Made my own Box Giude- Mtbr.com
    No Fear

Made my own Box Giude

Well I have always liked these works. Specially when it comes to the internals of suspensions.
    I have made some modifications on Manitous Marz and Fox . Posted one of them when I converted a Vanilla R to a DHX 3.0 . Hmm well not completely as DHX has some orifices in the oil channel on the chamber entrance .

Never mind this time I made my self a Box guide . I used my F. derailleur to prevent chain loss and it was working so well for a year . But now I realized a chain guide has some other duties too. Tightening the chain to hold up the whole drive train . I wanted to buy a Truvativ Box guide .

Some ideas came into my mind :-- I need my bash guard so I have to open up the front plane of its upper guide – I even have to modify the pulley to keep it off the bash ( cut one of its sides to a smaller diameter)—after all I don’t actually need the upper guide my derailleur is doing the job perfectly ( I set the lower retention screw) I only need the lower pulley hanger. So I made it for my self .

The good point it that I could modify it any way I liked .I made the pulley rail guide a Cm longer to fix the pulley further than the bash ! also gave the pulley 6 mm of lateral play to adjust with cog changes . a steel plate to hang the pulley ‘ a Teflon pulley and a brass bosh cost me 35 bucks and a local machine work shop made id for my with in 24 hours.

I havnt tested it yet but my chain don’t run on the big cog smoothly . Gona fix that too.

What do you think ?? i always liked it thise way . While other pose with components i do it with my idea !
    Attached Images Attached Images

oh Jolina!!!
    what's stopping the guide from spinning around?

mtbr member
    Nice!
    You have officially moved into "LEGEND" in my books
    You really have an ingenious way of doing things
    congrats Saber!
    May wanna clean the bike though...

Its got what plants crave
    It doesn't look like the rubber wheel is actually touching your bash guard. Might want to adjust it so that it just barely touches.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    that would be a bad idea. those parts are never round enough for contact and it would create drag. yould end up with a bent and slow system that wears prematurely. vey close is close enough.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

GAME ON!
    yeah, except his exchange rate is 0.000119 against that price
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    that would be a bad idea. those parts are never round enough for contact and it would create drag. yould end up with a bent and slow system that wears prematurely. vey close is close enough.

The instructions on my Stinger say that it should just barely touch the bash guard.

Mi vida es bueno
    sweet.

mtbr member
    I really think that mtbr should have a DIY link for all these sick ass DIY bike fixes people come up with, any one remember the tide container turned rear shock mud flap?
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

Meh.
    It doesn't spin because it's sandwiched between the bottom bracket and the frame.

It's not really a new idea... and there are plenty of other people that have made their own guides as well.

But props.

No Fear
    I think its like not everybody liked my idea. No matter i tested it today on the trail and it worked perfect.

By the way whats a DIY link??

Premium Member
    DIY = Do It Yourself

He's saying there should be a thread for homemade parts on this site.

Glad to Be Alive
    very cool
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Big ups - njoy!!

mtbr member
    Nice work Saber

Now go wash your bike

mtbr member
    Cool. I made myself a guide a about a year ago. It's still going strong. Nice work.

To anyone who says I need to be running the pulley in tighter to the rings, I am now. Those pictures were right after I first put it on, and I hadn't really gotten the setup worked out yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    been making my own parts for cars, bikes, motorcycles and lawn mowers for over thirty years. much more fun then buying them.
    you can see my home brewed roller set-up in this pic:

heres my latest lawn mower repair:

Quote Originally Posted by EDizzleVR6
    any one remember the tide container turned rear shock mud flap?
    nope. sounds stupid. the guy must be a moron. i mean a real chump.
    No, I'm NOT back!

yeah, uh............bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy Jim
    been making my own parts for cars, bikes, motorcycles and lawn mowers for over thirty years. much more fun then buying them.
    you can see my home brewed roller set-up in this pic:

heres my latest lawn mower repair:

why did you remove a perfectly good bent rod, straighten it, and then install a broken one??

oh Jolina!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish
    why did you remove a perfectly good bent rod, straighten it, and then install a broken one??
    i saw wat you did there... hahahahahah

ready to ride
    I really think that mtbr should have a DIY link for all these sick ass DIY bike fixes people come up with, any one remember the tide container turned rear shock mud flap?

I agree, every time you look in a mag there somthing good to try we should get mtbr to start one.
    N* = <3 <3]

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I love that home made stuff.When a custom part "disappears" when you are riding you know you got it right.keep it coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    The instructions on my Stinger say that it should just barely touch the bash guard.
    ive run e-13's, gamutt's, mr dirt's and heim's. not 1 asked for contact and id say for good reason. i did check out their tech sheet and yer right so maybe blackspire assumes all things are perfectly round and will stay that way in the real world of mtb. on top of that, in the roughly 100 stingers ive seen, not 1 was set up with contact despite the instructions. most tensioners/guides are set up with aprox 1/16" - 1/8" of gap for the reasons i mentioned before. ya may wanna follow suit and keep yer parts alive.
    No, I'm NOT back!

bike rider
    Hey Crazy Jim, what's with your rear brake?
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    a newer issue of BIKE has a pretty sweet DIY section in it. like how to make a 450 lumen lamp out of $100 of radioshak bits

_
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    Looks like he made his own Floater assembly.

sounds dependable.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Excellent idea. Maybe it will catch on, more people will do it and will thus cause MRP and Hussefelt will stop charging and arm and a leg for a simple cut and drilled piece of metal. Box chain guides should cost no more than $50...for the whole assembly.
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

mtbr member
    THAT BIKE DOEN'T HAVE DISC BRAKE TABS. iTS A WAY TO HAVE DISC BRAKES THE ARM TRANSMITS THE BRKING FORCES TO THE CHAIN STAY

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I keep bending my stinger! I got used to hitting rocks as hard as I wanted before I got a chain guide.I've thought about a skid plate like a motor cycle but I'm trying to save weight .I ride an 05 Reign .Any ideas aside from not being a hack?

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    Cool. I made myself a guide a about a year ago. It's still going strong. Nice work.

To anyone who says I need to be running the pulley in tighter to the rings, I am now. Those pictures were right after I first put it on, and I hadn't really gotten the setup worked out yet.
    Pure home made or hack-in-custom?

That looks sweet, would like one like that myself!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Banzai
    Pure home made or hack-in-custom?

That looks sweet, would like one like that myself!
    Pure homemade, except for the roller which I jacked from a Stinger. I CNCed the backplate and bash myself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    figured since I had a Brake Therapy unit gathering dust in the garage I would build my own floating brake. That is the first iteration before I figured out that the rod needed to be attached to the seat tube not the swing arm. For some reason I could not find the pics for the finished product. I used the BT set-up on a late ninties Jamis Dakar that had no caliper tabs. Later on I built a custom mount for the caliper thats why the BT unit was no longer being used.

Members who have read this thread: 0