Marzocchi 66 RC2X Oil Height Clarification inside!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Reamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    713

    Marzocchi 66 RC2X Oil Height Clarification inside!

    For those of you who have a new 66 rc2x, I talked to a tech guy at Marz last night and he said that the reccomended oil height is 60 mm from the top, fork fully compressed, springs out. However, if you don't have the know how to remove the springs and what not, he also said that if you can completely empty the fork oil out, each leg is reccomended at 220 cc's.

    My question is this, if you take the fork off the bike, turn it upside down, empty out all the oil, then cycle the fork upside down, will this get most of the oil out of it? I put 150cc's in after doing this about a week ago, and Im just wondering if I should go ahead and put in an aditional 50 cc's in each leg now?

    Thanks!

    BTW, the Faith is dope, I've been riding xc with it until I can get down to our trails and it pedals really nicely! I'm still leary on the whole single crown thing, but will see how she handles this weekend.

  2. #2
    I dream on two wheels
    Reputation: Simonns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    761
    Well, I changed the oil in mine last night. I emptied each leg into a separate container. Each leg had about 6.25 oz which is about 185 cc's according to google calculator. And that was after cycle the fork a couple times to get out as much oil as possible. So thats what I put back in. So after reading a lot on here about changing the oil in marzzochi's its all about feel. If the fork blows through its travel add some oil, if it ramps up really fast you might have too much in there.

    -Simon

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Reamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonns
    Well, I changed the oil in mine last night. I emptied each leg into a separate container. Each leg had about 6.25 oz which is about 185 cc's according to google calculator. And that was after cycle the fork a couple times to get out as much oil as possible. So thats what I put back in. So after reading a lot on here about changing the oil in marzzochi's its all about feel. If the fork blows through its travel add some oil, if it ramps up really fast you might have too much in there.

    -Simon
    I hear yah.

    I've read some of the other posts on here regarding this fork, and a few other Marz...It's pretty lame that it's not an exact science. There should be an exact oil level that goes into these forks, and the only changes should be in weight of the oil, or spring stiffness...I hate how they come from the factory ranging from 60 cc's in each leg to 185 or whatever... You'd think there'd be a quality control regulation in order to have everyone on the same page not guessing. Of course adding more oil for heavier people is going to stiffin it up, but it also plays a roll in the loss of the full use of travel.

    I'm not ranting at you, I'm saying this in general. There should be an exact amount, no more, no less, changes in stiffness or how fast it compresses and rebounds should be adjusted by oil weight and springs, not volume.

    Just my $.02

    On with the guess work...

  4. #4
    I dream on two wheels
    Reputation: Simonns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    761
    Quote Originally Posted by Reamer
    I hear yah.

    I've read some of the other posts on here regarding this fork, and a few other Marz...It's pretty lame that it's not an exact science. There should be an exact oil level that goes into these forks, and the only changes should be in weight of the oil, or spring stiffness...I hate how they come from the factory ranging from 60 cc's in each leg to 185 or whatever... You'd think there'd be a quality control regulation in order to have everyone on the same page not guessing. Of course adding more oil for heavier people is going to stiffin it up, but it also plays a roll in the loss of the full use of travel.

    I'm not ranting at you, I'm saying this in general. There should be an exact amount, no more, no less, changes in stiffness or how fast it compresses and rebounds should be adjusted by oil weight and springs, not volume.

    Just my $.02

    On with the guess work...
    I couldn't agree more. At least its not too hard to add or remove oil.

    -Simon

  5. #5
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,204
    Just changed the oil in my 888 by flipping it upside down, cycling the fork a few times and let it drain. I didn't measure what came out, but I put back in the recommended volume. The fork works great, so I assume the level is correct. I was surprised at the amount of sludge in there, and I'm not sure I even had reached the recommended break in time yet. Huge improvement after the oil change tho - I love that fork!
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  6. #6
    Specialized Rida
    Reputation: skate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Just changed the oil in my 888 by flipping it upside down, cycling the fork a few times and let it drain. I didn't measure what came out, but I put back in the recommended volume. The fork works great, so I assume the level is correct. I was surprised at the amount of sludge in there, and I'm not sure I even had reached the recommended break in time yet. Huge improvement after the oil change tho - I love that fork!
    Yeah I did my 888 last week and I noticed that I wasn't getting the same amount out that I had orginally put in. Not sure what happened there, but I cycled the fork all the way but not much more came out and I know it had the correct amount in it because I was the one who changed it.

    don't know if this is normal or what because I didn't even have any leaks to blame it on.

    Now I done this several times before maybe I just had it in there to long and it needed to be changed, because it did come out pretty dark and that was only after 6 months.

    Well it's good as new now so I will see how much I get after I change it again in a couple of months.

  7. #7
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Reamer
    I've read some of the other posts on here regarding this fork, and a few other Marz...It's pretty lame that it's not an exact science. There should be an exact oil level that goes into these forks, and the only changes should be in weight of the oil, or spring stiffness...
    On with the guess work...
    It is an exact science, the problem is that without totally stripping the fork down, there's no way you are going to get all the old oil out. It gets caught inside the cartridges and between the stanchions and lowers. So if you add the exactly correct amount back in, you'll likely have too much oil.

    The options as I see it:
    • totally strip the fork down, and add the full amount suggested by marzocchi
    • just remove the top caps and springs, drain and fill until you get the suggested measurement from the top, ride a few times, add or remove oil as needed using a straw.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.