Marzocchi 888 rc3 world cup- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Marzocchi 888 rc3 world cup

Hi, i have 888 rc3 2008 WC with soft spring K=6.5(i`m183cm/ 83kg without gear), but the fork isn`t working properly.On the big bumps the fork works really good, but on the small bumps is very firm...absolutelly no sensativity and kickin my hands really hard.i stop every 1-2min. because my hands become really tired. I ride without compression/hi/low and no mech preload only with right amount of rebound.Does somebody have the same issues?Please help me to make this ....expensive fork do it`s job!

my oil is stock viscosity 7.5 marzocchi

sorry, for my English!I hope that you understand my problem!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    do you have any air in the boost chamber? if so, try letting that out. Also try compressing the fork (or have somebody do it for you) and let air out of the boost chamber.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Hope Boost chamber

Thanks for your answer , but where is these boost chamber?how can i deflate it?...i haven`t open the rc3 cartridge yet.i don`t know what is inside.In the right leg there is only a spring and some oil.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    its on top of the left leg. pop the rebound cap off and there should be a little valve. compress the fork a bit by leaning on the bars and have a friend poke the valve till air stops coming out. Chances are a little oil/goop will come out. Don't sweat it too much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    ....There is no valve under the rebound cap....any ideas?

http://www.snimka.bg/album.php?album_id=302614

mtbr member
    william are you referring to the ata version? I didn't think that they rc3 world cup was air preload, I thought it was mechanical preload. Anyway the stock marzocchi oil is similar to golden spectro. In my opinion it is horrible for attaining optimum small bump sensitivity. You should try Red Line 5wt oil. It really made my 888s and 66s come to life. Red Line is used in moto forks and is available in different viscosities. If 5wt is too light you will have to mix 10 wt and 5 wt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    So I just took the time to actually look at it. The 66 line is coming with the valve. the 888 line simply gets the AVA (air volume adjust) the idea is to control how progressive the fork is. Its the red knob right under the rebound knob. Make sure thats full counter clockwise.

Honestly it sounds like your damper has an actual problem, but it doesn't hurt to test these things before you call marzocchi so you can be more specific about the problem.

Check that out and see what happens

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

10x

guys, thanks for the answers!Iwill change my oil with motorex sae 5 and if the problem remains i will speak with my dealer. i will post later what happen.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    how much sag you have? maybe if you ride the fork she is to compressed.. it must left 17cm out, if the fork is more compressed the sensitive travel for small chatter is lost.. you stay ride on the last 10cm off travel... and this is for big stuff only!
    Last edited by 8664; 10-30-2008 at 03:17 AM.
    :thumbsup:
    ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    ...my sag is about 3cm, which is ok in my opinion
    i`m riding this fork for about a month vith oil 5 SAe...(stock was 7.5).it`s more plush, but still kick my hands really hard.and when i set the Rebound it increase the compression too much and the fork becomes much firmer than usual! Is this normal?

All Mt, DH
    Hi I have a 2009 888 WC with the 6.5ti coil. I can confirm there is no air preload, only a mechanical preload on the top of the right leg. When trying to adjust intially the preload knob wouldnt turn, had to remove the red knob and use a small spanner (it must have been tightened at the factory for some reason). Note on mine there are the following adjustments:
    Mech Preload 37 clicks
    Rebound 24 clicks
    VA 19 Click
    Compression 18 + clicks (maybe more, but will never use more).

Can someone explain the VA adjustment (red knob under the rebound... not sure how it works, air/oil voulme?).

Overall quite pleased so far, only used the fork for 3 hours, but so far so good.
    Many Thanks
    2007 Blur 4x
    2009 Driver 8

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue
    Can someone explain the VA adjustment (red knob under the rebound... not sure how it works, air/oil voulme?).
    Someone correct me if im wrong but i believe you can adjust the voume in the chamber to make it bigger and smaller. When you make the chamber smaller the pressure ramps up faster making the fork more progressive, the opposite for making it larger volume. I could be wrong but I believe thats how it works
    Purple Popcorn

Glad to Be Alive
    looking at your bike from your handle bars back to your seat....at the bottom left hand fork....try opening that valve all the way open....sounds like you have it set for big hits
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    SHIVER ME TIMBERS- I`m riding this fork without any hi/low comp settings(bottom left leg), no mech preload(right leg), no VA preload(upper left leg, under the rebound knob-The VA affect only the ending stroke), only the proper amount of rebound.But there is no sensativity on the small bumps.I believe that this settings are the plushest posible, but on the trail they don`t work!

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by Lubomir Popov
    SHIVER ME TIMBERS- I`m riding this fork without any hi/low comp settings(bottom left leg), no mech preload(right leg), no VA preload(upper left leg, under the rebound knob-The VA affect only the ending stroke), only the proper amount of rebound.But there is no sensativity on the small bumps.I believe that this settings are the plushest posible, but on the trail they don`t work!
    is your compression damping to the - side or the + side? Maybe you are turning it the wrong way...
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    full counterclock!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    something has to be wrong with your fork. Not sure what, but my 66rc3 is one most sensitive forks i've ever ridden, and the 888rc3 I played on felt no different (better, actually, with that extra inch). Donno what it is though, good luck getting it sorted

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks!I believe that something is wrong with the RC3 cartridge, but my dealer says:everything is OK ....will see
    Thank guys

Members who have read this thread: 0