Mammoth During the Nationals (X-Post NorCal & SoCal)- Mtbr.com
    Stray Bullet

Mammoth During the Nationals (X-Post NorCal & SoCal)

A friend and I are planning to hit Mammoth from September 16th to the 18th. As luck would have it the NORBA Nationals will be going on at the same time. If we are riding the lifts how much will this interfere with our riding? Obviously during the races we won't be allowed in the course. How about when the races aren’t going on? Will it be so crowded that riding won’t be as fun due to crowds and long lift lines?

Thanks
    Scott

Absurd
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    A friend and I are planning to hit Mammoth from September 16th to the 18th. As luck would have it the NORBA Nationals will be going on at the same time. If we are riding the lifts how much will this interfere with our riding? Obviously during the races we won't be allowed in the course. How about when the races aren’t going on? Will it be so crowded that riding won’t be as fun due to crowds and long lift lines?

Thanks
    Scott
    That's a tough call at this point without knowing exactly what the courses are going to be. But to be safe, I would say yes, the nationals will fvck your weekend up. I would search around to check the schedule. The problem is that even though the dh races are on sunday, you may not be able to just ride some of the runs on a friday or sat. because the xc or super d events are crossing the runs you would normally be riding on (did that make any sense?) If you do go that weekend, and are not qualified for one of the real races, I would register for something like the Kamikaze or Super D. Even with reg., late fees and one day NAMBLA liscence, it's still cheeper than 3 days of lift tickets, and as long as you have a bib on your bike, the lift attendants will let you on to ride what ever is open. Don't let the crowds turn you away, the crowds are the party!! But if you just want a couple of days of uninterupted chair lift riding, and just dont want to bother with the whole circus, Northstar is just about another 2 1/2 hrs up 395. It will probably be pretty quiet up there that weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    We were up there last year for the race, my son raced. Can't imagine anyone would pay to ride for pleasure during that time. 1st, parking is crazy, unless you're there at 7:00 am, you'll be 1/2 - 3/4 mi away from the lodge (All the vendors take up the parking at the base). The days just before and the days just after would probably have 15 - 30 riders on the mountain compared to 100's during the race weekend. Now on the other hand it's fun to watch and visit with the vendors, maybe you could change your riding days & still catch some of the races.