man made transitions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

man made transitions

Im scoping a new area to ride, and it has a series of three 5-8 foot drops. While there is a hill in front of the first drop, it totally flattens at the base. If i wanted to make this into suitable drops for a bike, how do i make a manmade transition? Im thinking wood, because we have no dirt. Whats the best frame structure to hold up to to a 150 pound rider plus a 40 pound bike dropping 8 feet onto a piece of wood? Should i give up on these drops? Pic attached is the first drop, 6.5 feet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

go big or go home
    you should be fine hittin that flat landing, what are you riding here? If you want to build one anyway tho, i'd say just build it up with dirt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    be a man and just drop to flat, jj, if you do the wood transition make sure its easy to clear

go big or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard85
    be a man and just drop to flat, jj, if you do the wood transition make sure its easy to clear
    ya dude just hit it, dont spend all this time waiting for answers from us and debating and taking pics, its not as big a deal as you'll think once you hit it. I've done 7' to flat on my raleigh m50 for gods sake no joke either

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bentimby
    ya dude just hit it, dont spend all this time waiting for answers from us and debating and taking pics, its not as big a deal as you'll think once you hit it. I've done 7' to flat on my raleigh m50 for gods sake no joke either
    So have I, and i have the broken frame to prove it

My new bike will most likely be a gemini 900 or a coiler deelux.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Bentimby: dont you read the forum? a decent sized drop like that will kill most bikes. Id like to see you do an eight foot drop to flat.

go big or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw8899
    Bentimby: dont you read the forum? a decent sized drop like that will kill most bikes. Id like to see you do an eight foot drop to flat.
    it was a sandy landing, i dont know if that affects it. But it did snap my dropouts...

But this guy should be fine with a 6' to flat, and he still hasnt said the rig he has, mine only had 100mm of travel and was a hardtail

painfully ordinary
    Id build it out of 2x6 or similar material, use lag screws to hold the framing together,
    I got nuthin......

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    it was a sandy landing, i dont know if that affects it. But it did snap my dropouts...

But this guy should be fine with a 6' to flat, and he still hasnt said the rig he has, mine only had 100mm of travel and was a hardtail
    I am the guy who posted the thread

And i said, i broke the M50 in half, and now im getting either a gemini or a coiler deelux. The rule of thumb is if its taller than you, dont drop it to flat. Im 5'7.

Yo Paseo El Scream
    build it out of logs and mud, otherwise, it sorta looks from the pic like it's on a hill
    Banshee Bikes
    Honorary Member Of The 200 Club
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    ..."if i can jump it on my feet whilst running as fast as i can, then it aint worth jumping on a bike"...

mtbr member

Looks like a slight decline to me too!

I'm 6'6" and 240lbs and hit a drop about that big with a slightly flatter landing on a vp free. The way to do it is hit a four foot or so drop to flat and try and land smooth. When your comfortable with that just ride up to that drop and hit it. I wish i had the video to show you but the tourist that filmed it in Central Park never sent it to me(stupid biatch).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    its the camera angle, and the actual part where you land is totally flat. The only slope is right below the rock, 5 feet behind where you land if your going normal speed.

EDIT: can anyone give advice about building a tranny rather than analyzing the drop itself??
    Last edited by ajw8899; 01-02-2005 at 04:38 PM. Reason: obvious

north bush biker

ummm

wheeli drop it to the slope...
    RIDE HARD,RIDE FAST

mtbr member
    So u changed your mind about the bike again . Umm, just dig a hole nearby where there is good dirt and use a wheelbarrow to transport it. Any way, is that the resivior?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    So u changed your mind about the bike again . Umm, just dig a hole nearby where there is good dirt and use a wheelbarrow to transport it. Any way, is that the resivior?
    nooo, i have no idea what bike im getting, but my parents want me to get something FS so i dont break everything on it. Thats not at the reservoir, its in my town.

go big or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw8899
    I am the guy who posted the thread

And i said, i broke the M50 in half, and now im getting either a gemini or a coiler deelux. The rule of thumb is if its taller than you, dont drop it to flat. Im 5'7.
    gotcha, thats funny you broke your m50 in half, i made that 8' drop with it and all it did was snap the dropouts...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    gotcha, thats funny you broke your m50 in half, i made that 8' drop with it and all it did was snap the dropouts...
    dropping into sand is alot different than onto asphalt. Im surprised you snapped a dropout.

M50's are surprisingly burly for their price, but i think 8 feet is pushin it. Like Raleigh says:

"We recommend not doing any sort of freeriding on your M50. This bike is made for lighter duty, and we cannot encourage any drops or jumps that would not naturally occur on a light duty trail"