Mammoth over Satan's day- Mtbr.com
    Don't skid

Mammoth over Satan's day

What's up,
    OK I have decided to forego Red Bull b/c I have friends hitting the first snow at Mammoth. So the idea is to get snowboarding and mtb'ing in on the same trip, kick @ss . I am leaving Santa Barbara on Wednesday morning and don't have (no one else will be there) to be in Mammoth until Friday night, so where should I hit semi-on-the-way for biking? And anything I should know about Mammoth, I have never been. Is it possible to ride some lower elavation stuff over Halloween weekend or should I just plan on snowboarding the whole time. Any good (cheap) places to rent snowboards and snowshoes for my non-biking-snowboarding buddies.

BTW I am from Oregon, I have snowboarded b4 (Batchelor, HooDoo, Willamette Pass), its just my first time in SoCal.

And for all you Rampage goers, have fun, wish I were going but I'll tear it up with my buddies.

Bike Whore
    Jan 2004
    As far as before you get there ridding, the best thing would hitting up white mountain or lower rock creak trail. White mountain is a all day descent with every thing, single track, fire road, tech stuff and just about every thing else. You start abouve the tree line (witch might actualy have snow now that i think about it) and decend all the way down to the town of bishop.

Lower Rock Creak trail is a really tech single track about a half hour past bishop. It is usally ridable all yeah unless its a huge year. Lots of rocks, trees, and a little bit of climbing, although its almost all downhill. heres some pics of my pops and little brother from last year;

here ya go

If you want to try em out let me know ill give you directions. Have fun man, ill be there soon too cant wait to see snow again.

Ryan

Don't skid
    Damn, thats pretty rocky, but in SB we are used to that sh!t. Direction would be nice. I will be alone at the time, can it be a loop, or out and back?

Bike Whore
    Jan 2004
    Lower rock creek could be an out and back, but only if you had a xc bike there would be a whole lot of climbing. White mountain most deffently is not. If you still intersted ill pm you directions. Too bad you dont have any one to shudle for you.
    Ryan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. bojangles
    Lower rock creek could be an out and back, but only if you had a xc bike there would be a whole lot of climbing. White mountain most deffently is not. If you still intersted ill pm you directions. Too bad you dont have any one to shudle for you.
    Ryan
    I've been to Mammoth a couple of times and I don't think I've heard of White Mountain. Where is it? I'm most likely going to head to Mammoth next year and would love another ride other than Lower Rock Creek (one of my all time favorite trails) to do that in that area.

Bike Whore
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BillT
    I've been to Mammoth a couple of times and I don't think I've heard of White Mountain. Where is it?
    Well, White Mountain is the mountain to your right as you go into Bishop on the way to Mammoth. Stop before Bishop at a town called Big Pine. Theres a main highway that goes to navada there on the right. Take that about six miles until you get to a left. That road should be the way to white mountain monument. Fallow that for a while until you get to the visitor center. Go past that and fallow the signs to Silver Canyon trail. From there there is an all day desent to bishop area. It ends up at a train museum i belive or something totaly redneck. I found a map here , but dont want to spend the money to buy it from them. It is a great ride though. Well worth it if you find your self there in the summer. Unfortantly I just found out that mammoth is about to get pounded with snow, and since White Mountain is higher than Mammoth, the roads are most likely closed now. Any ways hope this helped you. If you need any more info let me know, I'd love to help.

Ryan

mtbr member
    May 2004
    rock creek is a fun trail