Making a Leatt brace work with DH gear- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Making a Leatt brace work with DH gear

So, after a lot of adjusting and trying out various setups i've got the Leatt adjusted comfortably and held firmly in place even while wearing it with my TLD armor and jumping around like a kid on speed. With a few easy modifications to my jersey, some really good self adhesive velcro, and part of the included retention strap i've managed to get 90% of the brace and the strap to fit under the jersey without looking like quasimoto or stretching out the neck, the lower thoracic member to fit under my back plate, and can get it all on and off in a few seconds.

if anyone is interested i can post some pictures and a better description of what modifications were made

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    yes, pics would help.....

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by ban
    yes, pics would help.....
    +1!!! We need DETAILED pics.

i eat rocks
    you know everybody here are picture whores.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Sorry for the Myspace-esque quality of the photos, but school was canceled today so I'm home alone on a Wednesday afternoon.

Forgive the shirtless picture, but it's worth pointing out to those who keep saying the brace can break your collar bone that when set up correctly it comes no where near your collarbone. there is a good 1" gap and the brace is supported by the muscles of your upper back, shoulders, and chest. As others have stated in a previous threads, chances are if you break the bone with the brace on it would have happened without it.

Make 2 clean cuts to your jersey, 6" on the front and 4" on the back. best to put the brace on over the jersey first and mark where to cut before getting started, and cut shorter if anything; you can always widen the hole later. Good jerseys can be cut without unthreading or tearing, but if you are handy with a sewing machine you can always run a quick stitch around everything to be safe.

TLD armor works great because the back plate is already open on top and acts like a perfect 'pocket' for the lower member of the brace. to keep everything in place later i added some good self adhesive velcro to the inside. i used this same stuff on my swingarm all year and it never budged. you can get it almost anywhere.

Put the other half of the velcro on the lower part of the brace. the stuff i'm using has 'hooks' in only one direction so everything slides in easily but can't come out without pulling.

I installed the support strap to the front of the brace only. The rear will be held in place by the velcro.

Put armor and jersey on first as you normally would, then put the brace on. Get the back support into the back plate first (super easy actually, it's never taken my more than 2 trys) then close the brace. take the support strap and front support member of the brace and stuff it through the slit in the front of the jersey. roll up the bottom of the jersey and secure the strap around your chest. since it's on top of the armor i can't even tell it's there.

i could have cut the slit a bit higher, but this was an old jersey i used just to test out different setups.

token mirror shot #2

To take it off do everything in reverse. I can get it on and off in probably under 30 seconds total.

i tried the brace on over just a t-shirt with the retention strap set up properly (attached to the front and the back) and as pictured above with no noticeable difference in feel. despite my best efforts i can't get it to bounce around or come loose.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Very nice!!! Thanks a lot for that. I will be getting one in the spring and wondered how to make it work with armor and a jersey. Good thinking.

Bike Ninja |||
    Now we're going to need a detailed test report including if it really protected your spine in a gnarly 20' to head impact... JK

That qualifies as a product "Bought with the intention of never truly needing it"

Excellent custom work with the jersey. looks great
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

StraightOuttaCompton
    looks cool, but i don't really know if it is needed.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    You will probably only need it once.

Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    looks cool, but i don't really know if it is needed.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    wow!, good self-made review.. thanks for the pics...

Custom User Title
    Nice to see more than MXers using these now

EVS make their version of it now for a very good price. Based on appearance only the Leatt looks to be of better quality but if money is a concern then the EVS is better than nothing I think.

http://www.locomx.com/EVS-RC-EVOLUTI...neck-brace.htm

mtbr member
    very cool...im definitely considering one for the upcoming season..
    Mongoose, Division 26, SixSixOne, Oakley, Efinger Sporting Goods.

Ricky DH
    Nice job, and thanks for sharing.

Members who have read this thread: 0