marzocchi 66 coil- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

marzocchi 66 coil

hey guys i need help, i got this deal on an 08 demo 7 1, which is sick but i am very small and light, i changed the shock spring to suit me but i was wondering if it was possible to change the fork coil? this is my first full suss bike and im still getting used to it.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    yeah its possible to change the spring rate in the fork, they normally have a soft medium and firm spring with the occasional x-firm or x-soft, medium would be what is in the fork now

your LBS would able to get you the right sized spring

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    as far as i know,
    the RC3 has only one springrate available (which is a tad firmer than the springs of the 2007 RC2X). they wont make any softer springs (according to our importer in germany).
    CW

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    cw, its a 66rcv

mtbr member
    i read somewhere that you cannot get softer/stiffer springs for the 07 66.. all adjustments are made through the airpressure...can anyone confirm that?

that seems kinda foolish to me because i don't think the added airpressure helps much to resist brake dive. a firmer spring would better suited for that.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    As far as i understood, preload was handled by the adding of air pressure. It will effectively raise the energy needed to bottom your fork. If you are light, dont add any air pressure. the 1 problem I had with my 66 is that i cant find an air pump that can register pressures under 10 psi. So i go by "pumps" and just wandered in the dark with feel. Good system still, i can lock it out if i wanna DJ or just add 5 pumps for freeriding
    2020 Santa Cruz Megatower

2019 Chromag Rootdown

2019 Specialized Stump-jumper EVO 29er

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    to NEstinkyrider:
    there are softer springs (red) available for 2007 models. more springrate is archieved by adding air preload and sometimes higher oil levels (for even more progression in springrate).

to orginal poster:
    havent opened rhe RCV model, but should be built like RC3 in the right holm (one spring).

CW

...abuse these forks.
    If you dont weigh much you can take a coil out of one side, maybe but a little air in the opposing side. The 08 mostly have coils in only one side. If its an RV, a cassette tool will remove the top cap. Dont be intimidated by taking it apart; youre not gonna hurt it, just but it back like you took it out
    Dont pinkbike my mtbr

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by NEstinkyrider
    i read somewhere that you cannot get softer/stiffer springs for the 07 66.. all adjustments are made through the airpressure...can anyone confirm that?

that seems kinda foolish to me because i don't think the added airpressure helps much to resist brake dive. a firmer spring would better suited for that.
    I was going to send my 06 RC2X for the "works" treatment and the tech told me there is only one spring rate for my year. All adjustments were with the air preload...

If you're having brake dive problems try adjusting low speed compression or go to a thicker weight oil...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    i dont know for the 2006s. but for 2007:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=12594
    you should be able to fit these on 2006 and 2007 RC2X as the only difference is 7mm.
    so 7mm more preload when using the 2007 springs or?
    CW

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    thanks for the help, my model is 2008 RC3 with one air one coil sided. dirty downhill... are you saying i could take the one coil out and just run the air pressuer side?

thanks again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FreaKib0!
    thanks for the help, my model is 2008 RC3 with one air one coil sided. dirty downhill... are you saying i could take the one coil out and just run the air pressuer side?

thanks again!

i pretty sure he was refering to the 07 66 that has a spring in both legs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    sorry, i meant the 08 models

Members who have read this thread: 0