Mammoth- Mtbr.com

Thread: Mammoth

Glad to Be Alive

Mammoth

How many trails are open there??? Anyone know
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    save your $ - spend it on Whistler...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by macrider
    save your $ - spend it on Whistler...
    everybody bailed on that trip.....going Mammoth this month and then NorthStar next month
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    everybody bailed on that trip.....going Mammoth this month and then NorthStar next month
    Northstar is worth going to if you live up there - but from LA? save your $ and go to Whistler - who needs a 10 hour drive each way for a few good trails?

Whistler dude

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You'd be better off switching, Nortstar then Mammoth. Nortstar is wide open, still too much snow for Mammoth. Even if they've got the gondola open to the top there would be very few trails open. We were at both last week.

mtbr member
    i'd just go to northstar. depending on where you live in LA you could make it up to tahoe in good time if you left before the heavy traffic started. i dont no about mamoth but i'd just make the drive to northstar. theres other trails in the tahoe area you could hit if you got tired of northstar.

pwn3rator
    i'll be there with nobody242424 and trek2kona from the 1st to the 5th of august98...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

Don't skid
    I'll be there from the Aug. 2nd to the 4th...ish.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by FSHFLYS
    You'd be better off switching, Nortstar then Mammoth. Nortstar is wide open, still too much snow for Mammoth. Even if they've got the gondola open to the top there would be very few trails open. We were at both last week.

thanks for the info

mtbr member
    May 2005

we got some trails!

http://www.mammothmountain.com/bike_ride/bike_park/#
    there are a couple more fun trails that are open that are not on the trail report. ie velocity and upper bullet. it seems like they are opening new stuff every couple of days. they've got like 9 people out there digging the trails out daily, and it's been like 80 all week.
    Bomb Hills, not Countries

Glad to Be Alive
    supposely they have all velocity open
    and bullit so that is all I need...

plus they have some wood built stuff????

Beyond the stars

Mammoth is hosting a . . .

freeride clinic at the end of August and the web site lists several new "freeride trail features" being built on some NEW trails.

I'm guessing the new stuff isn't done yet, or they are just working on it, but the web site says picts will be posted when the stuff is up and running.

I can't wait for new stuff and some simple 'clean up' of the existing stuff (14 inch deep pumice powder sucks to try to ride through).

Should be a good time, making the trip with a stop over at Northstar and Mammoth should give the best of both worlds.

Note: Mammoth is NOT doing that 'stay N' bike free' thing this year, so EVEN if you are staying at the lodge the lift tickets are $32 (ouch, Northstar is doing the 'stay and bike free' so you should let the dudes at Mammoth that they should continue this feature)

high school loser
    think at teh begining of august alot more trail will be open? im gonna be up there 1-5...
    member of the ZombiEKilleRSquadron
    "we kill zombies dead"

98% of all teens do drugs or have tried them, if you are in the 98% range, copy and paste this in to your signature

mtbr member
    May 2005

pumice?

the pumice just makes for softer landings....or softer crashes. just put a 3.0 on the front and 2.8 on the back. it'll be aight
    Bomb Hills, not Countries

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    Only lower Bullet was open over the 4th...no lifts were running, just a van shuttle from the village to the base. If I had paid to go ride I would be pissed off (I was skiing).

I had my bike with me so I took one run anyway on lower Bullet (never rode there before)...evidently Mammoth goes straight from mud to deep gravelly sand without ever passing through hardpack on the way.

395 Fat Tire Council
    Quote Originally Posted by MammothFreeRider
    the pumice just makes for softer landings....or softer crashes. just put a 3.0 on the front and 2.8 on the back. it'll be aight
    Velocity's in pretty good shape and bullet's almost 100% except for the rock garden up top i bet. Anyways, it's been so hot lately it'll be clear soon regardless. Kamikazee's in good shape too, you know, if you just have the urge to let'er rip at 50+mph.

Word on the street is there's four new trails coming this summer, 2 xc, 1 new dh and 1 dj course with a couple different sized booters per landing much like the terrain parks in the winter--should be tight as hell.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by SocalSuperhero
    Velocity's in pretty good shape and bullet's almost 100% except for the rock garden up top i bet. Anyways, it's been so hot lately it'll be clear soon regardless. Kamikazee's in good shape too, you know, if you just have the urge to let'er rip at 50+mph.

Word on the street is there's four new trails coming this summer, 2 xc, 1 new dh and 1 dj course with a couple different sized booters per landing much like the terrain parks in the winter--should be tight as hell.

thanks...I will give a full report next week

mtbr member
    Can't wait to hear the latest reports from Mammoth. I'm heading there in mid-August with a couple of other guys and I'm hoping everything will be open by then including the new trails they have listed on the map. The snow is supposed to be melting very rapidly on the mountain so every couple of days, some more trails should be open.

I've been to both Mammoth and Northstar and actually prefer Mammoth due to the greater variety of trails, greater length of the trails, and the greater vertical drop.

Beyond the stars

Someone say this thread is . . .

useless without pictures! (crappy picts from last year)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mammoth updated their trail report today and they are saying that Bridge the Gap, Break Through, all of Bullet, Trail Home and Chainsmoke will be open this weekend. The report also indicated that the Kamikaze Park, Flow, and Pipeline will be open on the 7/22.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by DJBiker
    useless without pictures! (crappy picts from last year)
    can you actually jump down that wood structure??

mtbr member
    That wood bridge is on the lower part of Velocity and goes over one of the other trails (Trail Home, I believe) - you could launch it with enough speed, but the transition isn't that steep so it might be a rough landing.

Does anyone know the best way to attack the triple log thing on Bullet? Do you launch the whole thing or take it one step at a time or just go around it...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by BillT
    Mammoth updated their trail report today and they are saying that Bridge the Gap, Break Through, all of Bullet, Trail Home and Chainsmoke will be open this weekend. The report also indicated that the Kamikaze Park, Flow, and Pipeline will be open on the 7/22.
    oh yeah it is 82 degrees today

DOWNHILL MAFIA
    Quote Originally Posted by BillT
    That wood bridge is on the lower part of Velocity and goes over one of the other trails (Trail Home, I believe) - you could launch it with enough speed, but the transition isn't that steep so it might be a rough landing.

Does anyone know the best way to attack the triple log thing on Bullet? Do you launch the whole thing or take it one step at a time or just go around it...
    Launch the WHOLE thing!!!!!!

---I'll be headed back from oregon on the 7th or 8th of aug., gonna hit up N* for a day or two, then if I still need a fix, I'll be stopping at mammoth also.
    i want to post more but i can't stop riding!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by JSUN
    Launch the WHOLE thing!!!!!!

---I'll be headed back from oregon on the 7th or 8th of aug., gonna hit up N* for a day or two, then if I still need a fix, I'll be stopping at mammoth also.
    call me right before...I might head up there to...I have obligations till Aug 6th then I am gone to do whatever

mtbr member
    I'll be out there from 8/13 to 8/19 with two other guys hitting the mountain. Lower Rock Creek, and whatever other local rides of interest there might be.

I'm going to take a look at that log drop on Bullet this year and see if my balls have grown enough to launch the whole thing.

mTbRider
    Jul 2005
    "I had my bike with me so I took one run anyway on lower Bullet (never rode there before)...evidently Mammoth goes straight from mud to deep gravelly sand without ever passing through hardpack on the way"

You gotta take the proper trail routes - sounds you like you took the wrong way down at the end (I did too on one run) - their trails are definitely worth riding and the staff up there is way cool. They hooked me up with free brake pads up front before realizing the master cylinder was broke and they wouldn't be able to repair. They had contaminated the old pads with brake fluid while bleeding the brake line and held themselves responsible without me saying a thing = way cool

N* Bomber Crew
    SMT, tell me when you are gonna be at Northstar, maybe we'll ride. (If I want to crap my pants again, I'll do dogbone in the Vietnam section..........)
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Now with flavor!!
    I would agree that you should reverse your plans. There's no way in hell the upper mountain including upper velocity is open right now. Maybe that mellow trail with all the switchbacks off the back side but not the front.

You'll get a lot more riding in by coming to northstar and then checking Mammoth later in the season (maybe even with some new trails?)

I'm going down there Tuesday for work and I usually ride the mountain after I'm done in the evening. I'll give a report Friday of next week.

You could jump that wood structure but it's a big flat landing if you do. I did it once and it sucked. You actually have to brake a good bit to avoid jumping it.

Logs on bullet...........link up two of them if you can and just lean back....... That's the funnest part of that course.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I would agree that you should reverse your plans. There's no way in hell the upper mountain including upper velocity is open right now. Maybe that mellow trail with all the switchbacks off the back side but not the front.

You'll get a lot more riding in by coming to northstar and then checking Mammoth later in the season (maybe even with some new trails?)

I'm going down there Tuesday for work and I usually ride the mountain after I'm done in the evening. I'll give a report Friday of next week.

You could jump that wood structure but it's a big flat landing if you do. I did it once and it sucked. You actually have to brake a good bit to avoid jumping it.

Logs on bullet...........link up two of them if you can and just lean back....... That's the funnest part of that course.
    commited to mammoth...will give a report with pictures Monday or Tuesday

Team
    Looking forward to the report.