M3 or Demo8- Mtbr.com

Thread: M3 or Demo8

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004

M3 or Demo8

I currently ride a 2003 Giant DH Comp. I've been getting heavily into racing, and I ablosutely love the way my Giant handles. The only problem is that the size large frame weights about 14.5 pounds (that weight is from a Giant retailer who got that info from Giant) and i have skinny legs, so I decided to get a new frame. After doing much research, I decided to get an M3, as it weighs 10.8 pounds and the grometry seems to fit me right. IMy delivery date on the M3 has been pushed out like 3 times already, but since I'm getting some "extras" with the frame from my LBS, I've been patiently hanging in there. The current E.T.A. on the frame is late-January to mid-Februrary

I've now got the opportunity to buy a Demo 8 at a rediculous price; I can't say exactly how much because it wouldn't be proper if you know what I mean. I can get the frame in Februrary, and I'm talking about the one with the Fox DH40RC or whatever the heck they call their top-of-the-line DH fork. The geometry looks pretty good, and the frame will come in at about 12 to 12.5 pounds.

Here's my question, should I stick with the M3 or should I go for the Demo 8? Remember, the only reason I wanted to get a new bike was to same weight for racing purposes. I realize that few if any, especially for the Demo 8, have ridden any of these bike, but since I haven't either, let me know what you would do. I'd like to hear from 2005 V10 owners about their thoughts on how their bikes handle in rock gardens, as the suspension is the same as the M3.

Thanks.
    Last edited by hbfrdh1; 12-28-2004 at 08:22 PM.

Are you talking to me?

Demo=24" rear wheel, right?

Quote Originally Posted by hbfrdh1
    I currently ride a 2003 Giant DH Comp. I've been getting heavily into racing, and I ablosutely love the way my Giant handles. The only problem is that the size large frame weights about 14.5 pounds (that weight is from a Giant retailer who got that info from Giant) and i have skinny legs, so I decided to get a new frame. After doing much research, I decided to get an M3, as it weighs 10.8 pounds and the grometry seems to fit me right. IMy delivery date on the M3 has been pushed out like 3 times already, but since I'm getting some "extras" with the frame from my LBS, I've been patiently hanging in there. The current E.T.A. on the frame is late-January to mid-Februrary

I've now got the opportunity to buy a Demo 8 at a rediculous price; I can't say exactly how much because it wouldn't be proper if you know what I mean. I can get the frame in Februrary, and I'm talking about the one with the Fox DH40RC or whatever the heck they call their top-of-the-line DH fork. The geometry looks pretty good, and the frame will come in at about 12 to 12.5 pounds.

Here's my question, should I stick with the M3 or should I go for the Demo 8? Remember, the only reason I wanted to get a new bike was to same weight for racing purposes. I realize that few if any, especially for the Demo 8, have ridden any of these bike, but since I haven't either, let me know what you would do. I'd like to hear from 2005 V10 owners about their thoughts on their bikes, as the suspension is the same as the M3.

Thanks.

If you are looking to podium at the races, stick with the Intense.
    gfy

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    Uh.....NO.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Former Noob Herder
    you be thinkin of the BigHit
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Yo Paseo El Scream
    what setup is ur m3 gonna have?
    Banshee Bikes
    Honorary Member Of The 200 Club
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    ..."if i can jump it on my feet whilst running as fast as i can, then it aint worth jumping on a bike"...

Bad@ss NYC Freerider
    LOL!

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    you be thinkin of the BigHit
    I don't get it? Sorry if I sound lame.

[edit] Oh, the 24" bit. Yeah, I would be running 26" front & rear [edit]
    Last edited by hbfrdh1; 12-28-2004 at 08:29 PM.

go big or go home

Here's my question, should I stick with the M3 or should I go for the Demo 8? Remember, the only reason I wanted to get a new bike was to same weight for racing purposes. I realize that few if any, especially for the Demo 8, have ridden any of these bike, but since I haven't either, let me know what you would do. I'd like to hear from 2005 V10 owners about their thoughts on how their bikes handle in rock gardens, as the suspension is the same as the M3.

Thanks.

stick with the m3, better value i think....even tho the demo 8 is nice too, i wouldnt worry about the bike so much as the rider...

Get off yer arse and on yere bike!

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeHucker
    what setup is ur m3 gonna have?
    888RC Fork with go-ride lower crown
    Sun Ringle Singletrack rims
    Sun Ringle Abaah Lawhill TA rear hub
    Truvativ Holzfeller 40T cranks
    Kenda Nevegal tires
    Truvativ BB
    Truvativ Holzfeller pedals
    Either MRP System 3 or Truvativ BoxGuide with 10mm polycarb bashring

Yo Paseo El Scream
    ya with all that, it would probably be a better race bike(m3) and since you already ordered the frame, it would be better
    Banshee Bikes
    Honorary Member Of The 200 Club
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    ..."if i can jump it on my feet whilst running as fast as i can, then it aint worth jumping on a bike"...

mtbr member
    Don't know much about either bikes, but if you were to go with racin and only racin, go with the M3, if you want more than racing, go with a demo. i'd be more than happy to take that demo 8, to buy it at that low price.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bentimby
    i wouldnt worry about the bike so much as the rider...
    screw it then, save some money and just get a hardtail.

Bad@ss NYC Freerider
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    screw it then, save some money and just get a hardtail.
    heh...cant wait to see people start racing DH on hardtails again. **** it, ima do that next season.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_Jako
    heh...cant wait to see people start racing DH on hardtails again. **** it, ima do that next season.
    Hey, remember that there was a HT DH class at Snow Summit. Damn...Snow Summit...now I'm gonna cry!!!

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    Don't know much about either bikes, but if you were to go with racin and only racin, go with the M3, if you want more than racing, go with a demo. i'd be more than happy to take that demo 8, to buy it at that low price.
    I would be doing some light freeriding with it, but nothing more than 12' drops.

www.sirbikealotracing.com
    i still don't think the demo's were ever intended for racing specific purposes, they are too heavy
    if you want a pure race biker there are non more pure than an m3, stick with it

Former Noob Herder
    I would be doing some light freeriding with it, but nothing more than 12' drops.
    dude, Intenses are not for you in that case, the Demo8 would be more suited. Intenses are sorta like disposable race bikes...

north bush biker

shouldn't

hey zedro shouldn't you be in bed by now. j/k i agree demo 8 would be better.
    RIDE HARD,RIDE FAST

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by NRTH SHORE
    hey zedro shouldn't you be in bed by now. j/k i agree demo 8 would be better.
    should....ya....but insomnia and cabin fever have other plans for me....

hey look the room just turned purple.....

Xtremely Moderate
    12' drops is "light freeride"?

Geez I'm old.........
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

/dev/null
    The biggest chunk of the weight savings will come from your build kit.

Something to think about:

You break your chainstays on your race bike. Intense will have a set to you somewhere between 1 and 36 months ("It's in stock." "No, it's not in stock but they're being made." "They're at the powdercoaters." "Sorry, this batch was yellow, you have to wait for your black one."). Specialized can have the part to you in a week.

And hey, ride time is priceless, so if you'll be riding it as soon as you get it, that might be worth the Demo alone. You can podium with either bike - given the variables involved, I'd do with the Demo8, strictly from a warrenty/support perspective.

If you want to save weight 'cause you've got skinny legs, go with light tires and wheels, and a tubeless setup. Two pounds of rotating weight will feel like a lot more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_Jako
    Im in

mtbr member

Demo 8

would be better if you also want to "freeride". If you have 2nd bike, then the M3 could be your dedicated race bike.

Key would be a light build for the the either bike. After you chose, then work on the skill...that will make the biggest difference.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbikealot
    i still don't think the demo's were ever intended for racing specific purposes, they are too heavy
    if you want a pure race biker there are non more pure than an m3, stick with it
    Actually, Specialized decided to come out with the Demo 8 for racing purposes.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by binary visions
    If you want to save weight 'cause you've got skinny legs, go with light tires and wheels, and a tubeless setup. Two pounds of rotating weight will feel like a lot more.
    I have a pretty light setup right now, and I was planning on transferring the parts from my giant onto the Intense. The whole reason I started looking into a new bike was for shaving a few pounds. So that throws another issue into the whole thing. Is my spending a couple Gs to save a few pounds for racing purposes worth it? I don't know, I just can't seem to make up my freakin' mind. Looks live everybody posting on this thread is evenly devided.

Also, the Haro that Kyle Strait used to ride was an M1/Uzzi hybrid, right? If that was the case, then shouldn't the M3 hold up to a couple of 8' - 12' drops?

BTW, thanks to everybody for you input, I really appreciate it!

I wanna talk to Samson!

Also, the Haro that Kyle Strait used to ride was an M1/Uzzi hybrid, right? If that was the case, then shouldn't the M3 hold up to a couple of 8' - 12' drops?
    thats probably the worst analogy ever...maybe worse than bj's marzo minimum and maximum lines one...

the m3 is built to be a light, race specific dh bike...not a freeride bike. heres what i say; get the demo 8, seriously i dont think it will hold you back in races. it wont fail on freeride type stuff, and to top it off specialized really stands behind their stuff.

mtbr member
    since your going to be doing freeride, then get the demo 8. cause i don't think a full race bike will do too well on freeride. well thats what i know, correct me if i'm wrong.

mtbr member

The M3 is more likely to break...

...during you're mild "freeride" sessions and the turn around time for replacements and warranty is not efficient as Specialized.

Again, if you have another bike to play with, then get the M3. If this is your only bike, then go with the Demo.

But if "bling" is important...then M3.

Trials Superstar
    Yes, the Haro he rode was a combo of a M1 front end and an Uzzi rear triangle. I would stay away from that frame after seeing Kyle's stash of broken frames. (3 broken Haro/Intense frames). I think thats why he went to Specialized hahaha. Get the Demo man
    Please purchase products from JensonUSA your #1 Internet Dealer for MTB parts!

AS SEEN ON THE X-GAMES and GRAVITY GAMES! How would you like to go 80 MPH on a bike 4 inches from the ground? Well you can learn how at GravityBike.com the home for BMX Speed Machines!

2004-2005 Sponsors
    Maxxis Tires
    Targert Sponsor
    Azonic
    Hayes

/dev/null
    I have a pretty light setup right now, and I was planning on transferring the parts from my giant onto the Intense. The whole reason I started looking into a new bike was for shaving a few pounds. So that throws another issue into the whole thing. Is my spending a couple Gs to save a few pounds for racing purposes worth it?
    How much does your total setup weigh now?

If you're into the whole weight saving thing, that's fine, but unless you're racing the semi-pro or pro circuit, there's very little chance that all of your weight savings will actually have much affect on your race times. Sure, it'll be nice to have a lighter bike, but saving 2-3 lbs. out of 48 isn't going to have a huge affect if it's not rotating weight.

It's not that black-and-white.

First of all, Kyle Strait rides 10x smoother than most of us mere mortals. Second, he was getting replacement parts any time he needed, so you really can't tell whether or not the bike was holding up.

And anyway, it's not that the M3 won't hold up to a couple drops. It may even hold up to a LOT of drops. Eventually, though, all things break, and the M3 is going to break sooner and be harder to get replacement parts for than the Demo8.

The M3 would make a great bike to race on. It's just not as likely to stand up to daily drops and jumps.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Thanks to everybody for your input. I'm going for the Demo 8. I've got a feeling that the M3 would be a better race bike, but after what i've been hearing about the time it takes to get replacement parts (I've heard things like this from Intense sponsored riders as well), I'd rather not be left without a race bike for months on end. Plus, I really doubt that I would hate the Demo 8

I've sat on a Demo 9 medium frame, and it seem to fit very well for somebody as tall as me. I might get a medium, then. I'll keep you guys posted.

Once again, thanks.