lower rise handle bar- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

lower rise handle bar

I saw poeple using low rise bar or even flat bar on DH bike,can someone school me on that?whats the advantage of lower front end?

thanks

mtbr member
    better cornering... easier to pump... etc...

Premium Member
    More weight over the front wheel for cornering, more aggressive stance.

StraightOuttaCompton
    dont forget you lose weight.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    how about on drop off?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    on drops? no gain..

N* Bomber Crew
    I LOVE low rise wide bars. You can really get super low and corner/rail stuff at higher speeds. Feels good on tech too, wider bars give you more stability. If you're doing skinnies or huge drops you should get 1.5" rises or more.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

VIP
    Jun 2006
    Back in the mid 90s when the risers came in you were running the same travel forks as the XCers generally, hence the need to bring the bars up for much more stable descending.
    I can't believe it's taken so long for people to remember we're now running 200mm up front instead of 60! I guess everyone just goes with the flow/what they know (i'm a poet) myself included. I look at my old 2" risers and think holy ****, I could never ride with those now.
    The first company to mass produce strong flat bars with sweep will be onto something.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by iwanttolookatpics
    Back in the mid 90s when the risers came in you were running the same travel forks as the XCers generally, hence the need to bring the bars up for much more stable descending.
    I can't believe it's taken so long for people to remember we're now running 200mm up front instead of 60! I guess everyone just goes with the flow/what they know (i'm a poet) myself included. I look at my old 2" risers and think holy ****, I could never ride with those now.
    The first company to mass produce strong flat bars with sweep will be onto something.
    give a look to syntace.

I agree with flat or low rise bars. I' m not tall and with big fork and riser bar , it's difficult for me to build grip onto the front wheel. And what's more surprising, I find easier to manual with a lower front end.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I think a low cockpit has it's advantages up to a certain height of the rider. For taller riders you reach a point of dimishing returns and begin to resemble one of those trained circus bears that are forced to ride a 16" bike around the ring.

It's all personal preference, but low cockipts, just like high ones, are not for everybody.

Capricious youth...
    I switched from an older Easton OS riser bar to a Funn OS low-rise bar that was about 2" wider, and MAN... what a frickin' difference. Felt really crappy the first ride, but by mid day I was loving it more than I ever thought I could.
    Meh.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojai Bicyclist
    More weight over the front wheel for cornering, more aggressive stance.
    key thing....lower center of gravity
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0