Manual and wheelie questions- Mtbr.com
    Generation X freerider

... and if we just ... Manual and wheelie questions

i got a couple questions on manuals and wheelies. First no matter how hard i try i can never manual. I see all these guys in videos and it loooks so easy. Got any answers or tips??

Also i just wana no how u guys wheelie. I can do it for maybe 50 60 feet but not real well if ugot any tips on that either just post it

p.s GET OUT AND VOTE (for bush)

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by cdog117
    i got a couple questions on manuals and wheelies. First no matter how hard i try i can never manual. I see all these guys in videos and it loooks so easy. Got any answers or tips??

Also i just wana no how u guys wheelie. I can do it for maybe 50 60 feet but not real well if ugot any tips on that either just post it

50 to 60 feet...just keep practicing you are almost there

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    there is no secret it just takes a tons of practice.... I can't manuel so I cant help you there... and just go out and practice alot and you'll get it.

Youngbuck
    This is probably the stupidest thing ive ever asked but...A manual is pedaling ont he back tire and a wheelie is gliding?Am i right?
    Honorary Member of the: 500 club

No longer riding a haro!
    Aug 2004
    A wheelie is when you ride with your front tire in the air while pedaling. My best is around 250-300 feet.

A manual is when you ride with your front tire in the air without pedaling. My best is around 5-6 feet. (big differece)

Serving you since 2010
    Feb 2004

get low

I have been tring to learn manuals for years. Every once and a while I can actually do one for 20-30 feet. Mostly I go for about 5-10 or just loop it out. My roomate can manual as long as his speed or the hill lasts. He told me the number one thing i was doing wrong was not getting my weight low. When I make an attempt to get my butt as close to the rear tire as I can, I notice a definate difference. The biggest thing is just practice. If the front wheel falls push with your legs to get it up. If it gets too high bend your knees and suck the bike up and it will come down. Always keep your arms straight and keep a finger on the rear brake as a safety thing.

Hope that helps
    Something witty goes here.

DOME Freeride Mafia

Tips of the wheelie-trade

I've been riding wheelies for years now. I think that they were fairly easy for me because I learned how to ride a unicycle when I was in 5th grade. I know that they are difficult, but I think that these tips may help you learn to ride one-wheel-style.
    1) I have found that riding uphill (seated) is the best way to learn to ride a wheelie. The fact that you are going uphill makes the feeling of tipping over seem less prominent, thus allowing you to focus on balance instead of freaking out because you're about to fall on your a$s. Keep a finger (or two) on your rear brake, and if (when!) you start to fall backward give it a slight touch. Of course, if you're really going over, the good ol' death grip should save you. If you're starting to fall forward, no panic, just give it a bit more pedal-power. Your knees are what are going to allow you to turn. It's hard to describe, and I don't even think that it's necessary to try because you will naturally sway your legs left and right to keep tracking forward.
    2) Practice riding wheelies when there is no wind. As you practice more and more, you will notice how difficult it can be to ride a straight line if there's even the slightest breeze. This can, however, be compensated for by swaying your knees, but it takes time.
    3) Never practice wheelies on a bike with no rear brakes while wearing clipless pedals. This comes from personal experience. Ouch. My first full-suspension rig (a Waterford SASS for those of you who were riding back then). Hadn't put on the rear brake and took it out for a quick test ride (checking out my wicked RockShox Mag 21!), pulled a wheelie, and went over backward, bike attached. My parents came running out of the house because they could hear me scream. Bad memory, good lesson.

As for manuals. Well, I've been riding them pretty consistently for about 4 years now. Ther are two types of manuals: seated or standing. I can't go much more than 30 feet on the standing manual, partly because it's so hard to get the front end up. My best for a seated manual is probably in the neighborhood of 1/4 mile, and for regular wheelies, I eventually have to let the front end down because I'm too tired, but I'd say my best is about 1 mile.
    I'd say that starting out with seated manuals (once you can ride a wheelie) is the way to go. But instead of practicing uphill (no pedaling=not moving, right?), practice going downhill. Kick up to a wheelie as you're descending and force yourself to stop pedaling. Now the only thing you have is your rear brake. If it's a fairly steep hill, you can actually ride your brake to keep yourself from getting going too fast and also to keep from going over backward. If your front end starts to fall, give it a little kick. The manual is orders of magnitude more difficult than a regular wheelie, but is (obviously) possible, and definitely more cool! I started practicing seated manuals when I moved to Los Alamos, NM for an internship. The only form of transportation I had was my bike, and there was 7 miles separating me from my work, so I had ample opportunity to practice. It took me about 6 weeks of persistent practice to get to the point where I could ride pretty much as long as I wanted. When I got back to Montana, I eventually learned how to turn sharp corners, ride along narrow walls, etc. all while riding a manual.
    It's gonna take practice, practice, practice, but the chicks are gonna love it, love it, love it! (And your friends are gonna hate you, hate you, hate you! LOL!)

Just Ride
    i think for each person its about finding your own balance point. some people do it best when they stay real low on the rear wheel but others can do it in a very upright position. but as i belive WCH put it there is no instant secret to manuals if there were people would be riding around on one wheel as if it were nothing

mtbr remember
    you mean your bike didn't come w/ the manual button on the handlebars????

I would have to somewhat agree w/ primus. Once you get your balance point down doing wheelies, it is much easier to go downhill, and you can start practicing sitting manuals, or coasting wheelies, whatever you wanna call it. Once you get the feel of coasting while sitting down, you can just lean back as you stand up and your manualing! Just keep a finger on the brakes, and modulate them, don't lock them up or anything, just a little bit of drag to balance it out when you lean back, you can't be scared of leaning back cause it is the key to getting distance, or going over whoops, curbs, whatever. Once you get the manual down (will take awhile), you will notice you can get some ups when bunny hopping too because you lose the fear of leaning back.
    If manualing was easy, it wouldn't be that fun but once you get it you will find your obsessed w/ trying to manual everything in site - I think that's what got me stoked on biking in the first place- wheelies, manuals, stoppies, and bunnyhops
    btw- have you ever rode in a wheelchair- it is an excellent and fun way to find and get used to the feel of your balance point- I can manual super far on slight dh's in a wheelchair and spin like a top on smooth cement. Check it out, if you can find one free of super cheap, some good drunken fun.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    DO A SEARCH NEWBIE!!
    This has been asked and answered extensively.
    Jason's explanation was the only correct one I read.
    Never sit, never pedal, seat dropped, bars rotated back, short stem, stay low and far back. Lift the front by pushing butt down and back to rear tire, keep arms locked straight, finger on rear brake.
    I go miles, down stairs too.
    Regular pedal wheelies are easy and gay.

mtbr remember
    twisted- yeah the kid should've done a search, but it seems all you added to this thread was how to be cool. btw- a short stem is a requirement to manual??
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    It is all about your balance point. Once you find it on your bike you are good to go. I tend to sit down when I wheelie just because it is easier to me. I try to be alittle bit farther than my balance point and use the brake to regulate it. If I start to fall forward I just give a quick short burst of pedal and then get back to my point.

Manualing is pretty much the same, except stand up and get off the back of the bike a bit more. I also use the brake to regulate but to a lesser degree because you don't want to rob momentum. It is easier to learn manuals going down a slight hill.
    Andrew Clark
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Rogue Posse
    Broken Clothing
    Soul Cycles
    Deity Components
    SixSixOne
    - - - - - - - - - - - -

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    twisted- yeah the kid should've done a search, but it seems all you added to this thread was how to be cool. btw- a short stem is a requirement to manual??
    Yes, a short stem is required to manual, at least it really, really helps me.
    Look at the current heckler thread where I posted my small white heckler twice with two different builds. I can't manual the xc version with the long stem.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by TWISTED
    Yes, a short stem is required to manual
    be carefull there man...you could get yorself into trouble saying that...

(be in controll of your bike and ride confidently...eventually you will get there)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    ......................but as i belive WCH put it there is no instant secret to manuals if there were people would be riding around on one wheel as if it were nothing
    well, not exactly me........

see below.

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    well, not exactly me........

see below.
    damn, i knew it had something to do with you, my b... the cred goes to gonzo then

Live to Ride,Ride to live
    i can get the wheelie but not the manual even as hard as i try and even with all of the hours that i put in

DOME Freeride Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy232
    i can get the wheelie but not the manual even as hard as i try and even with all of the hours that i put in
    Keep trying - it'll happen. Trust me.

DOME Freeride Mafia

No good Fool

Quote Originally Posted by cdog117
    Too bad Bush won. Say goodbye to individual freedom, say hello to more "terrorism" propaganda, more dead troops, more dead innocent Iraqi citizens, more national debt, and an overwhelming abundance of hypocritical christian (note lowercase 'c') "ideals". Just remember, the most people did, in fact, vote for Dictator Bush, but also keep in mind that, by definition, most people are average...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus
    Too bad Bush won. Say goodbye to individual freedom, say hello to more "terrorism" propaganda, more dead troops, more dead innocent Iraqi citizens, more national debt, and an overwhelming abundance of hypocritical christian (note lowercase 'c') "ideals". Just remember, the most people did, in fact, vote for Dictator Bush, but also keep in mind that, by definition, most people are average...
    Dont start man, I change Kerry supporters minds at school all day and it really annoys me. I come here to get away from that, i geuss. Just dont start here...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

go big or go home
    Ya I agree, go to http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67 to talk on political ****...the rest of us are here to ride, not waste time on politics

DOME Freeride Mafia
    My bad. You're right about this not being the place. But given that, the original thread shouldn't have had the "for Bush" comment...Anyway, fucck politics, let's go ride!

stuntman

practice

[QUOTE=cdog117]i got a couple questions on manuals and wheelies. First no matter how hard i try i can never manual. I see all these guys in videos and it loooks so easy. Got any answers or tips??

practicepracticepracticepracticepracticepractice.. ........................
    visualise wheelies and manuals........
    dream about them
    i do.....
    GOD HATES A COWARD