manitou travis- Mtbr.com

Thread: manitou travis

GERONIMO!!!!!!!
    Dec 2007

manitou travis

Is this a good fork reliability wise?

Living the High Life
    Roll of the dice with Manitou. I had an XC fork of theirs, I went through 2 in 1 summer. The 3rd one they sent me lasted the next 3 summers until I sold the bike.

Also, I was told that Hayes is only making Manitou models this year that didn't have manufacturing problems before Hayes bought them and the Travis was one they are keeping, so that's a good sign.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Manipoo FTL
    2011 Santa Cruz V-10

2008 Giant Reign X

2007 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    travis triple will blow through cartridges very easily, but the single is much more reliable.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Curler
    Manipoo FTL
    Wow, so much information I'm 'bout to 'splode...

I ran a 2005 Sherman Slider + for about 2 seasons and it was pretty flawless. I had it rebuilt at Sea Otter in 06 because the seals were shotty. All the Manitou forks I've come across whether it be my friends, mine, or on the trail they seem pretty reliable to me.

As for the Travis, I've heard good things about the Travis. To be honest, the only negative thing I hear about it is that its made by "Manipoo", wow, awesome argument . Unfortunately, I've never been able to test a Travis cause I've never had the chance. I was shopping around for one a few months ago and there are some good deals. If you can, go for the 07 Intrinsic Cartridge or newer.

Either way the Travis is a pretty good fork. Maintou's service is stellar also, they rebuilt my Sherman from the ground up for about $30 bucks.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    As much as everyone hates on manitou I've had the best luck with them. I've had two travis's (a 150 no intrinsic and a 203 single crown with intrinsic) without a single problem. No bushing slop, no funky noises, no blown anything.

Honestly, Marzocchi has been terrible for the past year or two, just ask anyone who has a 55 or anyone with an air fork. The two Fox forks I've had blew the Talas cartridges within the first 3 weeks of riding, not to mention that their product is way overpriced. Rock Shox is pretty good, my Totem solo air and I haven't had issues yet, but apparently everyone and their brother with a 2 step totem or lyric has had problems. For the bad rap that Manitou gets (and I don't know why) I've only had good expereinces with them.

Oh, and if you're ever in the market for a rear shock, the Revox OWNS most anything out there.

REQUIRED FOR ADRENALINE!!
    I have a Travis Single 180, and its holding up pretty good man! I have the TPC+ model because its Manitou's oldest, and most reliable method of dampening. The Intrinsic Dampening is pretty good for pedalling and through tight berms and stuff; I don't know if you'll like the way it engages though. You might want to try one out prior to purchase.

The stock oil they use in the dampener sucks @$$, and you should only use it until it breaks in,( about two or 3 good rides) I re-serviced the TPC dampener with 5w Maxima MX fork oil; you can pick it fork oil up way cheap from any cycle shop... bike shops, and bike co's charge way too much for there $#!T. After re-servicing it, It feels way better than it did out of the box.

I want to redo the Dampener with 2.5w Motorex, as thats what I did with the stock M-Stance & sherman I had from a previous bikes, and it made their small- bump sensativity ski-rocket~!...

They can be great forks... but I don't think The travis is the best fork for un-knowledgable people who just want a " forget it" fork because of manitou's poor rep in the assembly Department. I think their technology is fine, its just the nuckle heads that work on assembly, that are F-ing it up for Manitou and making them look stupid.. There should be no reason why some forks blow up five minutes after install, and some forks last a life time.

For that reason, most people I know that love the Travis are true bike nuts of the sort that know how to work on them and spruce em up. I didn't like manitou's products until I learned how to manipulate the possible F-ups that came from the factory.

Hayes made it very clear at interbike that they WILL fix any and all problems that the previous owners of Manitou, couldn't... I think its going well considering.
    I'm always right. I thought I wasn't once, but I was wrong.

REQUIRED FOR ADRENALINE!!
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness
    As much as everyone hates on manitou I've had the best luck with them. I've had two travis's (a 150 no intrinsic and a 203 single crown with intrinsic) without a single problem. No bushing slop, no funky noises, no blown anything.

Honestly, Marzocchi has been terrible for the past year or two, just ask anyone who has a 55 or anyone with an air fork. The two Fox forks I've had blew the Talas cartridges within the first 3 weeks of riding, not to mention that their product is way overpriced. Rock Shox is pretty good, my Totem solo air and I haven't had issues yet, but apparently everyone and their brother with a 2 step totem or lyric has had problems. For the bad rap that Manitou gets (and I don't know why) I've only had good expereinces with them.

Oh, and if you're ever in the market for a rear shock, the Revox OWNS most anything out there.

I agree with you completely. Its just that Manitou F'd up so bad for 2 years in a row, that its really hard to get out of that slump when everyone else is doing so well. they are bringing the Dorado back for 2009. I think that will be the re-entry of critical mass for Manitou, and they will be considered as a compeditive suspension Co. yet again.. its just going to take time.

OH, and yes, The REVOX does own the Top of the podium for Rear shocks. I have quite a few DHX's and I love their performance, but I'd chuck em out the window in a second if I could replace em all with Revoxs. The only shock I've come into contact that rivals, and maybe beats the Revox is the Cane Creek Double Barrel... Completely sick shock.. . The problem with both the revox and the Double Barrel is that they are both sub - $800.00 shocks which slims their production by a long shot when Fox and Zoke are selling their most high-end shocks for half that price, and still have great performance.... sucks!
    I'm always right. I thought I wasn't once, but I was wrong.

mtbr member
    Quick Q on the Single Intrinsic 180. Is there a way to reduce the travel to 160 mm? I bought one last fall brand new in anticipation of running an Intense Uzzi VPX but the frame never materialized due to lack of interest in the last batch that was supposed to have been made and now I'm thinking of switching the order to an Intense SS and Chad at Intense says that a 180 fork on this frame will be too choppered out.

Hate to have to kick down a grand for a Float 36 RC2 as he suggests I should run just to drop 20 mm of travel when I have a brand new 07 SC Intrinsic 180 ready to roll.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Roll of the dice with Manitou. I had an XC fork of theirs, I went through 2 in 1 summer. The 3rd one they sent me lasted the next 3 summers until I sold the bike.

Also, I was told that Hayes is only making Manitou models this year that didn't have manufacturing problems before Hayes bought them and the Travis was one they are keeping, so that's a good sign.
    I thought the Travis was only going to be made for half of 08 and then discontinued when they rereleased the Dorado?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    when manitou was in valencia their cust. service was outstanding but the product seemed to suck. I evan got a friend a travis to replace his blown dorado for free. same dude ran the single crown for 2 seasons(he's no everyday rider but is fast and worked the fork), no problems at all with either travis. he did get a 36 though.

When in doubt, go faster
    I've only owned three forks, but I've ridden most of the main stream forks. All i can say is, manitou > EVERY other fork I've ridden on except the boxxer.

mtbr member
    A guy at an LBS told me the Travis Single Intrinsic 180 can hold up well if the Intrinsic damping is not set overly high and that most of the ones that blew had the Intrinsic set too high. They said back it off and it should last for quite some time.

When in doubt, go faster
    Ohh yeah, intersec has been known to overheat from stuff like riding whistler all day then going and hitting a big drop. but its still ****ing sweet.

Thunder Chunky
    Im loving my Revox but I havent ridden a ccdb or a vivid so I cant compare it to either of those but I have spent time on all the other main shocks out there and the Revox is my favorite. I havent had a Travis but I do have have a sherman slider plus that I devolved, after I devolved it, it became super plush but so much so that it wouldnt stop bottoming out. Now I have a 66 rc3 and I cant find anything to complain about on it, no problems with the QR, or anything else for that matter. It did come with low oil but hey whats new its Marzocchi lol.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by FR Joker
    I thought the Travis was only going to be made for half of 08 and then discontinued when they rereleased the Dorado?
    Could be, I just asked about this year's forks. I know they're working on a new Dorado, so we'll see what happens to the Travis next year I guess.

When in doubt, go faster
    that would suck so much crotch for the Dorado to replace the Travis.

Members who have read this thread: 0