Manitou rebound- Mtbr.com

Thread: Manitou rebound

GERONIMO!!!!!!!
    Dec 2007

Manitou rebound

ON my bike i have a manitou sherman and a manitou swinger 4x spv
    the rebound is really slow. I have tried to mess with the dials but its is still slow. What should my air pressure be at, I weigh 135 lbs. Is there anything to quicken the rebound.
    thanks matt

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew4president
    ON my bike i have a manitou sherman and a manitou swinger 4x spv
    the rebound is really slow. I have tried to mess with the dials but its is still slow. What should my air pressure be at, I weigh 135 lbs. Is there anything to quicken the rebound.
    thanks matt
    try checking the manitou website for the manuals. i remember seeing a weight chart there somewhere

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    the lower the air pressures the faster the rebound. I think minimum air pressure for a sherman or any spv fork is 30psi... Basicly air it up as low as possible until there's no clunk top out. Also, you could run lower weight oil and play with the shim stacks. On my Sherman Slider plus, i've built it with 90% 2.5wt KYB Shock oil and 10% 5wt Maxima Fork oil. Also played with the shim stack and removed one small and one big shim from the stack. Oilheight is at 115mm from the top to add to the progressiveness to help out with the softer feel and bottom out assist. Feels pretty darn good... XD

As for swinger rebound being slow, i've never had that problem. Just run lower pressures. I run like 65psi in the piggy back and there's plenty of room for adjustability. Also run the low speed compression fully open and the hi speed just a little nudges clockwise.

<a href="http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=31615 276">Zone Race suspension setup</a><br><embed src="http://lads.myspace.com/videos/vplayer.swf" flashvars="m=31615276&v=2&type=video" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="430" height="346"></embed>

Meh.
    You can adjust the shim stacks to make the rebound faster... not for beginners though.

GERONIMO!!!!!!!
    Dec 2007
    On the sherman is the rebound knob the red nut surrounding the air input

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    On the sherman is the rebound knob the red nut surrounding the air input
    no... that is air volume... that adjusts how progressive your fork will feel. The rebound knob is the blue dial on the bottom of your right fork leg...

GERONIMO!!!!!!!
    Dec 2007
    Please exlpain what will happen if i turn the knob clock wise or counter clock wise

N* Bomber Crew
    Please exlpain what will happen if i turn the knob clock wise or counter clock wise
    The BLUE Knob on the bottom adjusts rebound (I think its blue, mine was). I'm not sure which direction you can adjust it but it will speed up or slow down rebound.

The top red valve on the top is SPV Air Pressure, the Red Hex is SPV Volume (Bottom Out).

To ramp up the Sherman decrease the size of your SPV Volume, increase rebound on the bottom dial, and add more Air Pressure to your SPV.

Mrpercussive says that the less air pressure the more rebound, I found quite the opposite. With the lesser air pressure the fork felt really soft and spongey. Also you need at least 50 PSI in the SPV Air Chamber I believe (Or am I getting the minimal rear shock and fork air pressures mixed up?)
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Turn the red hex knob clockwise and you will make the air volume smaller and compression is more progressive. It'll also increase air pressure so use and air pump to set it up. Counter clockwise and air volume gets bigger and compression is more linear.

As for the blue rebound knob. Clockwise (when looking from bottom) will screw the thing in and make the hole smaller thus oil will travel through the orifice slower making slower rebound. Counter clockwise and you'll open it up and oil can move in and out faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Mrpercussive says that the less air pressure the more rebound, I found quite the opposite. With the lesser air pressure the fork felt really soft and spongey. Also you need at least 50 PSI in the SPV Air Chamber I believe (Or am I getting the minimal rear shock and fork air pressures mixed up?)
    The air pressure is pushing the damper close which makes it harder for oil to go through and thus slower rebound. I'm running at about 40psi. Manitou says minimum pressure is 30psi in the manual. Rear shock is 50psi i tihnk.

Thunder Chunky
    I found the same as mrperc...lower pressure produced more rebound but bottomed out too easy. The minimum pressure is 30psi for forks and 50psi(actually I was thinking it was 60 but since you both said 50 ill go with that lol) for rear shocks
    Purple Popcorn

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Here's a vid of a Mrperc tuned Manitou Sherman Slider Plus. Lively no? XD

<a href="http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=32882 174">Manitou Sherman Slider Plus. Mrperc Tuned</a><br><embed src="http://lads.myspace.com/videos/vplayer.swf" flashvars="m=32882174&v=2&type=video" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="430" height="346"></embed>

Video taken with Go Pro Camera's Digital Hero with a Ride Kit.

Meh.
    Looks like it's spiking...

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Looks like it's spiking...

Exactly what I thought.....
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    didnt feel like spiking like my old Zocchi DOT... how does it look like spiking?

N* Bomber Crew
    Looks better than my old Sherman Slider +, but thats not saying much.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    bout time i sacked up and bought an 09 Dorado...

Members who have read this thread: 0