Marzocchi MZ versus Marzocchi EXR ...wich one for jumping ?- Mtbr.com
    Portland, OR

Marzocchi MZ versus Marzocchi EXR ...wich one for jumping ?

Hello. I have a 2004 P.2 my EXR comp isnt running that good anymore. it locks up all the time, squishes out and cant be adjusted because it will stop working if you add any air to it. I have a 04 Marzocchi MZ comp sitting around and I was thinking about just swiching to that. I do a lot of trials, urban, skatepark and dirtjumps. the MZ works perfictly ... the EXR works when it wants to. The EXR has stood up to everything i've dished out at it, will the MZ ?
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    how about a DJ fork.

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsterCraw
    how about a DJ fork.
    cant get one at the moment. I am currently saving up for a Kona Shred. and I just had the MZ laying around.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    ya the mz would for awhile. i had an mz race and also have it lying around. its not too bad actually.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    Hello. I have a 2004 P.2 my EXR comp isnt running that good anymore. it locks up all the time, squishes out and cant be adjusted because it will stop working if you add any air to it. I have a 04 Marzocchi MZ comp sitting around and I was thinking about just swiching to that. I do a lot of trials, urban, skatepark and dirtjumps. the MZ works perfictly ... the EXR works when it wants to. The EXR has stood up to everything i've dished out at it, will the MZ ?
    Neither of those forks are intended for for the types of riding you are doing.... I would call our tech department and see what kind of deal you can get on an upgrade to a DJ3... Save yourself some money (and possibly some pain) and do it right...

Brian

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Peterson
    Neither of those forks are intended for for the types of riding you are doing.... I would call our tech department and see what kind of deal you can get on an upgrade to a DJ3... Save yourself some money (and possibly some pain) and do it right...

Brian
    I don wanna spend any money.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    cant get one at the moment. I am currently saving up for a Kona Shred. and I just had the MZ laying around.
    i have a 2004 Kona shred w/ a bunch of upgrades i could sell you.
    Sully

Freshly Fujified

Calculated risk

With all due respect, that fork is not intended for the type of abuse you will put it through. You risk breaking the fork and injuring yourself. If you're looking for advice, then heed to the advice that's been given to you. Don't ask for it and then push back when the advice goes against what you want to hear. I realize that you may not be able to buy a new fork. That doesn't change the fact that what you're contemplating is not an option.

About the two forks-the EXR Comp-you say it doesn't work any more, but has taken everything you've dished out. If it has taken everything you've dished out, then why do you suppose it's not working? It's taken a beating and now it's life is over, as it is not a good fork for that type of riding, regardless of whether or not it came with the bike. The MZ comp is a step or two below the EXR. It will die or break faster than the EXR, IMO.

I suggest you rethink your options, or ride less aggressively until you can buy a suitable replacement fork

Respectfully,

Bob
    Last edited by Call_me_Clyde; 10-06-2005 at 04:57 AM. Reason: clarification of point
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    I have an MZ Comp that came with my Hardrock. Everybody talks s#@t about it, but it has put up with a lot of abuse. I've had it for 6 months and regularly do 3-4' drops to flat, North Shore stunts, some dirt jumping, I even had it on black diamond downhills in Vail. I weigh 190lbs and I abuse it on a daily basis, and also ride XC with it. No oil leaks or anything. It might not be made for that kind of riding, but it's done pretty well for me.
    TWEEK'D GEAR
    Earth Friendly Riding Apparel
    www.tweekdgear.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    With all due respect, that fork is not intended for the type of abuse you will put it through. You risk breaking the fork and injuring yourself. If you're looking for advice, then heed to the advice that's been given to you. Don't ask for it and then push back when the advice goes against what you want to hear. I realize that you may not be able to buy a new fork. That doesn't change the fact that what you're contemplating is not an option.

About the two forks-the EXR Comp-you say it doesn't work any more, but has taken everything you've dished out. If it has taken everything you've dished out, then why do you suppose it's not working? It's taken a beating and now it's life is over, as it is not a good fork for that type of riding, regardless of whether or not it came with the bike. The MZ comp is a step or two below the EXR. It will die or break faster than the EXR, IMO.

I suggest you rethink your options, or ride less aggressively until you can buy a suitable replacement fork

Respectfully,

Bob
    the mz is above the exr. marz does not even make the exr. get your facts straight.
    toddfr here is the dealio. i had a mz comp. i djed on it for two months in 03 on a 03 hardrock. i destroyed it. the cryofit started to fail. the bushings wore out. i went to a dj1 on a p1. problem solved.
    sell the mz. buy a dj3 on ebay for 180 new (i saw a nice buy it now deal). you will get that much for the mz on ebay anyway (people bid all crazy on that site). the mz is a nice xc fork but not ready for prime time.

Freshly Fujified

Dream on Dream boy

Quote Originally Posted by dream4est
    the mz is above the exr. marz does not even make the exr. get your facts straight.
    The MZ has the absolute worst type of damping system available-Coil/MCU, which is the very same type of damping his EXR Comp had the year of the original poster's bike. My mistake was made in thinking that his EXR was the older Pro model (2004 and older) which was dual coil and used the open bath SSV damping, which is indeed a better damping system than the Coli/MCU of the inferior MZ Comp and EXR Comp products. I'm pretty sure I got my facts straight, unless the Marzocchi web site info is incorrect.

As for Marz not making the EXR, it's designed by Marzocchi, and manufactured for them by Suntour. I'd bet that the MZ Comp, which is indeed their bottom of the line OEM fork, is engineered and manufactured under a similar arrangement. Perhaps now we both have our facts straight?

Bottom line, by both of our advice admission, the MZ won't cut it.

Bob
    Last edited by Call_me_Clyde; 10-06-2005 at 05:51 AM. Reason: additional info
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Elitest thrill junkie
    Then you can't afford to jump.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Got dental insurance?

Brian

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    toddfr here is the dealio. i had a mz comp. i djed on it for two months in 03 on a 03 hardrock. i destroyed it. the cryofit started to fail. the bushings wore out. i went to a dj1 on a p1. problem solved.
    sell the mz. buy a dj3 on ebay for 180 new (i saw a nice buy it now deal). you will get that much for the mz on ebay anyway (people bid all crazy on that site). the mz is a nice xc fork but not ready for prime time.
    BUZZ!! Wrong answer... Thanks for playing...

Neither of those are made by Marz Italy... And the EXR is the higher end of the 2... Oil bath, coils, hydraulic damping on the EXR, Like Clyde said, coil MCU on the MZ...

I think you are confusing the MZ with the higher MX forks that are made it Italy...

Brian

mtbr member

Neither of those are made by Marz Italy... And the EXR is the higher end of the 2... Oil bath, coils, hydraulic damping on the EXR, Like Clyde said, coil MCU on the MZ...

I think you are confusing the MZ with the higher MX forks that are made it Italy...

Brian
    i had the mx. i was wrong about the model. it still died an ugly death. i should have never jumped it.

mtbr member

Brian
    i guess i should get my facts straight. i had the mx (just looked at the website). but i have a question brian. can i remove the spring(s) from a 04 z150fr and run the fork air sprung and lower the ride height to get less travel? any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i guess i should get my facts straight. i had the mx (just looked at the website). but i have a question brian. can i remove the spring(s) from a 04 z150fr and run the fork air sprung and lower the ride height to get less travel? any thoughts?
    You are right about the MX... While better than the MZ and EXR, it is still meant for XC use..

As for the Z150, you wouldn't be really changing the ride height, but just adding extra sag. I would take the coil out of the right leg, run it as a coil/ air combo and play with air pressure in that leg...

Brian

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Then you can't afford to jump.
    Isn't it great that companies want to make bikes that are marketed towards the abuse of dirt jumping but spec'ed with parts meant for entry level XC use?

Brian

Now with flavor!!
    Isn't it great that companies want to make bikes that are marketed towards the abuse of dirt jumping but spec'ed with parts meant for entry level XC use?

Brian
    Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    You are right about the MX... While better than the MZ and EXR, it is still meant for XC use..

As for the Z150, you wouldn't be really changing the ride height, but just adding extra sag. I would take the coil out of the right leg, run it as a coil/ air combo and play with air pressure in that leg...

Brian
    lets say i run it on a azonic steelhead for dj. how much lower ride height would i get with your described mod? i weigh 175 and would rather keep the fork than sell it to get a shorter travel fork. thanks for the info btw.
    i also have a 03 dj3 than im still very happy with. its going to be put on a 03 enduro sx im getting. can i remove the spring(s) from that fork and run air pressure only? like having a lighter dj3?

mtbr member

Respectfully,

Bob

jeez. we all know neither of those forks is suited for said use. he realizes neither of these forks are suited for said use. his situation is as follows: he has two bottom of the line forks. he cannot buy a new one, not an option. he will not stop riding the way he does. in this particular set of circumstances, which fork will serve him better until he can afford a new one. its fun to have money and tell other people "just dont do it if you cant afford to buy x part." i had an o3 exr pos, which i recently broke. i abused the hell out of it. im 200+ and had djed it, dropped up to 5' to flat on it, and crashed it many times. i knew it was going to break. frankly, i was suprised at how long it actually took for it to break( almost 2 years). alot can be said for being a smooth rider. anyway, replies like "you cant dj on a fork meant for anything other than DJ or you will implode" dont help anyone and are ussless. the answer for everythign is not to buy a new fork (unless you are a fork company).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulentfox
    jeez. we all know neither of those forks is suited for said use. he realizes neither of these forks are suited for said use. his situation is as follows: he has two bottom of the line forks. he cannot buy a new one, not an option. he will not stop riding the way he does. in this particular set of circumstances, which fork will serve him better until he can afford a new one. its fun to have money and tell other people "just dont do it if you cant afford to buy x part." i had an o3 exr pos, which i recently broke. i abused the hell out of it. im 200+ and had djed it, dropped up to 5' to flat on it, and crashed it many times. i knew it was going to break. frankly, i was suprised at how long it actually took for it to break( almost 2 years). alot can be said for being a smooth rider. anyway, replies like "you cant dj on a fork meant for anything other than DJ or you will implode" dont help anyone and are ussless. the answer for everythign is not to buy a new fork (unless you are a fork company).
    First off, it doesn't matter if I work for a fork company or if I was still working at my old bike shop job, I am going to give the same answer on this. I will not tell somebody to ride a product in a manner that is beyond the intended use and may result in serious injury to the rider.

Second, I presented him with an option that would allow him to get a new fork at pretty good discount off of retail. His reply, "I don't WANT to spend any money." Want vs. need. He doesn't WANT to spend money now, but should he get injured as a result of riding equipment that is not intended for the type of riding we chooses to do, he will NEED to spend a lot more money on medical bills.... Pick your poison.

You say the answer to everything is not to buy a new fork, but it sure seems to be a whole lot better than hoping you don't get hurt should the fork fail.

Brian Peterson
    Marzocchi USA

Freshly Fujified

He asked for advice

jeez. we all know neither of those forks is suited for said use. he realizes neither of these forks are suited for said use. his situation is as follows: he has two bottom of the line forks. he cannot buy a new one, not an option. he will not stop riding the way he does. in this particular set of circumstances, which fork will serve him better until he can afford a new one.
    His question was "The EXR has stood up to everything i've dished out at it, will the MZ ?"

I gave my answer, and like I said, don't come looking for an advice if all you're doing is looking for confirmation of a decision you've already made. I won't apologize for recommending that someone not be stupid and use a product for anything other than it's intended use.

This has become a tempest in a teacup. He has the MZ comp, he's going to install it and use it until he gets his new bike. Hopefully the fork won't fail on him.

Todd-no hard feelings, bro. Just trying to answer the question with what I believe is sound advice. I hope the Shred comes sooner than later. Either way, enjoy and be safe.

Bob
    Last edited by Call_me_Clyde; 10-06-2005 at 10:03 AM.

mtbr member
    First off, it doesn't matter if I work for a fork company or if I was still working at my old bike shop job, I am going to give the same answer on this. I will not tell somebody to ride a product in a manner that is beyond the intended use and may result in serious injury to the rider.

Second, I presented him with an option that would allow him to get a new fork at pretty good discount off of retail. His reply, "I don't WANT to spend any money." Want vs. need. He doesn't WANT to spend money now, but should he get injured as a result of riding equipment that is not intended for the type of riding we chooses to do, he will NEED to spend a lot more money on medical bills.... Pick your poison.

You say the answer to everything is not to buy a new fork, but it sure seems to be a whole lot better than hoping you don't get hurt should the fork fail.

Brian Peterson
    Marzocchi USA
    i agree. i wan't tryign to flame anyone or anything. most definitly, the best option is to buy a fork suited for the kind of riding you do. it just seems that often people reccomend buyign a new product rather that working with what you have. if you have the money, the only logical (safe) thing to do is buy a product designed to hold up to the abuse of FR DJ urban etc. BUT, if you simplly cannot afford the proper fork, it is better to learn the skills necessary (smoothness) to ride urban on an xc fork than it is to give up and play video games.

observation: it is ridiculous that compays spec lowenf xc forks on jump bikes. seems like there would be a good market for a low end fork that was burly as hell at the expense of weight/damping. in jumping and other "extreme" forms of riding, at least at low end of product ranges, sacrificing weight savings for strength gains seems like a safer compromise that the converse.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    lets say i run it on a azonic steelhead for dj. how much lower ride height would i get with your described mod? i weigh 175 and would rather keep the fork than sell it to get a shorter travel fork. thanks for the info btw.
    i also have a 03 dj3 than im still very happy with. its going to be put on a 03 enduro sx im getting. can i remove the spring(s) from that fork and run air pressure only? like having a lighter dj3?
    That would depend on how much air you run.... Like I said, you are not really decreasing the ride height, just increasing the sag...

I would do this... Sell the 150 like you said, throw the DJ on to the Steelhead and get a fork to suit what you are looking to do on the Enduro SX... But that's just me...

Brian

Is dang happy!

Did just that.

I also weigh around 175 and had to remove a spring to get full travel for XC, No problems yet and lots of 3 footers to flat. Not the perfect fork for casing DJ's but it is a great poor-man's Z1 IMO.
    I think it lost at least a quarter lb. with (one) spring out, but the LBS said I was crazy so I did not try to remove two.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i agree. i wan't tryign to flame anyone or anything. most definitly, the best option is to buy a fork suited for the kind of riding you do. it just seems that often people reccomend buyign a new product rather that working with what you have. if you have the money, the only logical (safe) thing to do is buy a product designed to hold up to the abuse of FR DJ urban etc. BUT, if you simplly cannot afford the proper fork, it is better to learn the skills necessary (smoothness) to ride urban on an xc fork than it is to give up and play video games.

observation: it is ridiculous that compays spec lowenf xc forks on jump bikes. seems like there would be a good market for a low end fork that was burly as hell at the expense of weight/damping. in jumping and other "extreme" forms of riding, at least at low end of product ranges, sacrificing weight savings for strength gains seems like a safer compromise that the converse.
    Well, I could have said brush up on the skills, but the problem with that is that more often than not it is the time during that learning is when the problems arrise. Yes, there is a lot to said for being smooth... I have a lengthy BMX background that has helped me alot on the MTB.. But, I broke a lot of stuff getting there... Frames, forks, bars, cranks, stems....

Actually, on the complete bike thing... Usually the price is what comes into play... If a company save $10 bucks on a fork, they can afford to up spec a lot of the other parts... A hell of a game to play...

Brian

mtbr member
    That would depend on how much air you run.... Like I said, you are not really decreasing the ride height, just increasing the sag...

I would do this... Sell the 150 like you said, throw the DJ on to the Steelhead and get a fork to suit what you are looking to do on the Enduro SX... But that's just me...

Brian
    i have an offer to trade the z150 for a 03 z1fr. im gonna do that and put it on the sx. i agree with your logic.
    now i just need you to take my 03 boxxer team/wc mod fork and give me a 888 and im all marz again (used to have a 01 monster but wanted less weight). you guys could use the boxxer for comparision testing!! haha.
    seriously though your point about the marz trade in for toddfr is the best idea here. i did it in 03 (exr comp for a dj1) and i was soooo happy (why specialized put that exr on a dj bike blows my mind). the prices are more than fair. you guys rule cs wise.

Elitest thrill junkie
    BUT, if you simplly cannot afford the proper fork, it is better to learn the skills necessary (smoothness) to ride urban on an xc fork than it is to give up and play video games.
    No, it's better to not do dirt jumping on something that could seriously injure you.

Is it going to kill you to wait a few months? Hell no.

Would you go pull a whole bunch of high-G aerobatic manuvers in a plane that is designed only for carrying passengers and only designed to see about 3-4Gs max? I'm a flight instructor and there's no amount of "courage" that would make me do something that stupid. A cessna is not designed to pull out from loop or crazy high G manuver, so I don't do them in a Cessna. When I want to do those kinds of manuvers I have to use the right kind of plane(aerobatic). I have to "wait" untill I can instruct manuvers in that plane, even though I want to right now.

Go ride your marzocchi XC fork, just don't go bagging on marzocchi when you have to get it removed from your jaw in the emergency room.

Waiting untill you can afford the proper equipment is not "giving up".
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

gnar, brah
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBSully
    i have a 2004 Kona shred w/ a bunch of upgrades i could sell you.
    downgrade a p.2 to a shred....

that's cute.
    Trestle Bike Park

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by focused1
    I have an MZ Comp that came with my Hardrock. Everybody talks s#@t about it, but it has put up with a lot of abuse. I've had it for 6 months and regularly do 3-4' drops to flat, North Shore stunts, some dirt jumping, I even had it on black diamond downhills in Vail. I weigh 190lbs and I abuse it on a daily basis, and also ride XC with it. No oil leaks or anything. It might not be made for that kind of riding, but it's done pretty well for me.
    No oil leaks because it has no oil. Simple spring/mcu elastometer fork. Or the likes of it.

Meh.
    The MZ has the absolute worst type of damping system available-Coil/MCU, which is the very same type of damping his EXR Comp had the year of the original poster's bike. My mistake was made in thinking that his EXR was the older Pro model (2004 and older) which was dual coil and used the open bath SSV damping, which is indeed a better damping system than the Coli/MCU of the inferior MZ Comp and EXR Comp products. I'm pretty sure I got my facts straight, unless the Marzocchi web site info is incorrect.

As for Marz not making the EXR, it's designed by Marzocchi, and manufactured for them by Suntour. I'd bet that the MZ Comp, which is indeed their bottom of the line OEM fork, is engineered and manufactured under a similar arrangement. Perhaps now we both have our facts straight?

Bottom line, by both of our advice admission, the MZ won't cut it.

Bob
    A number of lower end forks are made by Suntour.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.
    I think Marzocchi actually prohibits their low-end xc forks from being specced on huck-worthy bikes now. Too many failures and whatnot.

I post too much.
    What was teh '05 drop-off comp designed for, mainly? And I seem to not be getting the full travel(80mm instead of the said 100) as i have never bottomed it out at all, and it never goes past 80mm, even with no air at all in it.

Members who have read this thread: 0