Major wrist pain after Whistler Bike Park- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Major wrist pain after Whistler Bike Park

Hi everyone-

I just got back from a trip to Whistler's bike park and something must've happened to my left wrist. I didn't fall but later in the evening my wrist was sore and the soreness hasn't gone away in now 4 days. I can press underneath the pad of my thumb on my wrist and it feels deeply bruised. Has anyone had this problem before? I'm guessing it's dh/freeride related?

Glad to Be Alive
    welcome to the wonderful life of brake bumps and over riding (meaning doing a lot of runs)

takes 2 to 3 weeks to go away

Ice palms and get some gel padded gloves (specialized Bg)

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bo...FQmKaQodA1cHNg
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Ha! Fair enough.

mtbr member
    Ya mine are killin me today at sun peaks. Mind you, I'm usin all 140mm of my fox32 on my stumpy. So a lot of mine is from bottoming

Sent from my iPhone while my Heli plays with the gophers

mtbr member
    I went to the local bike park (Stevens Pass in WA) a few weeks ago on my 140mm rig and never got this pain. Granted, we could only last a couple hours because the bikes were beating our hands up. But, no wrist pain. I'll see how long it lasts.

May The Force Be With You
    I'm recovering after just one run! But I'm extremely out of shape

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Anyone ever ride with a wrist brace / compression sleeve / wrap? I might use one if my wrists aren't healed by next week, but I'm not sure how much it will help. I rode at Snowshoe this weekend and the rental fork was probably too stiff for me being ~155 lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    This was such a problem for me that I went through four different types of bike gloves... still didn't fix it, so I had to switch grips.

I now have ergo grips on the bike and they're wonderful. EDIT: But I'm not an advanced rider and I don't try to do anything fancy in the air. I'vebeen told that the ergo grips can mess up handle grabs in the air during tricks and shit.

Another thing you can try is moving your shifter closer to your brakes. Make it so that you don't have to stretch your hand out as tightly to shift into an easier gear.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Horrorshow View Post
    Anyone ever ride with a wrist brace / compression sleeve / wrap? I might use one if my wrists aren't healed by next week, but I'm not sure how much it will help. I rode at Snowshoe this weekend and the rental fork was probably too stiff for me being ~155 lbs.
    i use to duct tape my wrist before riding.....also let a little air out of tires.....not that much but a half a pound to a full pound will give you a little more "suspension"
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Life Is Short
    Whistler 2009. Wrist and lower back pain. NEVER EVER buy a used rental park bike from there, thats why theyre so cheap.
    Cheap people buy things twice

mtbr member
    Softer forks, bigger brakes. Relax your grip. Otherwise than that, more park riding!

mtbr member
    I would experiment with brake lever position, and maybe grips, if I have the wrong grips my hands get sore

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I was convinced that I needed thinner grips because my hands were killing me after a bunch of runs at Whistler. Turns out it was a combination of low compression settings and switching to squishier grips such as ODI Rogues. The brake bumps are brutal there...need all the help you can get.
    Intense 951 Evo and Intense Carbine 29