Mammoth Bike Park 09 vs Northstar Bike Park- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Mammoth Bike Park 09 vs Northstar Bike Park

So I have ridden Northstar bike park since about 1999 or so during the summer. Maybe earlier, I am guessing the year based on the bike I was riding. And they have gotten so much better over the years. I have a blast every time I ride there, but I have never ridden Mammoth, didn't even really know they had lift access like Northstar. Is it worth it to take a weekend trip down there? I live on the Peninsula of SF.

Looking for more advanced, stunt trails like boondocks, and live wire, although not necessarily just jumps and berms, a little more BC type Shore stuff...

I am probably gonna go anyway, but just wanted to see if it was actually really good or not
    "I think it's rad, when Balls beats Natural talent" - Shaun Palmer

Professional Troll
    Well, when you think of mammoth, think rocky, blown out turns, sliding around every corner and down every steep chute, and braking bumps that bottom your fork. It's super fun though, just be ready for the rawness. Don't go expecting livewire like jump trails and well, trails with any maintenance.

Premium Member
    I love both Mammoth and N*. Either is worth a trip IMO.

Mountain Lion Bait
    I've only ridden N*. I'll be heading to Mammoth this year to check it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    Well, when you think of mammoth, think rocky, blown out turns, sliding around every corner and down every steep chute, and braking bumps that bottom your fork. It's super fun though, just be ready for the rawness. Don't go expecting livewire like jump trails and well, trails with any maintenance.
    I second that-
    Mammoth is definitely raw, the whole place is covered in volcanic ash. But they are getting better. Ive been going there for the last 5 seasons & they do seem to realize that there is a growing interest in DH mountain biking. Each year I go, I find new things that they've built out there. Its definitely worth going at least once a season, but for us SF bay area locals you cant beat Northstar for lift access trails. A mere 3hr drive to some great trails, compared to a 5+ hour drive to Mammoth.

mtbr member
    Worth the trip. Much bigger mountain. Different trail surface (think kitty litter). Some trails with great flow (especially those that lead towards the village; can't remember names now, but I think one is called Flow). Plus there's actually a fire road trail that's fun - Kamikaze! Definitely some gnar bits on the trails that go right under the main gondola. Plus, you can make a sweet road trip out of it by stopping through Yosemite.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    north star is better for jumps and short quick runs and have alot to offer in the area downiville and sum bad ass local stuff close by... mammoth long runs with weak jumps but serious natural terrain can do short runs they need more velocity(non-pedally) short runs with time spent on obstacles. techno-rock is a joke... thnks for the effort though I'll still ride it. check out lower rock creek too but on a trail-all-mnt bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0