Mavic EX721 vs EX729- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Mavic EX721 vs EX729

Hey All!

Which one of these rime is the better choice for mostly freeride but some downhill?

Also give a reason for your choice please!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

721 is more of a light weight rim

actually really cant go too wrong with either. depends how heavy you are and how hard your riding.

mtbr member
    I went with the 729's because I am a clyde and everyone I talk to said that they were all but unbreakable. That and they are a SMOKIN' deal at Jenson right now. Wheelset with the 20mm TA front and XT765 rear for $149! I figured the worst case I just relace the front with a better hub if needed. So far they have been great though. Super stiff.
    Beer, a Pork Chop in every can!

Capricious youth...
    I went with 721's laced to King hubs because I'm 165 soaking wet.

But... I do do big things. Oddly enough, I run 729's on my trail bike because there's not as much suspension to soak up the hard knocks... whereas my DH/FR bike has a little more give so the 721's are more appropriate.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks guys!

I also dont think I can go wrong with either one. I think Im gonna go with the 729s

J'aime le Dunkeld
    Go 721. Despite the 729 being meatier, they dent a lot easier, and after denting they crack.

Calm Like a Bomb
    ^^^^

really?...i found the 721s dent a bit easier than the 729s, kind of like a dt rim...i prefer 823s myself
    Last edited by pipes10; 11-25-2008 at 04:53 PM.
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

Ride fun
    Oct 2008
    i never ride with 721, but they are lighter, i use the 729 with my bike, and they have some bad scratches, and some hits, but they still hang on.
    You build it, you change it, freeriding, whatever you want.

Ideas Above My Station...
    My 729's have survived some serious crashes and half-assed riding on my bike. Bomb-proof in my experience, great tire profile with 2.5's too!
    Its All Downhill From Here....!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange-Goblin
    My 729's have survived some serious crashes and half-assed riding on my bike. Bomb-proof in my experience, great tire profile with 2.5's too!
    I have heard tons of people say the same thing, when it came down to it that is why I made my choice for 729's, bomb-proof. Look at the reviews here in MTBR, lots of people saying the same thing.
    Beer, a Pork Chop in every can!

Roll on Spring Time!
    What majority of MTBR posts agree on is WORD. I have based all my investments on MTBR threads and never made a bad choice yet. I have been ridin a set of outlaws but I have a set of pro 2 hubs which need a new set of rims, I am going to the ends of the earth to get a set of green spanks just to get a groovy color thing going on me ride but I know I should be looking at a set of 721/729. For durability 729 but I have fairly heavy wheelset now so 721 would be nice. I rocky = 729 in my eyes.
    I just want to ride.

Brackish
    I've got 729s on Hope hubs and they are bombproof. As a clyde that rides a ton of super rocky tech DH stuff, they've seen the sharp end since I've had them on the Dirtbag and they have never failed yet.

J'aime le Dunkeld
    Quote Originally Posted by pipes10
    ^^^^

really?...i found the 721s dent a bit easier than the 729s, kind of like a dt rim...i prefer 823s myself
    721's will dent, but you can bend them back and they'll be good to go. 729's will crack if they dent hard enough, and the crack will spread right around the rim on the ridge bit at the edge. I'll see if I have a pic somewhere

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    i've ran the 729's for 4 years... 2 on trail/freeride, and 2 on the dh bike. that was the most solid rim i have ever used. stayed true well and very little denting. i switched to the 721 this past season on the DH bike, and lots of dents and flat spots... i'm going back to the 729 next season for the durability.

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneththecurtain
    721's will dent, but you can bend them back and they'll be good to go. 729's will crack if they dent hard enough, and the crack will spread right around the rim on the ridge bit at the edge. I'll see if I have a pic somewhere
    that's why i compared 721s to dt rims as they dent and mechanically rebound the same....what i understood from your original post was that 729s were easier to dent than 721s...this had not been the case for me in the past
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

Members who have read this thread: 0