Which Mavic rim to Choose- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Which Mavic rim to Choose

Hello all! I am getting ready to have a set of wheels built up for my Blitz and was wondering which mavic rim gives the best weight to strength ratio for freeride, EX 823, EX, 729, or the EX 721. These will be paired with Hope Pro 2 hubs. Thanks guys!

Dan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chibow
    Hello all! I am getting ready to have a set of wheels built up for my Blitz and was wondering which mavic rim gives the best weight to strength ratio for freeride, EX 823, EX, 729, or the EX 721. These will be paired with Hope Pro 2 hubs. Thanks guys!

Dan
    Right now for my blur 4x, im running the 06 721's laced to hope pro 2's I would say go for the 729 its a lil bit stronger than the 721 but its still reletively light. (ps- the rear hub is incredibly loud for outta the box)

No Fear!
    Quote Originally Posted by f0ggy
    I would say go for the 729 its a lil bit stronger than the 721 but its still reletively light. (ps- the rear hub is incredibly loud for outta the box)
    The 721's are supposed to be as strong as the 729's,they dont get flat spots as easy and are lighter.

-> SickLines.com <-
    729's are going to have a wider profile and will put more tire on the ground (will make the tire have a flatter profile). It should add some stability as well. 721's are plenty strong as are 729's you just gotta decide if you want a wider rim. What are you running right now for rims/tires?

mtbr member
    ......729's
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    729's are going to have a wider profile and will put more tire on the ground (will make the tire have a flatter profile). It should add some stability as well. 721's are plenty strong as are 729's you just gotta decide if you want a wider rim. What are you running right now for rims/tires?
    Well last season I was runnign IRC Kujo's 2.65 front and 2.35 rear but this season I plan on runninf 2.5 front and 2.3-2.35 rear...as for the rims my curretn rims are Mavic D3.1 (which I think are the same as the EX823)
    Last edited by chibow; 01-10-2007 at 10:01 AM.

Local Paperboy Hero
    721s if you're not a hack

Glad to Be Alive
    all rims weigh about the same, so you can't go wrong

823 if you want to go tubeless
    721 about the same as a 823 but not tubeless

729 widest (do you really need it that wide-probably not)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Well I guess I will go with the EX823 as I have had really good success with the D3.1 in the past not that I need UST just perfer the option.

Thanks guys!
    Dan

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by chibow
    Well I guess I will go with the EX823 as I have had really good success with the D3.1 in the past not that I need UST just perfer the option.

Thanks guys!
    Dan
    if you didn't know the 823 is the newer, stronger version of the D3.1
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Rocket Scientist
    Mar 2005
    Does anyone know if the '05 EX823 is any different than the '07 EX823, besides stickers? Thx

-> SickLines.com <-
    one of those years (04 / 05) had a weak sidewall of some sort (they've got a ridge on the side i think).

Rocket Scientist
    Mar 2005

Looks like the '07 model is like the '05.
    I got Saint hubs laced to Rhyno lites from Jenson. I am thinking of mounting '05 ex823 rims and running Maxxis DH tires. Good idea?

Rider of the Faith
    Are the 823`s stronger than the 729`s ? Mine got banged up and now im looking for a stronger rim.

No Fear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Musashi
    Are the 823`s stronger than the 729`s ? Mine got banged up and now im looking for a stronger rim.

That could be due to low psi or your tyre or something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    all rims weigh about the same, so you can't go wrong

823 if you want to go tubeless
    721 about the same as a 823 but not tubeless

729 widest (do you really need it that wide-probably not)

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????

difference between a set of 823s and 721s is about 300 grams. This weight is at almost THE farthest from the center of rotation of the two parts that rotate the fastest on a bike.....

Translation..the weight of a rim (or tire) makes a HUGE difference in how quick a bike is/feels.

show me some other place where you can loose 3/4 of a pound of rotating mass (about equal in feel to 10 lbs of frame weight) without loosing any durability AND actually saving $$......

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    When I first got my second hand bike with 729's on it, it had about half a dozen dint's identical to the ones Musashi posted, I **** myself. I was heading off to the National Champs the next week and was dreading building having to build up a new wheel half way through the event. I lost count of how many runs it did that week, on a pretty dam rough track, lowish pressures, and I also tend to be abit of a plow But those dents didn't move one bit in the whole week, and thats when I was sold on the 729/721 rims.

Today I've owned a set of 729's and 2 sets of 721's. The First 721's were laced to hadley's, and after a whole season I had a minor dint in he front. Now I've got another set of 721's laced to Pro 2's (Incredible sound ) for my hardtail and there going strong aswell.

The Point of this overly long post - 721's then 729's or 823's if you want Tubless

Happy Trails.

PULL
    How wide is the 823 compared to the 729?

I have 729's right now and love the contact patch it gives... how do the 823's compare?

Looking to build up another set of hadleys here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The 729 has a 29mm interior width and the 823 has a 23mm interior width....

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by davep
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????

show me some other place where you can loose 3/4 of a pound of rotating mass (about equal in feel to 10 lbs of frame weight) without loosing any durability AND actually saving $$......
    question to ponder.......how much does tubes weigh

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    not to mention rim tape.

Members who have read this thread: 0