Is a marin quake xlt any good?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Is a marin quake xlt any good?

there is a guy wanting to trade me straight across for my 2011 Giant Reign 2. He said he would if he got to keep his crank, chain guide, and brakes....... is it a good deal? i know nothing about these Marin bikes. i just bought an '11 scratch air 8 for my do it all bike and i was going to get a downhill bike in the future but maybe this is a quicker way for me to get there. let me know if it is worth it guys. thanks!

Marin Quake XLT - Pinkbike.com (his bike)
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2011 Trek Scratch Air 8
    2011 Reign 2
    2008 Specialized p.2

mtbr member
    not knowing about what the condition and build kit is on your trade, l can't say it's a good deal --

l can say though, the Marin's a sweet ride. l have been selling them since they came out. they rock at all the freeridey stuff and then, they'll out climb almost anything in its class, even some of the twinky XC bikes that climb to be good climbers.

the frame design is a little funky looking but it's very well designed.

--- random shots of some pedal shop has sold or demo'd: MARIN Photo Album - Page 1 - Pinkbike.com
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I LOVE mine! I bought it from Pedal Shop last year and have been riding at Diablo since, it rocks! It handles everything I've put it through just fine, and I'm sure it can handle a HELL of a lot more. I actually just took it XCing on Friday. One of the coolest things about it is the super long seat tube, it's long enough that I can actually get more than full leg extension, and I'm six foot.

At the lifts on top of Diablo.

It's also pretty cool that no one knows what the hell it is. I think just about every time I go to the bike park someone asks about it, it certainly happens often enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    2011 Giant Reign 2 - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

this is a link to the for sale ad i have here on mtbr.
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2011 Trek Scratch Air 8
    2011 Reign 2
    2008 Specialized p.2

Glad to Be Alive
    nice looking Marin bike...but I would never trade down for suspension....Giants suspension way better then the marin's single pivot
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    nice looking Marin bike...but I would never trade down for suspension....Giants suspension way better then the marin's single pivot
    It's not a single pivot... I don't think Marin make any single pivots anymore.

I think it's just a really short four bar. They call it the quadlink II.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty certain it's not a single pivot... That said, it sure looks like there'd be a bit of brake squat...what w/ how flat that smaller link is sitting...
    Owners, chime in?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    SMT, put down the crack pipe. The Quake is not a single pivot.

It's the Whyte-engineered 4 bar virtual pivot that avoids infringing the VPP and DW link (and Maestro and CVA) intellectual property. Even with pro pedal off, it pedals very efficiently, perhaps better than VP2 bikes of similar travel. I don't own one but have ridden several and have a riding buddy with one.

The shock adjustments are difficult to get to, since the frame gets in the way, and removing the shock takes longer than with most bikes. Center of Gravity is a bit high w/ this frame design, obviously. OTOH, the elevated chainstay design has some advantages.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty certain it's not a single pivot... That said, it sure looks like there'd be a bit of brake squat...what w/ how flat that smaller link is sitting...
    Owners, chime in?
    Nah, I don't notice it squatting much under braking. I think it helps that the brake is so far away from the links. Also, the way both links are aranged looks to me like it would help stop that sort of rotational pressure, pulling on the rear one and pushing straight in-line with the front one.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The quake is a great freeride bike, I have the first generation 2006 frame and it's held up well. The shock is a ***** to adjust as frorider said. I rode it all over Northstar this last weekend and it did real well on live wire, but I was wanting more bottom out resistance in the rocks (boondocks). For a trail bike pedals really well, snappy on the tables, but the cockpit is a little too cramped for all out downhill. Northstar is really a dh bike resort.

mtbr member
    Don't get it. If you just bought a scratch air, this would pretty much fill almost the exact same niche as that bike. If you want a DH bike, get a DH bike.
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarashi View Post
    Don't get it. If you just bought a scratch air, this would pretty much fill almost the exact same niche as that bike. If you want a DH bike, get a DH bike.
    My thoughts exactly! i was hoping it was the 7.8" or 7.9" (i think they made one in 7.9) travel but the guy told me it is only 180mm...... so i'm going to pass.
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2011 Trek Scratch Air 8
    2011 Reign 2
    2008 Specialized p.2

mtbr member
    Comments on the comments.

** takes me +/- 10 minutes to pop the shock off the frame -- no funky tools needed: just a multi-allen wrench and only two socket wrenches: 10 & 13mm --- pop the main pivot bolt, from there you can pop the bolts for the rear shock out.

** frame doesn't need any brake boost or anything even remotely close to something like Kona's D.O.P.E. the frame design simply doesn't need it.

** climbing with it is silly nice... one of these days l'll wup up a video showing how well l can climb with it. l don't think l have any special skills in climbing. l know several people who can climb way the heck better than me.

** seen lots of them rebuilt with Boxxer's and 40's, using them for DH... that's the way the Marin team have been using them in the past. The rear travel is what it is... ask me, it's plenty.

** if you're local to VA.. give me a shout, l can set up a demo-day for ya.

** tuning the rear shock? ehh, sure, it's not all that easy but l can tune it just fine in a matter of minutes -- set it N forget it. any frame that might have some of the design geared around ease of adjustments isn't thinking things through too well.
    Last edited by Pedal Shop; 08-29-2011 at 07:01 PM.
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HowMaybesGo View Post
    My thoughts exactly! i was hoping it was the 7.8" or 7.9" (i think they made one in 7.9) travel but the guy told me it is only 180mm...... so i'm going to pass.
    The 7.8 and 7.9 are just model numbers. They just have different build kits, the travel is the same, 6.7".

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OUTsane(the original) View Post
    The 7.8 and 7.9 are just model numbers. They just have different build kits, the travel is the same, 6.7".
    wow...... I am retarded. They are the same. But 180mm is just over 7in. 170mm is 6.7in. I don't know why I assumed they went up in travel.
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2011 Trek Scratch Air 8
    2011 Reign 2
    2008 Specialized p.2

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HowMaybesGo View Post
    wow...... I am retarded. They are the same. But 180mm is just over 7in. 170mm is 6.7in. I don't know why I assumed they went up in travel.
    They went up from 170 to 180 when they did a slight redesign in... '10 I think. Pedal Shop would know that better than me. They also have a ten inch version now too, but I think it has a different name.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    IMO a dual crown isn't going to turn the quake into a dh bike. I've got a totem which has the same A2C as a Boxxer, and the rear end bottoms on rocky stuff. 6.7" is simply not enough for tahoe rocks. Again, it is a quality bike, does the whole trail and free riding thing great. For whistler type flowy stuff with roots, it's a perfect fit.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    SMT, put down the crack pipe. The Quake is not a single pivot.

It's the Whyte-engineered 4 bar virtual pivot that avoids infringing the VPP and DW link (and Maestro and CVA) intellectual property. Even with pro pedal off, it pedals very efficiently, perhaps better than VP2 bikes of similar travel. I don't own one but have ridden several and have a riding buddy with one.

The shock adjustments are difficult to get to, since the frame gets in the way, and removing the shock takes longer than with most bikes. Center of Gravity is a bit high w/ this frame design, obviously. OTOH, the elevated chainstay design has some advantages.
    I have not been watching them the last few years...my bad...looks like the VPP, but higher and switched around in front. Which would raise Center of gravity. Would love to see the suspension move in a vid...cant find one...but I still take the mastro over it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    it actually is a competent DH bike with a dual crown. I'm saying this after riding the Austrian, Slovenian, Swiss, and French Alps with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is a marin quake xlt any good?-089.jpg  

Follow my mountain biking blog!

http://transientmtb.wordpress.com/