Mavic Deetrax for DH?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Mavic Deetrax for DH?

Mavic Deetrax for downhill? yes? no?

banned
    Well, considering they are DH FR wheels, than yes....duh

But also considering they're mavic hubs, hell no. not even the new ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tod Says What?!
    Well, considering they are DH FR wheels, than yes....duh

But also considering they're mavic hubs, hell no. not even the new ones.
    haha so what your saying is yaa-no?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyskills
    haha so what your saying is yaa-no?
    kinda, ive heard they were ok wheels, but id go for some Azonic Outlaws and save some money, with still a great wheelset,

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I know they are DH/FR wheels but I havent seen many around on DH bikes mostly just on DJ. So I wasnt sure if they were actually used for DH or not.

sunday
    I ran the DeeTrak front all season on my dh bike and it spins true, not dent or ding to be found. Hell, if it was clean, it could probably pass for new. Haven't had to touch a single spoke on it yet. It is on the heavy side of things though, which is my only real grip with it.

Supremely Unco-ordinated
    Haven't tried the deetraks myself, but never had a problem with any of the other mavic rims I've bought.
    Post your youtube mountain bike videos and they'll be included in our interactive World MTB video map!

Locs on Spokez
    Only downside is that they are heavy. Outlaws are awesome, I haven't had any problems with mine.
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

mtbr member
    Two of my friends used deetraks for DH for two seasons, no damage at all to the wheels. I would use them for DH it wasn't a a dork

N* Bomber Crew
    DeeTrax use a 32 hole DeeMax Hub and a EX325 Rim. The hubs are good, the rims are pretty lame.

The idea is to buy DeeTrax wheels, and if you thrash the hubs, get 32 Hole Mavic 823 Rims and you have yourself a pair of DeeMax.

It's a somewhat expensive route, but its just an option I am throwing out there.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

AKA shitbird
    I've been rocking them for about a year...holding up just fine, a little heavy though.
    JRA

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by XJman07
    Mavic Deetrax for downhill? yes? no?
    don't worry about others talking about the weight....you more then save the weight running tubeless. and a lot less hassles of flats because of with sealant you very rarely have flats

if you are worried about the the hub then get some hadley hubs and bolt them onto some mavic823's....same rim (comes in black-better color IMO)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    DeeTrax use a 32 hole DeeMax Hub and a EX325 Rim. The hubs are good, the rims are pretty lame.
    unless they changed it this year the Dee Max's are the same rim as the EX823's not the 325's
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    unless they changed it this year the Dee Max's are the same rim as the EX823's not the 325's
    He was talking about the Deetrax rim. The DeeMAX rim runs the 823s yeah, but not the Deetrax. I really have no clue what the Trax have for rims, but I know it's not an 823, just because it's drilled for nipples.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    yes deetraks, but if you can get a use Hub laced to new 823, youll save money and gain quality .. hadley hubs never failed ..

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Anyone know if that new Intense M6 will make a good race bike?

I'M A CHEAPSKATE
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    No, its aimed more at the fixie/coffee shop crowd
    dowst: Got a little cavalier with good old eBay did we?

CABDOCTOR, now available with more flava than Kool-Aid

mtbr member
    I have 2 Deetraks wheelsets. They share thesame hubs as the Deemax but uses different spokes as well as Mavic 325 rims instead of 823 rims of the Deemax.

I've got two rear hub failures in my first set and one rear hub failure in the other set on the 2 years that I've owned those. The wheels are strong but the rear hub is just crap. Once the MP3 wears out, I'm gonna purchase Hope Pro2 hubs to replace those.

Don't get them not unless it's OK for you to have downtime in waiting till Mavic fixes the rear hub.
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've had a set for a year+ and no issues with the hub

N* Bomber Crew
    I saw that DeeTrax were $400? That's not a good deal for sketch hubs...

Solution:
    Hope Pro II Hubs to Single Track Rims.

Yeah I know Single Tracks are kinda sketch, but that build will keep you under $400 I believe, and I'd like to think Single Tracks are just as good as EX325's, if not better. You get rock solid hubs anyway.

Last time I checked Single Track rims are $30 bucks a pop. At that rate, you might as well buy them for hula hoops.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Pivotal figure
    I've had weird problems with the freehubs on 2 sets of Mavic wheels including the DeeTrax. It starts making noise like it wants to seize up but only intermittently. Haven't found any good solution other than to keep putting grease in there and hope for the best...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mistereckz
    X2 on the weird and random noises (like, loud click/ping/pop). Pulled the hub apart and couldn't find any obvious problem. Pack it with grease and it goes away...only to come back.
    That being said, I haven't had any problem with the quality of the wheel build and I hammer these wheels. If I could do it over though, I would go for Hadley/? combo...Never had any problems with my Hadley!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    He was talking about the Deetrax rim. The DeeMAX rim runs the 823s yeah, but not the Deetrax. I really have no clue what the Trax have for rims, but I know it's not an 823, just because it's drilled for nipples.
    my bad......get the maxes

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    ummm....i is built for that...and it is the fastest bike...check youube vids

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by mistereckz
    X2 on the weird and random noises (like, loud click/ping/pop). Pulled the hub apart and couldn't find any obvious problem. Pack it with grease and it goes away...only to come back.
    That being said, I haven't had any problem with the quality of the wheel build and I hammer these wheels. If I could do it over though, I would go for Hadley/? combo...Never had any problems with my Hadley!

I'm not sure if it's a fair comparison to some custom built wheels. Obviously custom built is the way to go but we're talking about a pretty budget set of wheels @ 350 bucks. I like mine okay, haven't had any problems but I've only been riding them a few months. Time will tell

mtbr member
    The deetrax is a solid build. I've used one in the rear of my dj/urban bike for over a year. I have cased jumps and stairs very hard with this wheel. I only had to true it once after a particulary hard hit to a set of stairs I was bunnyhopping up. Yeah It's heavy, but I only have one. I have a singletrack in the front, originally had one in the rear. That wheel I was trueing every couple of times i rode.
    Waitin on the weekend

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    I've had weird problems with the freehubs on 2 sets of Mavic wheels including the DeeTrax. It starts making noise like it wants to seize up but only intermittently. Haven't found any good solution other than to keep putting grease in there and hope for the best...
    I've never bothered to re-grease it myself due to the MP3 that I got for both sets. Mine seized up and the weird click-poppin sound was got more and more constant before it totally seized ( no more free wheel ). I have the Saint Axle kit conversion on my first set and thought that it was the culprit but it happened to my other non-saint wheelset so I guess the hubs are just crap!

Hope Pro II's that are Saint compatible and Hope Pro II standards are the ones the I plan to replace it with once MP3 ends in August on both sets.
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

Members who have read this thread: 0