designation for the new F219. Their letter designation seems to have some logic, however. The "XC" is obvious. The "XM" is for cross mountain. The "EX" is for extreme. Oh well...I'm sure we'll get the hang of it. For light freeride, I'd go with the XM321. I ordered one laced to an XT disc rear hub with 14/15 spokes.

Jm.

Jan 2004
    the old 519 is now the 719...i just bought these and built them up.

I don't keep up on the numbers at all, especially since they the only thing that has changed.

mtbr member
    Light freeride-nope, light xc-yes.

I live to bike

719 / 819

Thanks for the help, guys. I will pass up on the 717s and go for the 819s -- they are the same as the 719s, but tubeless, I believe.

Jm.

Jan 2004
    yep, and about 100 grams heavier.

edit, oops,i was thinking of the 821 or something...i dont know these stupid numbers yet. The 319 was disc version of the 519, and quite a bit heavier, it has a new designation now...and i have no idea what it is...
    Last edited by Jm.; 04-02-2004 at 01:48 PM.

mtbr member

Just built up some

I just finished a set of 823's on CK hubs, came together beautifully. The 823's are even a bit heavier and wider than the 819's (which I think are the former 3.1 rims). I had some difficulty squaring what QBP had for spoke length compared to mavic, but I went with QBP and it worked fine.

Think about the 823's as well, wider and tougher.

I already rode that
    Either get 2 sets of wheels and use one for racing and the other for training/light freeriding.
    I used 517's for drops upto 4 feet and havent killed them yet. 5 feet...Sure I'd still use them , 6 feet... I dont know how long they would last then . I would guess it depends on how you land and just what type of rider you are.