mammoth- Mtbr.com

Thread: mammoth

i hate to ride uphill

mammoth

So since northstar is closing, this summer I will be going to mammoth. I was wondering if you guys could recommend the best trails. I obviously want to try out bullet, flow, pipeline, DC-10, Chain smoke, velocity, shock treatment, skid marks, kamikaze, and off the top. If anyone has any reviews on these trails, post it please. (AKA size of drops and jumps, steepness, difficulty compared to one another, etc.) I would also like to see some pics of these trails. Thx.

-Kyle

N* Bomber Crew
    Last I heard Mammoth is flooded with a lot of snow still....there was a lot of snow during March. (200+ inches of Snowfall).

Check up on the site often and get informed. It may not open the upper half this year.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    All I know is you'll have to wait a bit. We'll be skiing there until July 4th.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Arty50
    All I know is you'll have to wait a bit. We'll be skiing there until July 4th.

then they close early too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    http://www.mammothmountain.com/index.cfm?season=summer

"Mammoth Mountain Bike Park and Scenic Gondola Rides are scheduled to open June 24, 2006, weather permitting."

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    That's what they said last year when Mammoth had a ton of snow. This year, Mammoth got even more snow then last year so I don't forsee downhill mtn biking there till Mid-late July.

When Mammoth says they'll open June 24th, that's the trail Downtown. It's at the base of the mountain and it's a XC trail. For the gondola rides up, you're waiting till July atleast.

i hate to ride uphill
    ya, im planning on going up early august sometime, which seems like it could be the best time. did anyone go last year and ride those trails and get some pictures of them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneil003
    So since northstar is closing, this summer I will be going to mammoth. I was wondering if you guys could recommend the best trails. I obviously want to try out bullet, flow, pipeline, DC-10, Chain smoke, velocity, shock treatment, skid marks, kamikaze, and off the top. If anyone has any reviews on these trails, post it please. (AKA size of drops and jumps, steepness, difficulty compared to one another, etc.) I would also like to see some pics of these trails. Thx.

-Kyle
    Laurel Canyon.
    Access it from Sherwin Creek.
    How big are ur ballz ?
    RTW.

mtbr member
    The snow on the lower part is already starting to melt, but I would expect the upper mountain stuff will take awhile. I think by the end of July, the entire mountain will be open.

mtbr member
    Last year i was there on the last weekend in June and i skied the top in the morning and mt. bike the bottem in the afternoon. but the riding was bad it was just some XC stuff , i did all of it and had fun but would have rahter down more DH stuff

i hate to ride uphill
    can someone describe the various trails that are there or show me pics?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Velocity is fun to pin it: doudle about 15 feet at the beginning
    Chain Smoke is more like brake smoke: really tec.
    Pipeline flows:table, small doudle, small stepdown, big step down
    Flow: six foot drop at least
    Shock treatment: small drops but still way tec.
    Kamakiz: for those how like to go 60 mph on a wide road.

Premium Member
    **** son, you didn't learn enough on RM?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailll
    Velocity is fun to pin it: doudle about 15 feet at the beginning
    Chain Smoke is more like brake smoke: really tec.
    Pipeline flows:table, small doudle, small stepdown, big step down
    Flow: six foot drop at least
    Shock treatment: small drops but still way tec.
    Kamakiz: for those how like to go 60 mph on a wide road.

wow ....information boy

can you tell me about Whistler
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    wow ....information boy

can you tell me about Whistler
    Nothing I havent been there

... Stupid Bob

... what a ***...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

DH in CALI is weak right now!

I went there last year in August and they still had some snow. this year even more snow and late in the year.... so i'd say don't expect all the trails to be open until late july/early august. I went boarding there 3 times this winter, and the last time (in march) there was so much snow you could acctually drag your board on the snow going up some of the lifts. at one part of the mountain you could walk onto the snow from a third story balcony at the lodge. sooo..... lots of snow. sux for us w/ N* being closed. and if you're used to N*, you prolly won't like mammoth as much. i know i don't. only a couple trails are remotely challenging. way to much down time with all the flat spots in the trails, and what's the deal w/ the stupid F***ing shuttle. If i pay for a lift ticket I'd like to end up at a running lift, not at a bus stop that's 20 min from the lift. anyways, in spite of all my whining i'll be there this year cus i don't have a choice. I can't wait till we open up MT. BALDY here in So. Cal. it's gonna be off the chain!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wikitypooshlag
    I went there last year in August and they still had some snow. this year even more snow and late in the year.... so i'd say don't expect all the trails to be open until late july/early august. I went boarding there 3 times this winter, and the last time (in march) there was so much snow you could acctually drag your board on the snow going up some of the lifts. at one part of the mountain you could walk onto the snow from a third story balcony at the lodge. sooo..... lots of snow. sux for us w/ N* being closed. and if you're used to N*, you prolly won't like mammoth as much. i know i don't. only a couple trails are remotely challenging. way to much down time with all the flat spots in the trails, and what's the deal w/ the stupid F***ing shuttle. If i pay for a lift ticket I'd like to end up at a running lift, not at a bus stop that's 20 min from the lift. anyways, in spite of all my whining i'll be there this year cus i don't have a choice. I can't wait till we open up MT. BALDY here in So. Cal. it's gonna be off the chain!!!!
    due its better than hiking up a hill all day and you probaly didnt go on the good trails.

mtbr member
    Anyone ride DC-10 last year? It wasn't open when I was there.

IMO, Mammoth blows N* in every possible way - more elevation, more trails, more trail variety, better lifts, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    due its better than hiking up a hill all day and you probaly didnt go on the good trails.
    acctually i rode every trail except for kamakaze, and yeah it's better than hiking up a hill all day. except hiking up a hill is free.

yep
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i rode it once last summer. from what i remember it was really fun. mainly just tech stuff with a few jumps. the only stupid thing was that the trail let you out at stump alley where supposedly the shuttle is supposed to pick you up. but me and my friends sat there and watched 3 shuttles pass us by. so we had to pedal our asses up to main. dicks

Glad to Be Alive
    Nothing
    ... Stupid Bob

... what a ***...

i am telling your mom

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    don't even say mammoth won't be open until July, i've been training, well, like a mofo..

i went there last summer and must have rode off the top about twenties times...folks don't know how flowy that trail gets after the flat spot midway through...the lower half just rips...the upper half has crazy too many braking bumps and slower dudes
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by BillT
    .....IMO, Mammoth blows N* in every possible way - more elevation, more trails, more trail variety, better lifts, etc.
    half of the mammoth trails can be ridden with a beach cruiser. besides, you might as well ride a beach cruiser with almost every trail and turn being ~6" of sand....

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    half of the mammoth trails can be ridden with a beach cruiser. besides, you might as well ride a beach cruiser with almost every trail and turn being ~6" of sand....

your right, they do little or no trail maintenance, don't think they care, thier making money hand over fist up there

yeah, crazy braking bumps and sand, shoot not sand but silt
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane
    .....shoot not sand but silt
    the only crashes i had there were from that stuff. nothing like flying into a corner trying to rail it when your fron tire decides to become a shovel and dissapear underground sending you over the bars....

fun times though....

Glad to Be Alive
    the only crashes i had there were from that stuff. nothing like flying into a corner trying to rail it when your fron tire decides to become a shovel and dissapear underground sending you over the bars....

fun times though....

skid and plant

My arm hurts a little
    No pics yet so i thought I throw in a few.

couple top pics/Drop on flow/bullet rockgarden/do I even need to say!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by #1ORBUST

sweet no footer...

My arm hurts a little
    It is his best yet!!!
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

mtbr member
    It is his best yet!!!
    that is pure rampage, Bonus DVD quality action lol

mtbr member

Ya just showin off ? Some people could do that on a beach cruiser..........
    Uh Huh.
    Nice shots !
    RTW.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    whoa, bet that got real ugly looking after that frame

i hate to ride uphill
    sweet, you got any pics of velocity? I wanna see what that trail looks like.

i hate to ride uphill
    sry to bring this thread back from the dead...

I'm going up their in about a week, what trails are open and which ones are closed?

Now with flavor!!
    sry to bring this thread back from the dead...

I'm going up their in about a week, what trails are open and which ones are closed?

I'm going down there for the weekend to go skiing. Look at a trail map and check their website. They've got some open trails listed. At best lower bullet.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

i hate to ride uphill
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I'm going down there for the weekend to go skiing. Look at a trail map and check their website. They've got some open trails listed. At best lower bullet.
    biking opened on june 24th i thought

OG
    biking opened on june 24th i thought
    Yeah, but I don't think the full mountain opened for bikes (Top still has snow I think).
    (From Mammothmountain.com)
    It's finally Friday Skiers and Snowboarders!

Today we plan to operate Broadway Express, Facelift Express, and the Upper and Lower Panorama Gondola.

We currently have a 2 to 4 foot base with awesome spring conditions. The Saddle Bowl Park and Pipe are now the only terrain park open and pipe open.

Mammoth is open from 7am to 1pm in order to preserve the snow until the Fourth of July.

So I'm guessing there is still a lot of snow.

Trails:
    Bike Park trails that are open:

Uptown (Fully open to the Adventure Center starting Friday, June 30)

Downtown (Fully open from the Adventure Center to the Village starting Friday, June 30)

Shotgun

Big Ring

Lower Paper Route (Open to the top of Juniper starting Friday, June 30)

Lower Bullet (more opening soon)

Lower Follow Me (Opening Friday, June 30)

Timber Ridge

Juniper (Fully open starting Friday, June 30)

The Dragon (Ride the Dragon feature at the Roost starting Friday, June 30

-Nate

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i'd definitely call...my suspicion as well is that all the trails are not open, which means the ones you want are not open, which means you'll waste time and a lot of money to run nothing but XC trails donw low...

don't get me wrong, i'm jonesing for mammoth, but realistic to know that they make money on skiing not on bikes...so they will having skiing until the very last possible day...

i hate to ride uphill
    does anyone rememeber what time last year the upper part of the mountain (aka velocity, skid marks, off the top) opens up?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Was there last week until Friday

Before the park "officially" opened. Tons of snow up there. Snow is down all the way to lift 21 still. The only part open was the east side- paperroute, bigring, bullet, shotgun, maybe flow, of course downtown. I didn't mind I'm just a mad mom on a mtb and rode free for 5 days.

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wikitypooshlag
    everyone has different tastes. i'll take mammoth over Nstar anyday. Nstar flow sucks, jumps have flat landings. sure its rocky, but not super technical and steep, just bam bam bam. either way, whistler is 100X better than either one.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Hey #1, is that Mitch in the second to last pic on the Blue/Red Stab?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Funniest thing I've heard in a good while! lol Maybe I'll do that

Members who have read this thread: 0