M9 ... Driver8 ... Dare?- Mtbr.com
    May The Force Be With You

M9 ... Driver8 ... Dare?

i love my Straight 8 but it might be time for an upgrade... i'm eyeballing these 3 and looking for thoughts.. i'm not into hucking and big jumps but i love steep technical stuff... i'm leaning towards the M9 just a tad more then the others.. i like the M9 & Dare's 4link suspension. the Dare and Driver have a lower bottom bracket. the M9 and Driver have grease zerks on the swing arm linkage. i like that the frame of the M9 is adjustable too. the straight 8 is still alive and kicking but getting something new would be a nice change
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi
    '08 Toyota FJ Cruiser / Facebook: NyNomadFJC

mtbr member
    The M9 is one of the sickest frames you can buy. It seems to be in another class than the other frames you're looking at. Get it dude!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Shackleferd View Post
    The M9 is one of the sickest frames you can buy. It seems to be in another class than the other frames you're looking at. Get it dude!
    I've got to agree with you. The M9 is arguably the most coveted dh frame currently available. I"m not sure about the Ellsworth (brand new frame, brand new idea from the company) but it is definitely in a different league than the Driver 8 is. If you want to compare Santa Cruz, I'd suggest the V10 would be more fitting but would still go with the M9.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

It's carbon dontcha know.
    If you decide M9, go-ride have a great deal on the M9 and a 40 at the moment.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

good deal.. thank you guys
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi

mtbr member
    M9 has more sag so it probably rides lower than the other two bikes. But the M9 stands out among those bikes. I would go on a limb and just say flat out superior. Especially if you're not a racer and you want race bike technology that can be adjusted to benefit the average dude riding on the mountain. M9's a sick bike!
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

Glad to Be Alive
    Bikes nowdays are way better then your old bike....one thing you will notice right away is how easier they are to pedal. The difference between the suspension of an M9 over your single pivot (faux bar) will be immediately felt. You will ride faster and trails will feel smoother

Here is my M9.,....38lbs and 9 oz....ask a couple of people in Utah who have rode the bike(climbingbubba and wasea04) ...they will tell you the bike pedals like a AM bike but is plush plush plush).

I run it in full 9 1/2 travel setting....no need to run 8 1/2 setting because it pedals so well...also you can change head angle to what ever you pretty much want.....one thing I like to point out is the wheelbase of 48 inches (insane)......it feels like you are riding slow but in reality you are really moving fast because it is so staple at high speeds.

furthermore I personally got rid of my M6 because I banged to many things with the lower bottom bracket ...I think the M9 is perfect bb height...

If you buy an M9 ....pay the extra money and get a crane creek double barrel....worth every penny. .I just need to dial my rear shock in better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M9 ... Driver8 ... Dare?-imag0009-1-.jpg  

the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    that bike above is wack!

this one here is better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M9 ... Driver8 ... Dare?-photo0031.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Don't think the D8 is an option.........pretty sure it has been discontinued!

Now with More Wood
    Those 2 (D8 and M9) are very different bikes. The M9 is a speed machine, pretty much a DH race bike right off the shelf. The D8 is meant to be a versatile FR bike, climb up, bomb down kind of thing (which never got unanimously good reviews BTW...). If you're choosing between the 2, you might need to decide what it is you want from the bike first. Then, as others have pointed out, you can build a shortlist of similar bikes, and THEN pick the "sickest" one... (i.e. if it is a slack and fast DH racer you want, then M9, V10, Makulu, Mondraker Summum, DHR, etc)...

mtbr member
    is the M9 like the M6 regarding maintenance?

bearings getting loose and everything falling apart?
    17' Canfield Jedi 27.5" - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

banned
    Sep 2011
    M9s are very swell. I have never ridden one but they look simply dashing. I've heard very very very good things about Dares as well, but they are less popular so theres not as much info out on them....

mtbr member
    the m9 is adjustable enough that you can make it lower and slacker than the others before you sit on it. i run mine in 9" travel, middle g3, middle progression and slacked out with the angleset - before sag it sits around 13.7bb with a 63 head angle... it rips sooooo hard - ive found that i go into things silly fast and then kinda wait for it all to go wrong...but it never does... bunch of my friends rode my bike and crashed alot because they went into things way faster than they were expecting and couldnt quite handle it - it definitely makes you feel slow, the bike almost begs you to get your lazy butt in gear and giver

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by hozzerr1 View Post
    that bike above is wack!

this one here is better.
    really?? who's is lighter, pedals better??? Yep mine....and see if I help you out with anything again
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Perpetual Hack
    Bob, that can't be your bike - no Pirate stickey...

What gives?

michael

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    sweet rides...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    Bob, that can't be your bike - no Pirate stickey...

What gives?

michael
    working on it

humber river advocate
    here's mine, awesome fast bike. though i've shortened up the wheelbase and steepened the head angle for the type of riding in my area.

broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

ya'll are making my pants wet with all this M9 talk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah it's time to get rid of that pull shock relic you call a bike lol I wouldn't buy ellsworth simply because I've read some nasty things about the owner, but his ict suspension platform is pretty good from what I've read. As far as the d8, like was previously said it never got unanimously good reviews. Can't go wrong with the m9, but I would look into someo other options as well. I.e. DHR, podium etc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by csermonet View Post
    I wouldn't buy ellsworth simply because I've read some nasty things about the owner
    Anthony Ellsworth? What nasty things have you read?
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

^ lets save that for another thread please
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm a Turner guy, but I would have a hard time deciding between an M-9 and a DHR. Go with a M-9 if Downhill riding is what you are planning. The Dare seems like a freeride stead while the Driver 8 is a park bike. Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    ^ lets save that for another thread please
    Good call. I don't mean to hijack or start something else. I just think that to make such a statement without support is irresponsible.

By the way, when are you looking at making a move?
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

as soon as i find out if i'm getting a divorce from my wife..i mean Firehawk.. mid Oct / beginning of Nov. time frame maybe
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi