Maui....?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Maui....?

mtbr member

Maui....?

hey guys i am going to maui for a week next month. i really dont care too much for the beach and sure in the hell dont like doing some stupid guided tours. The question is are there any good downhill spots or shuttle runs on this island that you guys have ridden or heard about?????

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There's an around 15 mile downhill and a shop nearby which rents kona stinkys and full gear, unfortunately I can't remember the name of the shop right now.

Slopestyle Rider
    Jason Sessums (a Versus rider) lives in Hawaii. I have seen some vids of him riding on the island. Pretty cool looking spots, too.

what's that rattle?
    I found Kona rentals and good directions from Crater Cycles. There's contact info in the Hawaii forum.

The off-road decent from Haleakalā is around 7000 feet of riding with decent single track and some stunts on the lower 4000.

Yay! Bikes !
    if you're willing to climb, you'll have a ton of great options.
    Page or PM Airwreck (mostly on the Turner forum) for some local info.

N* Bomber Crew
    You don't care for the beach and you're going to Maui? Uh huh....
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

UNDEAD
    Raptor dude I was thinking the same thing!

Poor guy has to be "stuck on Maui" with nothing to do....
    Must be nice.

I know some super killer secret beaches there...but you don't like beaches so I guess whenever I visit there next I can rest assured no "beach haters" would infiltrate.
    haha

But in all seriousness Maui is spectacular....riding would be awesome there but just make sure it's not private land....or it can get ugly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I don't know when you're planning in going but they have had some fires last fall in the forest where the long DH is and it might still be closed.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by snow-man

Must be nice.

I know some super killer secret beaches there...but you don't like beaches so I guess whenever I visit there next I can rest assured no "beach haters" would infiltrate.
    haha

But in all seriousness Maui is spectacular....riding would be awesome there but just make sure it's not private land....or it can get ugly.
    My favorite beach was "Sh*t Falls" Beach located near the Ritz Carlton near Kapalua. Absolutely no one there, really nice beach, just hang out and chill.

Other stuff:
    Para-Sailing is way fun. Not too expensive either.
    Black Rock near the Sharaton has a nice cliff to jump/dive or flip off of. If you have HUGE balls, there's a 60 ft. cliff jump in the BACK of the Sheraton at the end of the back parking lot. Its flipping huge, never seen anyone do it, I never did it, I pussed out.
    Snorkeling: Don't buy into the boat trips to Molakai or anything like that, just drive along the main road, pit stop it here and there and you'll usually get your best results, no tourists or anything.

I didn't do any biking at all on my 3 trips to Maui, and my most recent trip to Kauai, but you're paying so much bank just to go to Maui, stay there, eat etc. Enjoy the sights and sounds man. I love biking as much as everyone else here, but there's tons of fun stuff to do. I'm not a "beach bro" either.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    You don't care for the beach and you're going to Maui? Uh huh....
    My grandmother lives in Wailuku and we've been there ALOT the past few years. My family is always on the go...dirtbikes\offroad cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding/barefooting, etc. The first few times we did all the site seeing, beach, hiking stuff. Spend time with family is first...but we want to experiance Maui on a freeride bike....what could be better?

~~~~~~~~
    cool, let's build some trails while you're here and that way you'll have something to ride next time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by snow-man

Must be nice.

haha

I saw a lot of Hot topless chicks at a place I think is called Turtle bay or something like that? It looks out towards crater island (which is bad-ass!)

Let's just say, there's only two reasons my mind ever derails from thinking about MTB. T and A.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Dog
    I saw a lot of Hot topless chicks at a place I think is called Turtle bay or something like that? It looks out towards crater island (which is bad-ass!)

Let's just say, there's only two reasons my mind ever derails from thinking about MTB. T and A.

ive been to maui 7 times, leaving to go back for my 8th time on thursday. and ive been to that beach, just south of kihei, its the twin beachs, known as Big Beach and Little Beach, Big beach has some old WW2 bunkers that show up when the tide/sand is low, and Little Beach (climb up the hill to the left and through the trail) is a nude beach.

anyhow, check this out, i just posted the other day, I'm planning on riding this trail at some point in my stay:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=378583

my trip this time is gonna be at the northwest side of the island south of Napili, plans include, scuba trip and surfboard rental for the entire stay, other then that, tacos/poi/chicken/lotsa pork/and POG.
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

surf-ride-repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    cool, let's build some trails while you're here and that way you'll have something to ride next time.

I'm coming back next December... the trails were 'rained out' when I was there, I stopped by Crater, cool shop. My in laws house is like 1.5 miles from the Crater shop

I can dig though my brother, and I don't mind so...

~~~~~~~~
    rained out? I love rain.

Members who have read this thread: 0