Mavic 721- Mtbr.com

Thread: Mavic 721

Big Test Icycles

Mavic 721

Anybody have any feedback on these rims? I'm building new wheels for my Stinky D. I'm thinking about Hope Pro II/ Mavic 721. I use the bike for FR and Whistler. The stock wheels are ok, Sun S-Type, I want to shed a little weight and keep a strong wheel. I am not going to be taking any 10' jumps or anything, just fast flowing Dh runs, small drops and jumps. (cant afford to break the body)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have them on my bike laced to some Hadleys, and they are great rims. Withstand anything and save you a bit of weight over other choices like 729's or whatever... Definitely go with them.

3 "fiddy" for short
    I have a wheel with a 721 and have really liked it so far. It is lighter than the 729, but if you are running bigger tires you may not like the tire profile with the narrower rim. I am using 2.35s on mine and must say that it is a very nice rim and the strength is there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by be350ka
    I have a wheel with a 721 and have really liked it so far. It is lighter than the 729, but if you are running bigger tires you may not like the tire profile with the narrower rim. I am using 2.35s on mine and must say that it is a very nice rim and the strength is there.
    I ran a 2.8 Nev for Mammoth last week on a 721 and the profile/setup in general was fine. Normally I run 2.5 Minons, both setups work well.
    I weigh 230 and don't feel like I have worry about the strength of the rims.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by GnaR9
    I ran a 2.8 Nev for Mammoth last week on a 721 and the profile/setup in general was fine. Normally I run 2.5 Minons, both setups work well.
    I weigh 230 and don't feel like I have worry about the strength of the rims.
    I hear ya. I just tend to like a flatter tire profile. That is why I just got 729s for MY R9.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I run a 721 laced to a Hadley and 2.5 rubber. Works great.

Big Test Icycles
    All good to hear because I run a 2.7 up front and a 2.5in the back..

Members who have read this thread: 0