Major Bike Company has crappy warranty dept.....- Mtbr.com
    Pro Crastinator

Major Bike Company has crappy warranty dept.....

while out at the DJ's with my new titanium bike. (while on the phone with a tech guy getting jump tips) after landing a way overshot double, my frame just decided to ovalize at the headtube. what gives???

when i called the company to discuss my dilemma, i was baffled that they said dirt jumping is not covered under warranty. i specificaly said to them that there was a picture of somebody obviously jumping the bike in the air, right there on the box. this led me to believe that jumping said bike was totally acceptable.
    this was a new bike and was clearly a manufacturer defect, but they are trying to back out. what should i do????

jibber of the unjibbable
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    while out at the DJ's with my new titanium bike. (while on the phone with a tech guy getting jump tips) after landing a way overshot double, my frame just decided to ovalize at the headtube. what gives???

when i called the company to discuss my dilemma, i was baffled that they said dirt jumping is not covered under warranty. i specificaly said to them that there was a picture of somebody obviously jumping the bike in the air, right there on the box. this led me to believe that jumping said bike was totally acceptable.
    this was a new bike and was clearly a manufacturer defect, but they are trying to back out. what should i do????

what color was it? cuz if it was any shade of blue, you ought to know that blue bikes of any shade can't be jumped. now if only the BB shell was blue, then you're ok cuz that denotes that the bike was made for black diamond northshore ladder drop jibbing. now, if the jump tech guy's name was Englebert, that automatically voids any warranty that may have come with the frame, for obvious reasons. did he tell you to "pedal really fast up to the lip of the kicker"? if so, that's why you overshot the double, and too, unless you were wearing Vans Rowley shoes then you couldn't have landed one handed either thereby causing an excess amount of stress on the fourth quadrant of the headset furthermore increasing the ovalization effect proven by science and backed up by people who water tulips and fertilize daisies for a living
    Boogie down to free James Brown

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=.WestCoastHucker.]while out at the DJ's with my new titanium bike. (while on the phone with a tech guy getting jump tips) after landing a way overshot double, my frame just decided to ovalize at the headtube. what gives???
    QUOTE]You are one skilled mofo to be dirtjumping and talking on the phone with the tech dude about DJing at the same time all while overshooting a double.

No offense or disrespect, but, ummm...did ya read the "fine print" in the documents/manual ??? Dunno 'bout nowadays, but, several years ago, your warranty was voided if you raced on a certain manufacturer's XC race frame...how's that for covering yer butt ??? Heh.... I agree with you, that does suck, and offering condolences, and all...but - was your headset not tightened to specs, perhaps ??? Did you build it up, or was it LBS build - if LBS build, go to them and make them deal with it. Otherwise, it's gonna be a major hassle for you, unfortunately. What make/model bike is it, anyways ????

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004

Upset Warranty

Man that really sucks on the frame. Not sure what you should do. I would do everything you can to keep doors open with them,because right now they got you by the balls. It really pissed me off with these over priced frames. All the hype of advertising these bikes jumping and doing extreme things. Then when you have a problem doing the same things you see advertised is mags your told well you cant do that. It's like my New Rocky Mountain RMX (no problems yet) it's called the extreme bike. Look at the warranty that is only 6 months. The only way you would get it fixed on waranty if you had a problem is if you were trail riding on a flat trail and it cracked. I mean come on 6 month warrany that tells you not to down hill or warranty would be voided. Sorry for all the crap on my warranty but really all you can do is kiss there ass. Just make sure to start at the top. I would send a certified letter of your problem to the top. Make sure and put date of problem. That way you have documented your first complaint. See what happens and if no help I sure we can figure out other ways. Good Luck

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuelish
    No offense or disrespect, but, ummm...did ya read the "fine print" in the documents/manual ??? Dunno 'bout nowadays, but, several years ago, your warranty was voided if you raced on a certain manufacturer's XC race frame...how's that for covering yer butt ??? Heh.... I agree with you, that does suck, and offering condolences, and all...but - was your headset not tightened to specs, perhaps ??? Did you build it up, or was it LBS build - if LBS build, go to them and make them deal with it. Otherwise, it's gonna be a major hassle for you, unfortunately. What make/model bike is it, anyways ????
    it was a brand new Spanky Speedholer, it even had the pro model XXX 1.75 steel headset, screwed on to the proper manufacturers torque specs (adjusted for high altitude.) i built up the bike myself, but i own the lbs. but this is clearly a manufactures defect. it was shipped out with out going thru the drop-to-flat test and therefore the weakspot went unnoticed..........

FWIW- i think the guy in the picture on the box weighed more than me.

New project, TBA shortly
    I call BS.

no way a 1.75" HT would ovalize. it's the new standard designed to be 17% stronger than the old 1.5 crap they were pedaling. Now, if you'd gone for the 2.0" option you might have been fine.

oh yeah, and if you wanted to jump with the bike, you should've gotten a yellow one... they're the only ones rated for fReERiDE eXtREme (technical term).

Former Noob Herder
    it was a brand new Spanky Speedholer, ....
    dude, those are so lame. Once i got mad and threw it through the garage wall and it just seemed to of disappeared. The warranty dept. was no help as apparently complete demolecularisation is not covered, especially since theres no proof that the bike actually broke down at the sub-atomic level. A very convenient catch-22....

some people are so lame

jibber of the unjibbable
    it was a brand new Spanky Speedholer, it even had the pro model XXX 1.75 steel headset, screwed on to the proper manufacturers torque specs (adjusted for high altitude.) i built up the bike myself, but i own the lbs. but this is clearly a manufactures defect. it was shipped out with out going thru the drop-to-flat test and therefore the weakspot went unnoticed..........

NO WAY!! a spanky speedholer headtube ovalized? you're lyin, i've been hucking 3" curb gaps for a couple hours now on mine, and i mean really layin down the style and sometimes even landing so hard that my wrists hurt and it has never even thought about failing. are you sure it's the XXX pro steel headset? cuz if it's the one made from unobtainium that stuff is so gnar that it'll even ovalize a spanky huckjibber model, so check that first and foremost. and i found the best way to tighten headsets is with an air impact wrench, gets em really snug. and i saw that pic on the box, and clearly the fat dude is wearing "Off The Chain" brand socks so that negates his weight on the frame, cuz if you wear that brand of clothing you can straight huck off the grand canyon

Cynical Bystander
    Maybe the frame decided it wasn't being jibbed enough. So if it wasn't gonna be jibbed it would jiberaciously fail on you until you start jibaliciously jibbing jibtastic jibjumps on it.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

jibber of the unjibbable
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Maybe the frame decided it wasn't being jibbed enough. So if it wasn't gonna be jibbed it would jiberaciously fail on you until you start jibaliciously jibbing jibtastic jibjumps on it.

jibzactly!!

Cynical Bystander

Dude WCH, you definitely got the short end of this deal. If you would've done the smart thing and gone for the 2.0 headtube and then gone for the more expensive foam filled frame tubing along with the helium filled wheels you would've been set.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Oh, Ok...heh...serves ya right...

jibber of the unjibbable
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Dude WCH, you definitely got the short end of this deal. If you would've done the smart thing and gone for the 2.0 headtube and then gone for the more expensive foam filled frame tubing along with the helium filled wheels you would've been set.

DUH!! The Speedholer doesn't come with the option for a 2.0, the biggest you can get on there is 1.92798364283742, and held at that close of a tolerance fit is precise and failure is unheard of, especially with the steel lined foam filled frame tubes

WCH, I bet you had the new RockShox Boxxer Bigfoot single crown 12" for on there too didn't ya? no wonder it ovalized

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by 2stepDH
    Titanium frames are made for XC use only. Not for dirtjumping or freeriding.
    no, this titanium has a gelatine core matrix which should make it suitable for that use.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Obviously

Titanium frames are made for XC use only. Not for dirtjumping or freeriding.
    go to WWW.NJDIRT.COM

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, this titanium has a gelatine core matrix which should make it suitable for that use.
    Not to mention its titanium bolts that bolt the tubes together for lightness and portableness
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

ohhh

I had no idea. My bad.
    go to WWW.NJDIRT.COM

Absurd
    Just get a fork with an oval steer tube. Problem solved

DUH!!!!

You guys are a bunch of TROLOS!!!

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    You can do like I did when Intense didn't warranty my frame. I bought a SC Heckler(way better trail bike), told everyone I could that Intense refused to warranty my frame even though it was only one week out of warranty.

When it came time to build up my big hit bike, I went with Foes and when people ask me about that bike, I tell them about how I got screwed by Intense.

Do I hate Intense? No. Crappy warranty service and horrible customer service have lead me elsewhere(Foes and Santa Cruz).

Just my two cents.
    PipeHittersUnion

e.thirteen,EVOMO,IntenseCycles,Maxxis,ODI,SDG,661

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by J_B
    You can do like I did when Intense didn't warranty my frame. I bought a SC Heckler(way better trail bike), told everyone I could that Intense refused to warranty my frame even though it was only one week out of warranty.

When it came time to build up my big hit bike, I went with Foes and when people ask me about that bike, I tell them about how I got screwed by Intense.

Do I hate Intense? No. Crappy warranty service and horrible customer service have lead me elsewhere(Foes and Santa Cruz).

Just my two cents.
    Now there's a reason that you should read the thread below by L_8_IT_Up about his horrible 888. Your warranty was expired and they didn't have to help you. Just sayin...
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

oh god stop already.....

You guys are killing me! Leave the poor puppies alone!

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    True. True. They didn't have to help me and I knew that. One week though? Give me a break. When you are paying $1850 for a frame, I shouldn't have to deal with crappy warranty and customer service. My friends who owned(emphasis on the "owned" ) Intense's had the same problems trying to get anything from them. I went to a few bike shops in the area and they had to deal with the same crap too.

Shoot, when I called and asked if they had any stickers for sale they said "no, we don't have any, we just have prototypes." My response was "that's funny because you sent me some a month ago." The guy told me that he had no idea who sent them but I shouldn't have even gotten any.
    PipeHittersUnion

e.thirteen,EVOMO,IntenseCycles,Maxxis,ODI,SDG,661

Pro Crastinator
    True. True. They didn't have to help me and I knew that. One week though? Give me a break. When you are paying $1850 for a frame, I shouldn't have to deal with crappy warranty and customer service. My friends who owned(emphasis on the "owned" ) Intense's had the same problems trying to get anything from them. I went to a few bike shops in the area and they had to deal with the same crap too.

Shoot, when I called and asked if they had any stickers for sale they said "no, we don't have any, we just have prototypes." My response was "that's funny because you sent me some a month ago." The guy told me that he had no idea who sent them but I shouldn't have even gotten any.
    enough about your intense already. we are talking about a top-of-the-line Speedholer here.
    i was on the phone with a tech when i broke it. if this isn't clearly thier fault, i don't know what is

sponsored by Kotex
    Jan 2004

DUDE i would be pissed!!

enough about your intense already. we are talking about a top-of-the-line Speedholer here.
    i was on the phone with a tech when i broke it. if this isn't clearly thier fault, i don't know what is
    is it the speedholer HT 3.0 wtf69?
    those things break anytime you get them near phone lines...
    or were you on a cell phone when she snapped?
    the EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO SOMEONE ELSE! some thing to do with the type of steel they use, I think it's 4225 series cromo right??

(now's when everyone who has a speedholer starts freaking out )

good luck WCH!

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVERHUFFY
    is it the speedholer HT 3.0 wtf69?
    those things break anytime you get them near phone lines...
    or were you on a cell phone when she snapped?
    hmm, i think your onto something. Gelatine core matrices in Ti structures are sensitive to EMF signals. Its possible the cell carrier wave matched the matrix cores natural frequency, and the resulting amplification altered the crystaline structure weakening the material leading to an ovalisation. Its all quite simple really...

V10 Freerider

What size tires were you running and

hmm, i think your onto something. Gelatine core matrices in Ti structures are sensitive to EMF signals. Its possible the cell carrier wave matched the matrix cores natural frequency, and the resulting amplification altered the crystaline structure weakening the material leading to an ovalisation. Its all quite simple really...
    Were you running a snoflake pattern? Cuz I heard that with 24s with 3.0 tires on snoflake pattern laced arrow rims are so strong they transfer all energy to the headtube thereby cuasing the ovalizing failure.

Also,
    You can buy One of the new Oval headset inserts and convert that 1.75 HT to 2.0
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenschwinn
    Also,
    You can buy One of the new Oval headset inserts and convert that 1.75 HT to 2.0
    make sure you apply the inversion cream before installation...

V10 Freerider

Allrightythen....

Quote Originally Posted by I_8_It_up
    Maybe you could of gone for a slice of D!ck head pie, along with the rest of these guys. Do you all hang out at the same taco bell? I think I saw all your mom's slangin their @ss out on main st. last night, does this constitute for ya'll's stupid Fvcking attitude or are you just that lame?

The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    hahahahahahaha ROTFLMAO this is the funniest thing i've read here in a while!!

Hey, maybe when the cell phone turned on... the fork steerer tube's molecules started vibrating at 880hz like cell phone waves, heated up, and expanded JUST when you landed... yea thats defenitely it, i dunno wat u fools are talkin about.
    ;-) ride on.. good luck with warranty. a torch to the company works wonders... or get a banshee... 10 year warantee on everything..... even crashes, but i dont think u could break one.
    im K2bikeman.. but u can guess why i i changed my name :)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheebikeman
    hahahahahahaha ROTFLMAO this is the funniest thing i've read here in a while!!

Hey, maybe when the cell phone turned on... the fork steerer tube's molecules started vibrating at 880hz like cell phone waves, heated up, and expanded JUST when you landed... yea thats defenitely it, i dunno wat u fools are talkin about.
    That's pretty damn close to what happened!

Hey WCH, I told you not to keep that thing on vibrate mode you fool!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

No coast freeride.

***important Tip****

Don't tell them that you are West Coast Hucker. The sheeeot you do, I wouldn't warranty crap for you either!!!
    Rock Pounder Racing

Sponsored by porn.

Steelheads for sale! Trunk of my buddies car at the corner of Colfax and Mississippi, or email him at [email protected] It's a freakin bargain!! (If you make your own bolts)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Intense warranty hasn't been that bad atleast for the kid i know, he goes pretty huge wipped out a big tailwhip landed it a bit sidways and twisted the rearend on his intense Tazer, they warrantied it np. Got it back he landed a bit sidways again within the first 4 days getting it back and twisted it again lol they once again warrantied it the guy is no hack either he's sponsored now by several companies.