Manitou Swinger Coil CREAKING ???- Mtbr.com
    GT.
    work hard, ride free

Manitou Swinger Coil CREAKING ???

Hi, guys.

One of my friends have a Manitou Swinger 4 way coil on his bike. I noticed that it makes some weird creaking sound when I ride it or even sit one it. We checked everything out and it turned out that the RESERVOIR itself make the creaking sound. It also trembles a bit when the shock is compressed and I can feel it clearly with my hand on it. I have never seen or heard of anything like this before. The shock is pretty new, too. What do you guys think of this? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Keep riding~

GT

Authority is dead!

no good

loose resevoir isn't good. Call Manitou, they are very friendly and will help. The worst case is that he will have to send the shock to get it fixed.
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

TNC
    noMAD man

Hmm...define creaking and trembling.

Quote Originally Posted by GT.
    Hi, guys.

One of my friends have a Manitou Swinger 4 way coil on his bike. I noticed that it makes some weird creaking sound when I ride it or even sit one it. We checked everything out and it turned out that the RESERVOIR itself make the creaking sound. It also trembles a bit when the shock is compressed and I can feel it clearly with my hand on it. I have never seen or heard of anything like this before. The shock is pretty new, too. What do you guys think of this? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Keep riding~

GT
    Why I ask that is because these stable platform style shocks definitely make more odd sounds than any other shock I've ever owned. I currently have 2 5th Element coils and 1 Swinger 4-way air. There's some work going on in there during the beginning compression portion of shock travel, and of course this usually occurs more frequently and noticeably when you're going slower or even just sitting still and bouncing the bike. In this stage of compression, these shocks definitely make some weird noises, especially on the rebound stroke from this beginning compression stroke. I've never held on to the reservoir to test if this action is noticeable to the touch, but it may be possible. A small amplitude vibration might be felt under these circumstances. Obviously if the reservoir is acutally "loose", then you have a different can of worms. Just curious, because it's often quite hard to diagnose descriptions of perceived sounds over the internet as opposed to actually getting to see or hear it yourself.

GT.
    work hard, ride free

more about the creaking trembling

Thanks for the concern guys. I should have been more specific about the creaking and trembling. It's not like the usual sound of the damping system working in any type of rear shock. It's sounds like an old wooden door with rusted hinges opening by breezy wind. Try to imagine a scene from a horror movie. ;-) And the trembling is very weak but it's definitely coming from the reservoir itself when the shock is compressed. I can't feel anything on the shaft, spring, collars, bolts, linkages. Well, he's going to call the manufacture on Monday. Well, wish him good luck. Thanks again guys. Keep riding~

GT

mtbr member

Does it creak when he rides it?

Or just when you ride it... it could be that it is set up for his weight and not yours. It also could be that the coil is not heavy enough for you/him or both of you.

Former Noob Herder
    sounds more like the damper pivots too me. I have a hard time believing a high pitched creek could come from inside someting filled with oil.

GT.
    work hard, ride free

Thanks guys

Thanks for the input guys.

dostres; It creaks regardless of the rider weight. Actually, it creaks even when I push down the bike a bit with my hands.

zedro; Yeah, it is high pitched creak. (Why didn't I came up with that words before?) But it sure comes from there. By the way, what is the 'damper pivots'?

I'll post again once we find out what the manufacturer says. Keep riding~

GT.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by GT.
    zedro; Yeah, it is high pitched creak. (Why didn't I came up with that words before?) But it sure comes from there. By the way, what is the 'damper pivots'?

the shock eyelets, the holes that the shock mounts itself to. Most of the time they are responsible for creeking.

banned

I agree with Zedro

I'll bet it's the damper pivots, too. there's probably some dust in there too, in the bushings/eyelets.

mtbr member
    Dude, i have had the same thing with my swinger. it was the spring rubbing on the shock body. check to see if there are any marks on the gold part of the shock body. I just had to recenter the spring and it went away.