Manitou Stance Static...- Mtbr.com
    banned

Manitou Stance Static...

Ok, so I got a new bike with a Stance Static. Now, I know the grease/oil thing and I bought x firm springs.

I'm gonna wait until I get new seals for the oil thing... get some Enduro seals and the oil and stuff.

Now, will this fork stand up to a 200lb rider doing 5ft to flat drops and 20ft gap jumps and stuff?

I don't have the dough to buy a new fork right now. I have $50 and with Valentines Day coming up, that's gone already. Actually, I dunno the point of this thread.

With the springs, will this fork ride good and hold up? Yes... that's what I meant.

user-created
    As far as forks go, yours sucks. But it doesn't suck so bad that you shouldn't/couldn't ride it.

mtbr member
    it won't break that easily, if thats what you mean

"ride good"= not at all. well, it depends on what you mean

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by ANdRewLIu6294
    it won't break that easily, if thats what you mean
    Yeah, it won't fail catastrophically; rather it will fail slowly over time.

banned
    Ahh I see.

So how long should I look at this thing lasting? I don't wanna have to wait 2-3 months to save up enough money! This summer, I have a chance at a job if I can somehow get a permit at 14. Working on cars and lawn mowers and stuff at an auto shop. That + mowing... should be decent amount of money.

If I do the seals and oil, will that extend the life by much?

pwn3rator
    internally i think, or with some knobs...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    On the Specialized site, it says my fork has preload adjust? How in the hell is it adjustable?

You should have a schrader valve on the top of your right leg.

Don't expect much out of it though. The stance static I have blew it's valve when a buddy of mine was riding it last week.

banned
    On the Specialized site, it says my fork has preload adjust? How in the hell is it adjustable?

banned
    so if I unscrew the top cap on the right leg, there should be a schrader valve underneath it?

No knobs scabrider! Of course, there might be preload clips inside but I have no idea.

Portland, OR
    you didnt happen to buy a speccy P.1 did you ? because it doesnt have any adjustments. but you'll be fine. mine has lasted 2 seasons, course I dont trash parts either.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Now with flavor!!
    so if I unscrew the top cap on the right leg, there should be a schrader valve underneath it?
    Yes.

Don't be scared. Go have a look.

banned
    Who's correct!!!!!!!!

Oh well, I guess I can give it a go.

V10 Freerider
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Yes.

Don't be scared. Go have a look.
    This is an OEM version with an MCU spring and no adjustment beyond preload. No air assist.

Fork mfgs should not, in my opinion, change spec on OEM products and call them by the same name.

I have beat on my 05 Static for a while now at the skatepark. With some less than smooth landings to flat. I destroyed the internals within the first month but the new seals and damper rod seem to be holding up well. The fork has shown no signs of being weak in any way. Mine is set-up with x-firm springs and the air assist with 40 lbs of presure. I am 160-170 lbs and do not ride smooth
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

www.ntxbmx.com
    Jun 2005
    I had an 05 Static Stance, if you have an 06, I don't know if this is still the case, because I think its more like the Gold Label

The preload adjustment is air assist, the valve was on the left leg on my fork, the same side the spring is in. The right leg has the little blue knob on the bottom for rebound.

If your running the X-firm spring, you don't need the air assist, nor do you want it. When they sent my upgrade they also sent a replacement top cap which looks alot like my 06 Gold Label top caps. It doesn't have air assist. Manitou said many riders thought using a firmer spring felt better than trying to manage the air system that can leak.

But if yours does have air assist and you decide to keep it don't add over 40psi, or you will lose you seal.

When I purchaced my fork I was at 225lbs, I ride street skate parks, dirt jump, and even some XC and FR all on the same bike, setup S/S. The fork will take what ever you want to give it with in reason.

The Static is a good fork, for the whole Street Park DJ Scene, but if you consider the price its a great fork.

Who's correct!!!!!!!!

Oh well, I guess I can give it a go.
    www.ntxbmx.com North Texas BMX

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    do the oil now.. shouldnt take more than 1hr to do everything

banned
    I don't have the money for new seals so I can't do the oil. I heard the oil would blow the seals.

kona-tize me captain
    why dont u see if u cant trade it in to manitou for something else
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

banned
    I dunno. I wanted to do that originally but the LBS said they didn't have that program like Zoke.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    you should be able to change the oil and not need new seals.

banned
    Everything doesn't always go as it SHOULD.

Can anyone else confirm that I won't need new seals if I go with oil? Remember, I do FR and stuff and I weigh 200lbs...

mtbr member
    with the new springs and oil etc...that you have for it, it should work fine for you for a few months or basically however long you need it. i road a stance blunt for about 6 months or a little longer and while it isn't a great feeling fork to me it really doesn't have any problems now even after countless 5ft to dead flat drops, dj's, hopping, other urban obsticles, a little DH at first, and basically everything i ever through at it. im about 165 so not too light. yours will hold up fine for the time being before you get a new fork.

banned
    So my stock seals are gonna explode in my face if I replace the grease with oil, correct?

banned
    Bump. Come on guys. I need answers. My springs are in today but my mom "doesn't feel good" and my dad had to work over. So should I have them throw the oil in or wait for new seals??

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    you dont need new seals to change the oil. the damping oil is enclosed in the fork tube via screw cap. the coil is in the other leg. the lowers hold the semi bath oil and are under no pressure. the lowers lube the outside of the stanchions. you dont need new seals. i just did a fell service on my sherman and did not need or use new seals.

banned
    Alright then. I didn't think I would but I wanted to make sure.

New project, TBA shortly
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddy_ryder
    you dont need new seals to change the oil. the damping oil is enclosed in the fork tube via screw cap. the coil is in the other leg. the lowers hold the semi bath oil and are under no pressure. the lowers lube the outside of the stanchions. you dont need new seals. i just did a fell service on my sherman and did not need or use new seals.
    Ummmm, I think that he does need new seals, as his are only grease compatible, not oil-bath compatible. Your sherman came as a semi-open-bath fork, so it had the correct seals installed originally. standard, don't listen to anyone on these boards (including me), get it from the source www.answerproducts.com. There's tech manuals there, and even a phone number.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    i looked through the manual before i posted. the entire stance line uses the same seal kit.

banned
    Well guys, the guy didn't want to do the oil thing so I got a new spring. Works much better. It still bottoms but not NEARLY as easily. Much easier to manual and bunnyhop now. Just keeps getting better and better.

Members who have read this thread: 0