M3, Raceface X-Type, MRP system3, compatibility???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

M3, Raceface X-Type, MRP system3, compatibility???

Has any one successfully installed a RACEFACE X-Type external barring, bottom bracket (or like bracket) on to an Intense M3, with a MRP system 3 chain guide with out having to grind on the frame or parts?

LT1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No but I have a Tazer with an ISCG MRP

And I had to machine the boomerang a bit where the boomerang covers the main pivot bolt.

I am running a Slalom System 1, which is kind of tricky to mount. I had to use a 118mm BB, but this is not an ideal set-up. A System 2 or System 3 would have worked better. I did not remove any material from the swingarm to allow the inner plate to fit.

If you are having interference problems with the swingarm and the boomerang, you may have to machine the boomerang to make it fit. This is not uncommon, I recall that some machining was required to fit boomerangs on M1's, I think. You don't have to or should remove so much material that it will make the boomerang weaker or un-useable.

As far as the X-Type goes, I don't see any issues with it fitting. I do have an X-type Raceface crankset but it is not installed on my Tazer. Since it comes with the ISCG mounting ring, it is compatible with this. Also, it will accept boomerangs in place of this and mine looks like it would work on my Tazer. Don't think there will be any issues there.

In general, any MRP System may need some machining to fit certain bikes. This isn't unusual or uncommon. Try to avoid having to machine the frame, machining the boomerang is all that would be necessary or all that should be done.

Glad to Be Alive
    Please post some pics of the M3
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1
    And I had to machine the boomerang a bit where the boomerang covers the main pivot bolt.

I am running a Slalom System 1....
    That's because you didn't have the right tool for the job. System 1 is for elevated stay bikes, the System 2 is what you should've used. The System 3 will fit as well, but probably wasn't around when you built your tazer.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Aside from any fitment issues between the M3 and X-type cranskset, you should have no problems installing a System 3 guide. It can mount either ISCG or under the BB, provided you buy the BB adapter.

Should be a sick bike when it done by the sounds of it. Post up some pics when you get it built. Good luck.

LT1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks for the advice Red

Quote Originally Posted by red5
    That's because you didn't have the right tool for the job. System 1 is for elevated stay bikes, the System 2 is what you should've used. The System 3 will fit as well, but probably wasn't around when you built your tazer.
    No, really ? Gee, thanks for the help...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=70269

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    No, really ? Gee, thanks for the help...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=70269
    Hey now, don't get all offend at me just because your a [email protected] JK

I just thought it relavent to post why you had issues, so wyomtnbikingsaint doesn't get the wrong impression about MRP guides. I mean obviously not everyone knows, that different MRP Systems mount up to different bikes (just read your post), wouldn't you agree???

LT1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Oh, no problem

Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Hey now, don't get all offend at me just because your a [email protected] JK

I just thought it relavent to post why you had issues, so wyomtnbikingsaint doesn't get the wrong impression about MRP guides. I mean obviously not everyone knows, that different MRP Systems mount up to different bikes (just read your post), wouldn't you agree???
    I know, I needed some New Years conflict - it's been, like, a whole year....

I usually do read my posts before I submit them, I don't like giving misleading or wrong advice. You should see what I say when people recommend using WD40 to install grips - I totally slay them (BTW for newbies, this is not recommended - when getting new grips, use ODI Lock-Ons). I didn't make the point firm enough that a System 1 is not recommended in this application, I did indicate that a System 2 or System 3 would work better. However, even System 2's are prone to machining on the boomerang but for swingarm issues, not the pivot bolt.

Now, be careful, the Mini-Me only comes in System 1, and I if was using a 34T or smaller (likely for a Tazer), I would have had no choice. Of course, the plates are smaller so a 113 BB would probably have worked. 118mm is not excessive for this bike but it is certainly not ideal. Also, I am using an old real BB with like +/- 6mm chainline so I can get the inner plate within 0.5mm to 1mm easily.

And, as everyone knows, the Mini-Me boomerang is the same for the Slalom System 1 boomerang....

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    I know, I needed some New Years conflict - it's been, like, a whole year....

I usually do read my posts before I submit them, I don't like giving misleading or wrong advice. You should see what I say when people recommend using WD40 to install grips - I totally slay them (BTW for newbies, this is not recommended - when getting new grips, use ODI Lock-Ons). I didn't make the point firm enough that a System 1 is not recommended in this application, I did indicate that a System 2 or System 3 would work better. However, even System 2's are prone to machining on the boomerang but for swingarm issues, not the pivot bolt.

Now, be careful, the Mini-Me only comes in System 1, and I if was using a 34T or smaller (likely for a Tazer), I would have had no choice. Of course, the plates are smaller so a 113 BB would probably have worked. 118mm is not excessive for this bike but it is certainly not ideal. Also, I am using an old real BB with like +/- 6mm chainline so I can get the inner plate within 0.5mm to 1mm easily.

And, as everyone knows, the Mini-Me boomerang is the same for the Slalom System 1 boomerang....
    werd up! Actually conflict is the only thing I'm trying to say away from on these boards this year. Last year was brutal!!!

You didn't specify it was a mini-me. I can see now why you had a problem. Didn't mean to seem like I was busting you weyvos.

Anyhow, I don't know anyone who rides DS or MTN X and uses a mini-me, so it never occured too me. Most of the guys I ride with that do DS and MtnX use a Slalom Guide (mostly System 2's) with 36 or 38 tooth rings. No big woop, it's all good.

Just trying to keep the n00bulars informed.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    I had to use a 118mm BB, but this is not an ideal set-up......
    Do you have any issues with the 118mm BB? I tried to install a 118mm on my M3 tonight, but the non-drive side is hitting the rear triangle. How did you get yours to work?

LT1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

...no issues...

Quote Originally Posted by hbfrdh1
    Do you have any issues with the 118mm BB? I tried to install a 118mm on my M3 tonight, but the non-drive side is hitting the rear triangle. How did you get yours to work?
    ...but I had a Tazer, not an M3. And it uses a Real 118mm BB with Shimano M900 cranks (all square taper stuff, and yes, early XTR came in square taper). There was lot's of room, although (I've read/heard) early Tazers had to use wider BBs to clear the swingarms.

Is the M3 a 135mm rear axle or a 150mm rear axle ? What kind of cranks did you install ? Raceface X-Type ? The BB shell should be 68mm, have you got the correct width BB ? If you are using a Raceface X-Type did you include the spacers ? A 150mm rear might need an even wider BB, I don't have a bike with a 150mm rear end (yet - it's on order).

You might want to post on the Intense forum as well if you are having installation/fit issues but this is kind of weird. I would not have expected this on an M3, usually the Intense installations are straight forward. There is at least 1 guy from Intense that "lurks" on that board if you need help if it is really not going together.

Sorry, can't be of much more help than that. Maybe indicate what BB and cranks you are using.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    I saw the post on this thread for the 118mm spindle, but I'm not using RaceFace. I've got a Truvativ GigaPipe Team DH BB 68 x 118 with Truvativ Holzfeller cranks and pedals. I called Intense today, and they are aware of this problem. They said that for 135 rear spacing, they currently are grinding down the end corner of the cranks on the team frames. Shimano is going to come out with a 123mm spindle later on this year, and that will correct the problem. Sounds like a design flaw to me, but I'm still happy to have the frame; I know other people have had to do modicifations to use specific parts in the past.

I'll post pics when I have the whole thing together and some action shots.

LT1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

...just remember...

[QUOTE=hbfrdh1]Shimano is going to come out with a 123mm spindle later on this year, and that will correct the problem. Sounds like a design flaw to me, but I'm still happy to have the frame; I know other people have had to do modicifations to use specific parts in the pastQUOTE]

...Shimano BBs are not ISIS compatible. Truvative does make a longer (like 123mm or 128mm) DH BB as well.

Glad to Be Alive
    my buddy is trying it right now and the bike shop is clueless. Let me know if you get er done.

he is using a saint
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    [QUOTE=LT1]
    Shimano is going to come out with a 123mm spindle later on this year, and that will correct the problem. Sounds like a design flaw to me, but I'm still happy to have the frame; I know other people have had to do modicifations to use specific parts in the pastQUOTE]

...Shimano BBs are not ISIS compatible. Truvative does make a longer (like 123mm or 128mm) DH BB as well.
    Yeah, I spoke to Intense and they said the same thing. They said they are aware of that situation, and what they're doing on their team frames is grinding down the end of the crank arm that comes into contact with the rear triangle. Truvativ makes a 128mm, but I haven't heard of them making a 123mm.

Glad to Be Alive
    Yeah, I spoke to Intense and they said the same thing. They said they are aware of that situation, and what they're doing on their team frames is grinding down the end of the crank arm that comes into contact with the rear triangle. Truvativ makes a 128mm, but I haven't heard of them making a 123mm.
    how sucky is this....maufacture doesn't know what will work

Members who have read this thread: 0