mammmoth this weekend- Mtbr.com
    Trying a little

mammmoth this weekend

I'll be up there.
    You know where to heckle me.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Trying a little
    the message you have entered is too short. please lengthen your message to 3 characters.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    lucky bastard

mtbr member
    Where was the 3rd from the bottom photo taken? (wood tranny) Looks new.
    Craig Kelly is my copilot.Product Marketing and Product Photographer

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks
    Where was the 3rd from the bottom photo taken? (wood tranny) Looks new.

Thats the new techno rock trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    How is the Techno Rock trail? We are going to be up there this weekend, I want to check it out. You ride Richter at all?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by kazlx
    How is the Techno Rock trail? We are going to be up there this weekend, I want to check it out. You ride Richter at all?
    still wondering....looks like fun Brett....nice norman shot too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Slow Patrol
    Oct 2005
    I am a rank beginner and I think Richter is pretty easy. It is a tight winding trail through the trees. Map shows the trail as an orange single black diamond, trail marker sign shows it as intermediate. Brett did some stuff on Techorock so he can chime in on that. He was pretty stoked about it.

Trying a little
    techo rock is fully open. You can and shuold start it from the the top of stump chair. But most people don't see that line, they just start it from trail home. techn rock is my favourite run on mammoth now. I don't care what it is marked on which version of the map it's a double black diamond four down arrow type of track. A really good rider way better than me got sent for stiches on it. I went too slow over a small drop and went otb fell about 5 feet to transition landed on my ribs they hurt now. I'm stoked about it and I highly recommend it, and I plan to ride the whole thing next time I'm up which is hopefully real soon. The actual end of techno rock is the double(s) in kamikaze park.

My Bike is Bigger
    Mar 2006
    Try 13 staples, but nothing to do with how the trail was built. More with the drops dumping you out in the wind tunnel of a ski run with 20-30 mph gusts and one unlucky rock, my fault.

Definitely one of the most "freeride" like trails b/c of the drops but they DEFINATELY were not built and test run by a rider. All stunts on the trail are more than doable by an experienced person, but way to tech with little margin of error for a run that's going to see 1,000's of riders a day and people looking to challenge themselves. And not much flow if you’re asking.

If the professional trail builders at Whistler saw this trail they would loose their minds. Still, seems like a good direction for the mountain. My advice, hire someone who knows what they’re doing.
    We're not getting down, we're getting high!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    We were up there this weekend too. 3 fat dudes, one on a Soul Matador, another on a Brooklyn, and one on an Iron Horse Yakuza. I wanted to hit Richter before we left, but got wadded up on Velocity which pretty much took the wind out of my sails for the rest of the day.

From the pic, it looks like a screen capture of some vid on Flow. If you've got some, I'd love to check it out. PM me, or post it up.

I'm hoping I can get another trip up there before they close it down in September.

Chris

Trying a little

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Broke
    We were up there this weekend too. 3 fat dudes, one on a Soul Matador, another on a Brooklyn, and one on an Iron Horse Yakuza. I wanted to hit Richter before we left, but got wadded up on Velocity which pretty much took the wind out of my sails for the rest of the day.

From the pic, it looks like a screen capture of some vid on Flow. If you've got some, I'd love to check it out. PM me, or post it up.

I'm hoping I can get another trip up there before they close it down in September.

Chris
    I rode the top half or so of Velocity or so I thought and it was all sand across a traverse from skid marks and then a bunch more sand dropping down to the mid mountain station but the trail wasn't really continuous anyway. Bailed on the bottom half figuring why waste the whole run? Is the bottom half any better? I might have to check the FR dictionary for what wadded up means.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Dust Huffer that's a sweet pic. I witnessed a most entertaining exchange btwn some kid waiting to film his buddy from below. The filmer was bantering his buddy who was looking down theh drop having second thoughts. The filmer kept telling him about what a ***** he was being and that it didn't look that big from below. Then when the guy up top told his buddy to come up and give it a try he said he would in a year no problem when he has a little more experience, but the guy on the top should sac up and hit it cause he's been riding longer. Trash talkin' at it's finest

Trying a little
    I have no skills, I landed it on both wheels. I saw one guy go off too slow, front started teetering down while back wheel was still on the wood, long story short he pulled off an endo landing.

Oh, and the height of that drop measured straight down from the lip is at least 6 feet, I've got a pic to show that with my 6'4 buddy I'll have to post it later.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    nice vid brett
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by madturtle
    Dust Huffer that's a sweet pic. I witnessed a most entertaining exchange btwn some kid waiting to film his buddy from below. The filmer was bantering his buddy who was looking down theh drop having second thoughts. The filmer kept telling him about what a ***** he was being and that it didn't look that big from below. Then when the guy up top told his buddy to come up and give it a try he said he would in a year no problem when he has a little more experience, but the guy on the top should sac up and hit it cause he's been riding longer. Trash talkin' at it's finest
    way too funny...I will hit it next year when I have more experience

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by madturtle
    I rode the top half or so of Velocity or so I thought and it was all sand across a traverse from skid marks and then a bunch more sand dropping down to the mid mountain station but the trail wasn't really continuous anyway. Bailed on the bottom half figuring why waste the whole run? Is the bottom half any better? I might have to check the FR dictionary for what wadded up means.
    I'd say that Velocity from "trail home" down is fun. I didn't hit the top part because I was doubting my ability to safely check my speed after the roll in at the chair before the big drainage ruts on the flat part that precedes the kitty litter pit before "trail home". The part from there down is fun.

As for wadded up, it's not really a FR term I guess. More borrowed from MX and racing in general. When a car goes into the wall hard, it gets wadded up. When a guy racing desert misjudges the drop into a wash, he'll get wadded up. When a fat dude on a 5" bike goes over the bars hard at a good clip, he'll get wadded up Nothing too bad, but it hurts like a ***** to cough or sneeze, I started bleeding through my T'shirt this morning from some of the road rash, and my right quad and left wrist don't seem to want to work right. All that said, I would love to find a way to get one more trip in before the end of the season and hit that trail again as well as a few others.

Trying a little
    updated pick for all the flow drop haters.
    this guy is 6'4, so now you can figure out the height for yourselves.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Mammoth is cool. I hate the extreme soft dirt (i.e. quick sand) up on the top of the mountain. I'm just not used to riding it, but nonetheless...didn't like it at all. The bottom half was more fun as it was harder packed and I didn't have to worry about slipping off the top of the mountain due to the loose gravel.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Quote Originally Posted by EC99SS
    Mammoth is cool. I hate the extreme soft dirt (i.e. quick sand) up on the top of the mountain. I'm just not used to riding it, but nonetheless...didn't like it at all. The bottom half was more fun as it was harder packed and I didn't have to worry about slipping off the top of the mountain due to the loose gravel.
    ???? Think you have it kinda backwards there. The lower half is the extremely deep stuff. The upper half of the mountain is so windblasted that all the super loose stuff get's blown off and just leaves rock exposed.

Once you embrace the drift it's the most fun stuff in the world. The only thing that sucks is how spread out and poorly marked the trails are up there. That place has so much extra room between the runs they could be at near-Whistler proportions with some extra effort (well, maybe not, but sure a hell of a lot bigger).

My arm hurts a little
    Dirt is Dirt but in this case the dirt is kitty liter.

The more terrian you ride makes you a better rider. Only riding hard pack your whole life would be lame.
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

Trying a little
    I had a problem running lower PSI for surfing the kitty litter in the corners, well not with that, but then doing drops I had the first pinch flat I've had in a year. But even at high psi you get used to just letting your front tire drift/push and then have the back swing around, I was able to keep a respectable amount of speed up through most corners, different and fun.

mtbr member
    looking forward to go this weekend, plus will be taking Dave T's Highline this time not the VpFree....
    here is a vid of flow last year
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzPV7LZyzzQ

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i'll be there this weekend also. But not doing those moster drops in those pics. I didn't ride mammoth last year becuase i had a broken leg but those pics look crazy from about 2 years ago. Looks like i might have to invest in a FS bike to do all of the trails soon.

Cinchy is a cool word ok?
    Did anyone ride upper Velocity? That was the loosest half of a trail that I have ever ridden. I'm talking foot deep pumice.....

Trying a little
    Quote Originally Posted by skankinpickle
    Did anyone ride upper Velocity? That was the loosest half of a trail that I have ever ridden. I'm talking foot deep pumice.....
    never have and probably never will there's no fun obstacles on that trail that I can see

the goose is loose!
    Quote Originally Posted by skankinpickle
    yeah, it's like walking up a sandwash. but then it gets to that little chute and the speeds pick up from there for a bit.

i also noticed that skid marks is poorly marked after you get passed the Velocity turn off. i agree with some of the other posters about them building more trails, and getting a real trail crew. i appreciate their hard work, but some of the trails need more work. a trail alongside kamikaze so getting to shock treatment wouldn't be a cruse down a dirt road would be awesome. and maybe a couple more off the top of the mountain that go down to McCoy station would rock.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    updated pick for all the flow drop haters.
    this guy is 6'4, so now you can figure out the height for yourselves.
    That's definitely a 15 footer....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    cool vid. Mammoth park looks fun

Members who have read this thread: 0