Marzochhi 66 Need some opinions this ain't right! Lateral movement rocking and knock- Mtbr.com
    7am Backcountry ;- )

Upset Marzochhi 66 Need some opinions this ain't right! Lateral movement rocking and knock

After weeks of deciding on which forks to get, new front wheel, headset etc

Went for the Zocchi 66 RC2 ETA 180mm I finally built up my front end last night planning to get my long needed fix on the trails today

Got it all finished to find when applying the front brake I can rock the front of the bike - almost like I have a loose headset. Something didn't seem right the whole frontend has a flex/wobbly feel to it.

Ruled out the brakes, 20mm through axle, and headset.

The problem seems to come from this point

Looking from side-on where the fork legs enter the oil seal there is lateral movement - enough to make the fork appear to wobble when stood over the bike.

Seal as normal

After applying front brake and gently rocking bike forward I have marked in red where just below an actual small crack appears between the seal and leg. I can see the oil seals flexing when I do this.

If I put my thumb between here and apply brake and gently rock handlebars my thumb gets lightly squashed everytime the wobble occurs.

This occurs when the fork is extended fully and not compressed, not really an issue when compressed.

On a seperate issue when compressing the forks a get a loud click from the right leg everytime they start to rise up again. (this may just be a bedding in issue)

My cheapo Drop-off stocks that came with the Coiler are stiff as an anchor - can anyone with 66's do the thumb test and feedback along with any thoughts in general

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by capoz77
    My cheapo Drop-off stocks that came with the Coiler are stiff as an anchor - can anyone with 66's do the thumb test and feedback along with any thoughts in general
    It sounds like the upper bushings are out of tolerance spec. I've got several Marz forks and see none of that, I have seen it on several 05 Z1FRs though. If you search these forums you'll probably finds some posts by people complaining about those Z1s.

I've ridden a friends brand new 2007 66 RC2 ETA a couple times and didn't feel any slop, and I'm pretty sensitive to it. I find loose headsets or bushings very irritating.

run, hide, it's a bike!
    yeah dude - that sounds kind of weird - maybe try compressing the fork and tightening up the foot nuts - if that don't work you should call marz.

if you get someone on the phone you can probably get your problem solved....maybe.
    **! I'd rather sh!t out Mark Weir than watch him pedal up a hill !**

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by vexhex
    yeah dude - that sounds kind of weird - maybe try compressing the fork and tightening up the foot nuts -
    I don't that'll help because that's just the bottom attachment of the carts. Without even having the carts in the fork it shouldn't be doing what he's seeing. This is purely a stanchion/bushings/lowers fit problem.

Maybe they just forgot to install the upper bushings. It wouldn't be the first time Marz failed to install all the parts.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Bushings.

2 other checks you can do to make sure. Turn the bike upside down on the bars, and try to recreate that movement by the seals by grabbing the lowers and twisting them and also by grabbing the stanchions and trying to twist them. That should isolate it between the bushings and the crown/steerer/headset.

The next thing I would do would be to just unscrew the top caps and push the fork all the way down (slowly, so you don't splooge oil everywhere). At this point the springs, carts, and top caps should be sticking up 7" out of the top of the fork legs, see if you can still get the movement with the fork bottomed out or nearly bottomed out. This should indicate which set of bushings need work, or if multiple ones do.

Can you see this movement in both legs or just one?

run, hide, it's a bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    I don't that'll help because that's just the bottom attachment of the carts. Without even having the carts in the fork it shouldn't be doing what he's seeing. This is purely a stanchion/bushings/lowers fit problem.

Maybe they just forgot to install the upper bushings. It wouldn't be the first time Marz failed to install all the parts.
    - yeah - that sounds right more correct then my thinking

- have you seen the diagram for switching a 05 66rc from 150 to 170 and back again - there are like 5 parts shown in the diagram that are no where to be found in the fork!
    **! I'd rather sh!t out Mark Weir than watch him pedal up a hill !**

7am Backcountry ;- )
    It sounds like the upper bushings are out of tolerance spec. I've got several Marz forks and see none of that, I have seen it on several 05 Z1FRs though. If you search these forums you'll probably finds some posts by people complaining about those Z1s.

I've ridden a friends brand new 2007 66 RC2 ETA a couple times and didn't feel any slop, and I'm pretty sensitive to it. I find loose headsets or bushings very irritating.

Danno those Z1FR's have ETA I think as well, i've seen another post on a Marz 66 light ETA with same prob as me. What is in the ETA leg? is there a Coil and cartridge to lock the height?

Was the 07 RC2 you rode quite noisy or very smooth and plush?

That would make sense - there has got to be something missing for them to wobble like they do. I could see them breaking if I used them

Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    Bushings.

2 other checks you can do to make sure. Turn the bike upside down on the bars, and try to recreate that movement by the seals by grabbing the lowers and twisting them and also by grabbing the stanchions and trying to twist them. That should isolate it between the bushings and the crown/steerer/headset.

The next thing I would do would be to just unscrew the top caps and push the fork all the way down (slowly, so you don't splooge oil everywhere). At this point the springs, carts, and top caps should be sticking up 7" out of the top of the fork legs, see if you can still get the movement with the fork bottomed out or nearly bottomed out. This should indicate which set of bushings need work, or if multiple ones do.

Can you see this movement in both legs or just one?
    DHidiot i'm going to turn the bike over later and see if there is play then -

I don't want to crack them open though, there just over 7 days old so Chain Reaction should be able to take them back and exchange them for a new set and then send the faulties back to Marz themselves to get replacement for their stock.

Vexhex 5 parts missing isnt good lol

You guys have reassured me this isn't normal for these forks
    Last edited by capoz77; 03-11-2007 at 11:57 AM.

Just another FOC'er
    Danno those Z1FR's have ETA I think as well, i've seen another post on a Marz 66 light ETA with same prob as me. What is in the ETA leg? is there a Coil and cartridge to lock the height?
    There is a coil in that leg and the ETA cartridge. The cartridge provides a hydraulic lockdown using a checkvalve of some sort. All Marz forks with ETA have it in the left leg. I don't think there's any difference in the stanchions or lowers between the left and right side of the fork. I believe you could put the RC2 on the left, and ETA on the right if you wanted.

So you just have this slop on the ETA side? If so that even points more towards a missing upper bushing, it won't have anything to do with ETA.

Was the 07 RC2 you road quite noisy or very smooth and plush?
    Yes, very smooth and quiet.

You guys have reassured me this isn't normal for these forks
    I'd send it back, a new fork shouldn't have any noticeable play. Even on my old forks it's not detectable.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by vexhex
    ye - maybe try compressing the fork and tightening up the foot nuts - ....maybe.

very dangerous...you can break the bolt to the cartridge and have to buy a new cartridge = major $$$$
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Put the bike upside down tonight and checked for play in the fork boots. There was a significant amount of movement in all directions

Quite bad left and right - no stability or stiffness at all. All originating from just below my hand

mtbr member
    that happened to my '06 66 rc2x. since zoke is local to me, i brought it to their hq directly. spoke to mike & ronnie and they told me that the bushings from the factory were defective. they replaced the lower legs but the legs that they replaced were mis-aligned/twisted thus i had a hard time fitting the axle. i sent it back and they fixed it and did the works to compensate.

after six months, i did notice it come back but this time it's side to side and not fore and aft flex; although it was not as noticeable as before. i sent it back again and they replaced almost everything including the seals and did the works.

it's been 3 months since and i've always been a happy camper and am impressed with zoke customer service.
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

Chris Bling

No slop here

capoz,
    just got your message and checked out my fork and there is no slop like you have described with your 66. From the sounds of it, it does sound like the bushing is either not there, or too out of spec for the fork. I just pulled my entire fork apart yesterday and was impressed with how simple the design is. The bushings are huge! and if you already have that much play, somethings up. I would just take it down to your LBS and have them pull the lowers and see if its missing a bushing. It only took me about 10 minutes to pull the lowers off. At any rate, i know that Zoke will take care of you, as they have for every costomer that has come into the shop where i work. of the tech guys at Zoke, i think that Gideon is the coolest. We have only had to send back 2 forks in all my time working there, so its not a common occurence. i cant say the same about fox, where it seems like every week we send at least one fork or shock back!

good luck and let me know how things turn out.

dusty
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

7am Backcountry ;- )

Update

Thanks for advice guys

"We initially checked the forks out in our workshop and it seems like the
    bottom bushes are missing internally. These where sent back on the 16//03/07
    (Friday) to Windwave, the UK Marzocchi importer and I would expect this one
    to be resolved in the next 2-3 working days."

How common is this happening? How on earth can a fork with missing parts get through zocchis qaulity control lol

7am Backcountry ;- )

Sorted

Got the forks back from WindWave who they were sent to after CRC had a look.

The lower bushings were missing

Windwave installed new bushings, new oil and seal kit and oil which I can now hear trickling through the forks when the bike is upside down ( think they forgot this in the forks originally as well!)

Very plush now, ETA works sweet, very happy - taking it on full outing this weekend

mtbr remember
    oh man.... what a hassle... glad you got'er back together and rollin'.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Just another FOC'er
    I'm sure they hate it when you make them give you all the parts. Nice to see it's fixed though.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Thanks Danno . The guy at windwave was saying it was probably a friday afternoon at zocchi factory in Italy and the guys couldn't be arsed lol

-2006 mtb junky-
    this happened to me also with my marzocchi"s, must admit the slop in my headset when i held the front brake on and gently rolled the bike back and forth etc,it swas scarey,i wasnt game to ride mine at all,thought it was gunna snap, because i changed my headset ,cups,crown race etc,altough very similer in look and size i found the two bearings in the cups to be my problem, changed them and off i went all tight no slop, but that was just my delema, good luck gettin a nice tight ride!!

mtbr member
    i've got the same problem on my DOT... sux ass indeed...

Members who have read this thread: 0